PDA

View Full Version : Summer's Majesty (xpost from WC gallery)

sketchNpaint
10-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Mostly WN's with some ink accents. 9X12 on Fluid 140 lb cold press
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2013/116170-Summers_Majesty.jpg

Any C&C welcome. I have one comment, I think if I had it to do over again, I'd remove the vine coming down into the painting (or going out of the painting, however one would look at it) and add a flower to the far left to balance things.

querin
10-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Lovely texture, i agree about the vine it does take the eye out of the painting.
Querin

Cheryl Nielson
10-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Very nice painting! I looked at the butterfly and flowers first... I think if you anchored another vine on the left side coming from out of the picture and going to the other vine behind the butterfly, it would triangulate the butterfly. And tone down the color of the vine some so it's more of a negative...what do you think?
Cheryl

Vivien Maloney
10-08-2013, 03:01 PM
A beautiful painting Sharla. But the vine does take the eye up and out of the painting.
One solution would be to crop the top leaf, just a bit, leaving only the bottom part of the top leaf showing, (the pointed end). That would make the eye stop there and come back down to the butterfly and flower again. Try it first with a piece of paper or even your hand to see what you thnk...I think it could work well.

sketchNpaint
10-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Thank you for commenting, querin, Cheryl & Viv

I like the suggestion about added more vines to the background. I think that would help it. The background is already pretty busy and there's nothing from preventing me from adding to it.

Charlie's Mum
10-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Over all I like this too, but yes, I think I'd add another vine too - allow it to make a wandering pattern to take the eye round.
I think maybe a lighter blue sky would help too as you have no really bright lights ..... so perhaps leaving white highlights would also enhance the piece? JMHO of course!:D