PDA

View Full Version : First Pastel Attempt - Apple

CMcLaughlin
10-03-2013, 03:36 AM
I'm a beginning artist (I have been learning drawing and CP for a few months), and just got some soft pastels. Here's one of my first attempts - I welcome tips for improvement.

I apologize for the fluorescent colors. I used ordinary sandpaper, and the colors all came out way too bright. Also, the soft set somehow didn't have a real red, so I mixed a dark pink and orange. I used Kohinoor hard and soft pastels on burgundy paper, finished size approx. 3.5x4".

I tried using yellow for the highlights, but it doesn't show up very well. And the bright orange midtone ends up looking brighter. Any suggestions on how to get a better edge between the picture and the background? I did do the background first and then tried to touch up both sides at the end with the edge of the pastels. I guess this is where a pastel pencil would be helpful!

bnoonan
10-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Hurrah for new beginnings. The textures are lovely. I think if you can watch a few more videos and/or read a bit more on techniques you will learn this medium very well.

Barb

Christinal
10-03-2013, 11:51 AM
CM, I like the bright colors. :) I've found Paul Taggart on U-Tube to be very helpful. He does pastels, oils and acrylics. He's, IMO, a born teacher. His explanations are clear and precise and easily understood. He's got a series on learning to paint and somewhere in the middle of it he takes you through a pastel painting in teaching form.

trailrider
10-03-2013, 03:46 PM
There is a wonderful simplicity to this. Love the form. Feels a little like Pop Art (Andy Warhol style).

DAK723
10-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the pastel forum! You've done a nice job on this! Using ordinary sandpaper is a good way to learn what sanded paper is all about without paying the price of artist quality sanded paper.

Don