PDA

View Full Version : Nicole's Beach 16x12 watercolor on paper

gracet
09-30-2013, 05:13 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2013/116430-watercolor_for_wetcanvas.jpg

Please let me know what you think. I am not sure it is quite finished. Do I need to make the focal point more pronounced? I appreciate your advice. Thank you.

pjartwc
10-01-2013, 05:07 AM
Very nicely done. I love the water. Yes, you do need to make the focal point more pronounced. I would suggest perhaps a bright, red bikini to start. I would also darken the water around the girl in a few areas (don't outline) Notice how well her hair stands out next to the light water. You need to do the reverse for her skin.

gracet
10-01-2013, 09:37 AM
Jan, thank you so very much for your advice and kind words, they are very helpful to me. If you have any advice on the face I would love to hear it. I haven't done many at all and I feel like I have struggled with it. I know that sometimes less is more so perhaps I should leave that as area as it is? Also thanks for the link to your website, you do wonderful work :)

painterbear
10-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Grace,
Ditto to what Jan said about making the girl stand out against the water a bit more.

I like the way she is running back to the beach.

Sylvia

gracet
10-02-2013, 09:43 AM
Thank you Jan! This was from a photo I took on Cape Cod of my daughter running away from a wave (hope it downloads here). The beach is my favorite place to be and I love painting it. Thanks again.
Gracehttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2013/116430-Nicole_on_Beach_photo.jpg

gracet
10-02-2013, 09:44 AM
I meant to say Thank You Silvia!

LynnM
10-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Good advice ^^^^^. Love your water!

noge
10-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Hi Grace :wave: nice motive - nice photo
The Point is :
You shouldnt try to copy a photo exactly one bush stroke by one ;)

Artists try to use use several rules of design to make a better picture from a photo :
The "Point of interrest " is like the bride in a marriage - everything has to serve her ( most contrast light/color, should be on the person)

You painted the sea excellent but tooo dominant :wave:

painterbear
10-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Building on what Egon said ^^^, look at the color of the greenish wave behind your daughter. I could be toned down to make it less vibrant. Try different colors over a swatch of the green on a test sheet of paper to see what works best to make it that "dirty" green tone. That would also work to make her figure stand out more because she would be lighter tones against darks. ;)

Sylvia

gracet
10-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Thank you Lynn and Egon, I really appreciate all the advice. I will especially take to heart your comment on the Point of interest" Egon, this makes complete sense and something I need to be careful with.

gracet
10-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Silvia, do you mean I should make the color darker but muddier just behind my daughter? Take away the brightness yet let it blend into the rest of the water? I appreciate this advice :)

painterbear
10-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Grace,
Not necessarily darker, but toned down somewhat. If you look at the values of the water both the green and the blue are about the same value, just different colors. Here is your reference photo in gray scale which shows pretty easily what I mean:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2013/9833-BW_Nicole.jpg

When you look at this photo, you can also see what Jan meant about the ocean behind Nicole being darker in tone. See how she pops out at the viewer in this photo...she is definitely the center of interest that Egon is talking about. :D

Sylvia

olliewood0702
10-02-2013, 12:01 PM
This is nicely done; and you've been given some excellent advice. It only needs a few minor touches and it'll be ready to mat and frame. ;)

gracet
10-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Sylvia, thank you for the detail. I am going to work on it. Darla, thank you for your compliment, and I feel very fortunate to learn here.
Grace