PDA

View Full Version : Andy's Dream - Oil Pastel Painting

Leanne
09-18-2003, 12:28 AM
I had been posting updates in a WIP thread on this piece, but it is complete now and I feel it should stand alone!

Title: Andy's Dream
Size: 16x20
Ground: Canvas Panel
Medium: Oil pastel painting, india ink used in lights and black border

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2003/27917-andysdreamcm.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2003/27917-andysdreamcmcu.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2003/27917-andysdreamcmcut.jpg

Dyin
09-18-2003, 01:24 AM
it's beautiful and you should be very proud...what does his mom think???

Leanne
09-18-2003, 08:25 AM
Thank you so much!

His mom loves it, she has been so extremely helpful through all of this, starting with allowing me to use her pup as a subject for my piece.

Happy to havea day off today though, now to stand back and just look, and of course tweak the digital image colors to match as exact as possible for submission. ;)

BTDogMom
09-19-2003, 12:00 PM
it's awesome and Andy is WONDERFUL!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

gnu
09-21-2003, 04:14 AM
HI Leanne..wow You're a prolific artist..I hope you do a lesson on oil pastel for us..this is awesome!!
another CP artist too(amongst other mediums..) great!!:clap: :clap:
did you do any solvent blending on this??

tonii
09-21-2003, 04:32 AM
Leanne,

You've finished it with flying colours.:clap:

I feel like buying some OPs to experiment with. Love the expression on the dogs face.

well done!

Tanya:)

blissfullyunaware
09-21-2003, 04:46 AM
Leanne, Andy's never looked better :D ! :clap: :clap: I do love the creative way you approached the background (ergo - Andy's dream, to go to the big city and win trophies at the shows?) The background colors set the mood in this perfectly! Andy has such a look of expectation! Thanks for sharing this WIP, I have enjoyed watching it come together! I'm sure his "parents" love it too! Sharon

Leanne
09-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Thank you all so much for your generous and kind comments!

I am thrilled with the results - a little disappointed in how my representation turned out, so I've taken him to a professional photographer to have him photographed and I should be able to get a much better color representation from that photo scan.

Andy's mom is quite pleased with the likeness, she has been such a great help in making sure that I nailed every AKC judges key areas for a perfect Chocolate Lab. I am so grateful to her for that!

Gnu: I blend with turp, either after I lay down the color(s) or I go right from the stick. :)

Tanya: I love it that my work is inspiring enough for you to try out OP's! I really love them, and I love creating such deep hues from multiple sticks. It's a lot like blending from the tube, but I feel like I have more control using OP's this way. I hope to see something from you in OP soon! And just in case I miss it on the board please feel free to send me a message and let me know when you've put something up!

Sharon: You nailed the symbolism of the piece. The AKC/Eukanuba Championship is in Long Beach, CA. This is a view of Long Beach from across the bay, and I've replaced the tallest building (usually the most significant in the landscape in my opinion) with the AKC Trophy.

Thanks again, all! I will try to remember to get back here and post a better scan from the photo. (crossing my fingers that it turns out great!)