PDA

View Full Version : Buster xposted in A&W

Sarah Dowson
10-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Hi this beautiful cat is Buster.
A domestic long haired cat belonging to Sandi1 who kindly uploaded his photo to the gallery for us to paint. Thank you so much.

I couldn't resist this as it brought back fond memories of my Kitties, now no longer with me.

I am a keen gardener and they used to follow me around the garden and, they to curled up in the sun amongst the plants, close to where I was working.

Mostly pastel pencils on Mi-Teintes Touch paper. Size 7"x9"

C&C's welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2013/1304117-Cat_in_flowers_Web.jpg

rugman
10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
Fantastic kitty! Lovely piece, flowers add a sense of 'elegance'

Equus Art
10-02-2013, 07:31 PM
You did a wonderful job on Buster! The fur texture and the color of the eyes are beautiful. I'm not sure I'm crazy about the pink flowers as my eye was immediately drawn to them because of their color, which isn't repeated anywhere else, so they stick out and bother me a little.

I also am curious about the size of Buster's two pupils, our left one is large the right one is a small slit. At least that's how I am viewing it on my monitor. Pupils react to light consentually, which in ophthalmic terms, means that they both dilate and constrict the same unless there is a brain condition which has damaged the nerves. In other words, if you shine a light on the left eye, but leave the right eye in the dark, the right pupil will still reach as if the light has been shined on it as well. Double check your reference photo and see what those pupils are doing.

Other than those two things for me, this painting is one of your best.

Cat

NRC
10-02-2013, 08:51 PM
I think it's great you put Buster in the garden against the plants. Good for you to have a background added to his portrait. I love the texture you've achieved in his fur; do agree with Cat about the pink flowers and his right eye. If I were to make a suggestion it would be add shadows. Maybe finger blend diagonally some of that green in the lower right into his fur and slightly green the upper left corner.... add more shadow under his chin. Well ..... or something like that. I'm guessing his face would come forward a bit if those corners areas were pushed back.

irmaleo
10-03-2013, 07:05 AM
this is very verly lovely!! I agree with Cat and Nell, but I only saw it when they mentioned it. :-) about the eyes. Sometimes you don't see it your self... but I love this!!

Sarah Dowson
10-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Just to say thank you all for your helpful comments. I am going to make a few adjustments as suggested.
As for the flowers, they were one of the reasons that I painted Buster, I really liked how he was tucked in behind them. I felt it was different and very pretty.

Theodorablau
10-03-2013, 07:25 AM
You did a great job on the cat! Like Cat (equusart) though I am not sure about the flowers. They are very bright, they are close to the edge of the painting and they draw my eyes right out of the picture plane. IMHO you have to decide what this painting is about: the cat or the flowers? If it is the cat - and of course it is :wink2: - then the flowers in their present intensity and position are a distraction to the viewer. If this about a cat in a flower bed then they should be more of them, not just a few on the edge.
Dorothea

pastel65
10-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Really nice painting. Brought a smile to my face. Pam