PDA

View Full Version : First plein air pastel in a while - XP

Davkin
10-01-2013, 09:10 PM
It's been about 5 or 6 months I beleive. I saw this while eating my lunch at the park and decided the light would be good in the evening too. I raced home from work, threw together a pastel setup and rushed to the park.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2013/201970-pastel-007.jpg
I used Colorfix paper which something I haven't done in years. It was toned a dusty rose color, not sure that was the best choice.

David

Donna T
10-02-2013, 08:33 AM
It must have been hard going back to work after seeing that kind of view at lunch, David. Really nice plein air piece! Maybe the rose color of the paper helped to keep your greens under control? They look good!

toniov
10-02-2013, 08:52 AM
I think is a very well done !
Every tree have is particular color and the texture is beatiful !

allydoodle
10-02-2013, 09:32 AM
I think you ended up with a beautiful plein air painting David. The paper color was an excellent choice (IMHO). The peeks of paper coming through both unifies ands tames the greens. Nice work!

Davkin
10-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks everybody. I just realized the color is more saturated in person, the photo is a bit washed out, at least on my work computer. I have just a laptop at home and I don't like the screen, it's hard to judge photos on it accurately. I need to get me another digital device to keep at home to check the photos on, maybe a normal monitor or a digital photo frame.

You're right Diedre! I was real tempted to go home and get the pastel kit instead of go back to work! :lol:

David

bnoonan
10-02-2013, 10:43 AM
David, Hurrah for painting what you saw, when you saw it!

I was thinking a darker paper would have allowed less "light" in between before I read that you used a rose paper. Maybe it's just right given all the green. I feel a sense of balance.

May you have continued opportunities to paint more. B

rugman
10-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Nice one David!

Davkin
10-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks Barbara, Ron

David

pastel65
10-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Great painting. I have only tried plein air twice with a class and not too good at it but I hope with practice I can improve. You inspired me. Pam

Davkin
10-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks Pam. I'm glad I've inspired you to get outside with your pastels. Plein air painting can be a royal pain at times so it can be hard to motivate ourselves to do it but like most things the hardest part is just getting started, usually I'm happy I did.

David