PDA

View Full Version : Have Some Fall Fun and Draw These!

ArtistMelinda
10-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Went to Home Depot last week and they had bags of wonderful decorative gourds. Maybe they are common to your non-tropical folks but we get quite a thrill from them here in Florida :) I spent all afternoon sorting and arranging and posing them for photographs. I ended up with this composition to get me motivated. It was so much fun I invite you to grab some gourds and go for it!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2013/978220-gourd_trio_010.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2013/978220-2013-09-24_19.59.21.jpg

robertsloan2
10-03-2013, 07:40 PM
I love these! What a gorgeous variety of gourds. I especially like that still life with all of them, contrasting colors and textures. The group of three studies is gorgeous too, though, all of them are wonderful. I like the way you handled the backgrounds on those studies, they aren't dull at all and you give a real sense of dimension there.

Would you consider setting up those interesting gourds and take some reference photos to post in this thread or over in Soft Pastel Talk with the challenge? Some of us can't easily get to Home Depot to buy gourds and you've found much more interesting ones than I've seen in the past few years. I'm not familiar with all the varieties, that dark green squared off one is especially interesting, I never saw one like that. But I would love to paint it and rather than try to copy your painting, it'd be great if you snapped a photo reference. I think this would be a lovely challenge!

Heck, it would fit in well with the Autumn Colors Spotlight challenge this month too!

pastel65
10-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Beautiful. Will have to stop in at food stand in NJ to get some gourds since you inspired me. Pam

Christinal
10-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Oh, these are beautiful! As a fellow Floridian I completely understand the excitement of finding them!

nelvia
10-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Would be kind of special to frame and hang these four painting ga together. I haven't seen these in Georgia either but they are beauties and texture would be fun to try. Very nice

bnoonan
10-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Oh the fun you must have had with every bump and stripe!!! Nice collection. I especially like the last painting and how they overlap like an abstract painting.

B

NRC
10-07-2013, 03:07 PM
The trio remind me of dancers; the blue one brings to mind the flamenco. Colourful, energetic ...lovely work!

ArtistMelinda
10-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Would you consider setting up those interesting gourds and take some reference photos to post in this thread or over in Soft Pastel Talk with the challenge?

I didn't know how to do that so I made a new post with the pics included :)