PDA

View Full Version : need advice

michaelvs
10-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi there!
I have several watercolors done for me by an artist on commission for my new web site. I have some concerns about this one. It looks a bit flat to me. Can someone review it tell me what to adjust here?

Thank you

~JMW~
10-08-2013, 04:17 PM
The top sky is so strong and colorful it overpowers the rest of it..
the mid ground buildings and boat need to be stronger w/ shadows to add more depth. IMO

Klecks
10-08-2013, 04:59 PM
As I understand, you are not the artist who painted this piece?

michaelvs
10-08-2013, 05:02 PM
As I understand, you are not the artist who painted this piece?
I am not.. I can ask the artist to make some (minor) changes for me... if it's not something significant.

Klecks
10-08-2013, 05:17 PM
I think you should discuss your concerns with the artist, if you know what you don't like about the painting.

michaelvs
10-08-2013, 05:34 PM
this is exactly what I am going to do... but I cannot just tell her "something is wrong". I need to figure out first what I want to adjust/change

michaelvs
10-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I think you should discuss your concerns with the artist, if you know what you don't like about the painting.

this is exactly what I am going to do... but I cannot just tell her "something is wrong". I need to figure out first what I want to adjust/change.. if it's possible

wineberry
10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
It is way too busy , which is confusing to the viewer.

Yorky
10-08-2013, 05:52 PM
For such a complicated scene the sky should be a simple graded wash.

Doug

Klecks
10-08-2013, 06:12 PM
There is nothing wrong with this painting.

Sure, you can collect reasons for or against every aspect of it, everybody has a different taste, every artist would paint it in a different way.
The artist did this painting in her way, it is a good painting, nothing wrong.
Trust the artist and pay her a fair price.

For me it seems a bit unfair to let people here look for errors in third party work. Honi soit qui mal y pense. :cat:

lydianicholson
10-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Well i feel if your not happy with a painting you have had done you should tell the artist i would not expect anyone to buy my work if i did not like it. I do agree with others about the sky and being to busy

lydianicholson
10-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Well i feel if your not happy with a painting you have had done you should tell the artist i would not expect anyone to buy my work if i did not like it. I do agree with others about the sky and being to busy i do commissions and i would hate it if a person was not truthful if they liked it or not

michaelvs
10-08-2013, 06:55 PM
There is nothing wrong with this painting.

Sure, you can collect reasons for or against every aspect of it, everybody has a different taste, every artist would paint it in a different way.
The artist did this painting in her way, it is a good painting, nothing wrong.
Trust the artist and pay her a fair price.

For me it seems a bit unfair to let people here look for errors in third party work. Honi soit qui mal y pense. :cat:

I am not looking for mistakes, this artwork is very close to what I want.. but there are a few things that I want to adjust here. I have an agreement with the artist (and she is absolutely Ok with this) that she would adjust it according to my comments.

webLes
10-08-2013, 10:18 PM
:clap: :clap:

You seem to have a understanding with the artist , the thing is talk it out with her and tell her to adjust whatever is that you are unhappy with . Art is a personal thing to each his own . Ask ten people you may get ten different answers . I personally wouldn't buy anything that I was unhappy with nor would I sell to a person who was unhappy with my work after commissioning.
She has done a lot of work in the painting but in my opinion you can put too much in a painting is the one thing I find disturbing to me .

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

janinco
10-08-2013, 10:28 PM
That's a ton of work on the rigging! She did a nice job.

Since this is going to be used on a website you can adjust it a bit in a photo editing program to see if you can get it more the way you want (if it's not a composition issue). I just hit "auto adjust" in Corel and this is what it did:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Oct-2013/964887-ship.jpg

Jan

Antiqueteacher
10-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Michael, welcome to the Watercolor Forum.

I have moved your thread to the Watercolor Studio because this is not a finished painting, but a question. The Studio will have artists that will give you advice.

Katherine

pjartwc
10-09-2013, 07:04 AM
I agree that the top is too much competition for the very detailed ship. If it was painted on a high quality paper, some of the deep blue can be removed on the right side leaving a dark on the left blending to a lighter value on the right. I would also lighten the very dark on the bottom just a little. If the artist is hesitant, I would leave it as is. You wouldn't want to take a change of it getting ruined.

Susaleena
10-15-2013, 10:32 PM
The top sky is so strong and colorful it overpowers the rest of it..
the mid ground buildings and boat need to be stronger w/ shadows to add more depth. IMO

I agree, my eyes instantly fell onto the sky and it's boldness. Lovely piece overall but the sky is definitely stealing the attention away from the details in this painting.

indraneel
10-16-2013, 01:48 AM
If this is a large size painting, it might already be ok. Reducing the size will make it extremely busy. But one thing I notice that is probably making it very busy is the lack of value contrast between the boat (masts and all) and the background houses. Making one or the other darker might make it look less busy. The reference probably has darker houses and shiny masts. But, I think, probably a darker boat and masts might look better here. That will allow the artist to model the round masts better and also the dark masts will help connect the darkened boat with the dark overpowering sky right at the top. I would first change the values in photoshop to be sure that it will work, before adjusting the painting. ... just a thought. Could you show the reference? I suspect it was not quite right and needed a value interpretation and adjustment before painting from it.