PDA

View Full Version : Canopy Road, C & C welcomed, xpost landscape

cchapin
10-11-2013, 12:01 PM
This is a small painting that I am working on - 9 x 12 - using various soft pastels with a violet watercolor underpainting. It is based on a photo I took last fall just outside of town. Comments and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks for looking.

Davkin
10-11-2013, 06:50 PM
I give it an A+. Great sense of light and wonderful color.

David

bobbymac
10-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Light and airy, very nice. Bob

madijen
10-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Love it. Shadows are wonderful. Karen

fireman
10-12-2013, 11:44 AM
wonderful painting, the colors make it feel very outdoorsy. It would frame really well and look super hanging on a wall.
B/ob

cchapin
10-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Thank you everyone. I appreciate your responses and kind words.

Ruthie57
10-12-2013, 12:46 PM
I just love it!

bnoonan
10-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Light and a sense of time, place and temperature. It's all in there!!!!

Ok, see you later... I'm off to go take a walk in there... Barb

gecko99
10-13-2013, 04:52 AM
This did all sorts of pleasing things to my eyes as it opened, absolutely beautiful colours and the scene is wonderfully 'airy' :)

If I absolutely had to pick one thing you might look at, it would be the shadows on the grass, they are a bit regimented though they could of course have been like that in real life :)

The road/path is exceptionally well done, great work!

Nicole

pastel65
10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Perfect. Pam:wave:

kentiessen
10-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Nicely done- good drawing, composition, and the purple/yellow theme works well! You might break up the spacing of the shadows a bit more.

artsask
10-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Lovely.

Trudi

jackiesimmonds
10-17-2013, 03:52 AM
here in the UK during the autumn, when the foliage is this colour, I am always entranced by the contrast between foliage and the blue of the sky. Given that there are very long shadows in your image, I imagine there weren't too many clouds around, and perhaps the sky might have been bluer? I kinda miss that glorious colour contrast.

However, this is purely subjective, and if you are happy with it as is, then leave well alone, it certainly does have a light and airy feel.

Just one other small thing. It is important to remember that shadows are transparent, and the colour they hit often shows thro the shadow. You have used a blue on the left of the picture, under the big bush to our left, and used the same blue onto the road. This shadow would change colour according to the verge beneath it, and then the road. It is never a good idea to use an overall blue for all shadows. Shadows on green are a darker form of green; shadows on orange are a darker form of orange, shadows on grey or white are often bluish.

Christinal
10-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Beautiful! I want to be there.

Shadows on green are a darker form of green; shadows on orange are a darker form of orange, shadows on grey or white are often bluish.

A mystery has been solved for me.

AllisonR
10-17-2013, 09:30 AM
This is really lovely. I like your creeping purple shadows, they contrast so nicely with your leaves. interesting, I didn't know one could use pastels over a watercolor painting, though it makes sense.

cchapin
10-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks again for the comments. Allison, I don't do a detailed watercolor painting. For this one I used violet and basically did a value study.

Jackie, thank you so much for your suggestions. I will definitely make some adjustments. I love it when you comment on my paintings - I always learn so much!