PDA

View Full Version : Book list 2: art from impressionism to contemporary period.

artbyjune
10-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Please list books on the Modern era in art here. Art and artists after 1850 approx.

Add books you particularly liked and give a brief commentary if poss.

artbyjune
10-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Frida Kahlo- the paintings: by Hayden Herrera. Blommsbury 1993. Beautiful colour plates. Plenty of background and biographical material.

trafford
10-07-2013, 07:38 AM
These aren't books but three art DVDs.

"La Belle Noiseuse" with Michel Picolli, Jane Birkin and Emmanuelle Beart
About an artist and his vision with lots and lots of drawings of Beart. It's been edited down but I'm sure it is still good.

"Camille Claudel" with Isabelle Adjani and Gerard Depardeau
The student and mistress of Rodin who slips into madness. A good artist in her own right.

"Hans Hoffman: Artist/Teacher
Narrated by Robert DeNiro
My favorite documentary to be inspired by. Former students discuss how he influenced their work, plus his teaching techniques. He was also quite a charicter. DeNiro's parents studied with him.

More info on Amazon. These should all be at your library.

More later:heart:

tyree
10-07-2013, 12:23 PM
my boss just gave me a birthday prize today....it was a book by Banksy called Wall and Piece....wonderfully clever graffiti artist....tyree

trafford
10-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Here is an old one...but should be in the library

"My Life in Art" by Ludwig Bemelmans (the Madeline guy) Very funny.

"Ben Shahn" by Frances K. Pohl...his writings and art work. I love this artist.

"Wanda Gag" by Winnon...wonderful prints and artistic life style.

"Mary Frank" by Hayden Herrera....Terra cotta sculptures and monoprints. She is now older and does mostly paintings, which I don't care for as much as the early stuff.

"Artists in Their Studios".....This is an older book, that I can't find at the moment to tell you the publisher. It's for the artistic nosy parkers. Some gorgeous big studios (Picasso) and some one rooms where a couple painted all their lives, with canvases piled up all around them.

artbyjune
11-16-2013, 02:13 AM
'Egon Schiele', by Reinhard Steiner.Taschen 2011. I like Taschen publications for art books. This one has beautiful photos.

'Desperate Romantics', BBC DVD. Wonderful mini series on the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. A drama of their intertwined lives.

trafford
11-26-2013, 07:25 AM
Two How to books by Robert Kaupelis with some interesting exercises.

"Learning to Draw" and "Experimental Drawing"

and "The Complete Printmaker" Ross-Romano-Ross. Not only How To, but great just to read the different ways of printing.

artbyjune
01-01-2014, 10:43 AM
DVD;- Gauguin, the full story, narrated by Waldemar Januszczak

Very full biography of Gauguin, with visits to Tahiti, Martinique, Denmark and so on to retrace Gauguin's steps.

stlukesguild
03-17-2015, 09:07 PM
The Shock of the New- Robert Hughes

About Modern Art- David Sylvester

Magical_Realist
07-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Man in a Blue Scarf: On Sitting for a Portrait by Lucian Freud, by Martin Gayford.

A Bigger Message: Conversations with David Hockney, also by Martin Gayford.

Antonio López García: Drawings, by Antonio López García and Francisco Calvo Serraller; and Antonio López García: Paintings, by Francisco Calvo Seraller and Miguel Delibes.

Also, if you get a chance to see Quince Tree Sun (El sol del membrillo), do so; it's a documentary that follows Antonio López García's attempt to paint an ever-changing quince tree in his garden over the course of many months, in all weather, and is an interesting glimpse into the world of one artist at work.

Vincent van Gogh: The Drawings, by Colta Ives, et.al. is a massive exhibition catalog produced for a major exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 2005. If you love Van Gogh's drawings, this is the book to have.