PDA

View Full Version : Summer Light

allydoodle
09-30-2013, 12:27 PM
I've been noodling with this one for a few weeks, I think I am finished. I painted this on Wallis Pro, the size is 11 1/2" x 17". I did a Pan Pastel underpainting and finished it off with sticks. Many brands were used, including Great American, Unison, Ludwig, Art Spectrum, Girault, and Schmincke.

I tried to keep it somewhat loose, painting bunches of small flowers lends itself to a looser approach, at least that's what I find.

If anybody is interested, I did post some steps on my blog.

Thanks for looking!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2013/93075-Summer_Light_accurate_1.jpg

Ruthie57
09-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Ooooh! Luscious! I love the light on the pot and bricks. And the flowers are totally believable too. I really like the tiny bit of leaf detail in there which is just enough, IMO, to help define the pot's contents. Great stuff Chris!

water girl
09-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Success! This could have been just another pot of flowers, quietly sitting in the garden. You have brought it to life with beautiful, bold colors that say, "Look at me!" When you used the Pans, did you also go over the first layer with water?

*Marina*
09-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Wow, the light on the pot, great. The colours you used are just perfect.

cchapin
09-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Love the light and shadow. Wonderful!

Mado
09-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Lovely light on the pot and on the wall.
Great flowers and foliage too.
"Look at me " as Karen said, quite true !
Maybe a bit darker or rather cooler in the foliage on the left ?

Christinal
09-30-2013, 04:30 PM
My, my, this is gorgeous! I was just drooling over it while browsing your website and even sent the link to my mom to show her what I adore about pastels. This is the floral version of a Degas ballerina.

Donna T
09-30-2013, 04:58 PM
Wow! I love the light and the shadow and the looseness! Gorgeous work, Chris!

toniov
09-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Just wonderful !
The light and the texture.
And the colors are perfect.

pastel65
09-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Great painting. Pam:wave:

bobbymac
09-30-2013, 06:46 PM
Very nice Chris. Love the contrast between the background and foreground. As stated earlier the light on the brick is wonderful and I really like the purple/blue/pink on the shadow side of the container. Bob

jeaneade2001
09-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Love the light and shadows! Magic!

gecko99
09-30-2013, 11:04 PM
Oh top work! Makes me want to touch the sunlit stone to feel the warmth - beautiful stuff!

Nicole

allydoodle
09-30-2013, 11:22 PM
Thanks so much Ruthie :heart: . I am glad the flowers are working for you, I really was pretty loose (for me) on this one, I didn't want to get lost in all the petals. The light was what made me want to paint this, glad it's working.

Thanks very much Karen :heart: . I blocked in the entire painting using pans first, using local color with values similar to where I wanted the painting to end up. Before using the sticks I sprayed the Pans with Spectrafix, just to keep it from moving around. Worked like a charm. I did post a couple of steps on my blog if you want to see what the underpainting looked like. I don't like to use anything 'wetter' than Spectrafix on Wallis Pro, it tends to buckle. Spectrafix isn't too 'wet', and it dries quickly (evaporates I think). The Wallis hasn't buckled using this technique. Also, using too much alcohol on Wallis tends to gum up the surface, another thing I avoid. I do find I can spray the alcohol lightly and things are okay..... For wet underpaintings I stick to Uart, it doesn't buckle and the surface doesn't gum up. The two surfaces do work similarly when dry, though not exactly the same. I really love Wallis for dry work, there is something about the surface of the paper.....

Thank you Marina :heart: , I did get colorful with this one, it was fun working out the colors.

Thank you cchapin and Mado :wave: !

Thank you Christinal :heart: ! Such a nice compliment, you made my day! Degas is one of my favorite artists....... so nice of you.....

Hey Donna :heart: , how are you? Thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Thank you toniov :D , so glad you like it.

Thank you Pam :wave: !

Thanks so much Bob :) , much appreciated.

Aw shucks Jeanne :heart: , thank you!

Thanks so much Nicole :heart: !

Turpintine45
10-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Chris, gorgeous, gorgeous and what Ruthie and Karen said! Love those colours.

adlercomo
10-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Wow Chris. It's all been said but, wow.
The light on the pot and wall are really lovely.
I looked at your underpainting.
Question, how do choose the colors for your underpainting?

bnoonan
10-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi Chris, It's the wall and pot that make this sing! That lovely light and shadow that really accent the time of day. Barb

mang
10-01-2013, 06:00 PM
That's beautifully done. I especially love the colours and texture if the pot and wall

irmaleo
10-02-2013, 01:38 AM
wow!!!! this makes me happy, those colors and how you paint this!

rugman
10-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Love the light on pot and block wall, fantastic

allydoodle
10-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Hi Jen :wave: ! Thanks so much, I appreciate it.

Thanks so much aldercomo. Good question, no "pat" answer. It really just depends on my intent, and with this one my intent was to block in the painting with local color in values somewhat close to what I wanted the painting to look like. As you can see though, my values did end up darker than the underpainting, but that's okay. It gave me a roadmap, and I was able to make decisions as I went along. Sometimes I do an underpainting using some crazy colors, and that's because I want some of those colors to peek through.

Thanks so much Barb :D !

Thank you very much Margaret :heart: .

Thanks very much Irma :cat: !

Thank you Doug :) !

sketchZ1ol
10-02-2013, 04:03 PM
hello
great technical info !

however ,
( i'm basing this comment from my screen ) ...
the upper left quadrant is in conflict b/c ,
while the colour saturations are similar , and vibrant ,
the pot looks very pale , and ' lost ' - a ' dead area '
especially b/c the blue looks quite uniform , with diminished sense of shape .

* it's a good challenge for how a viewer's eye might put things together ... :)

Ed

allydoodle
10-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks Ed. I have actually made the pot a tad darker, though not much. I've also made two other small changes that were bothering me. Again, the changes are small yet I believe they do make a difference. Here is the adjusted painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2013/93075-Summer_Light_accurate_1.jpg

Sometimes the more I stare at a painting the more crazy I get. If you look towards the center of the flowers and greenery there was a spot that was bothering me about the design. A purple flower had an uncomfortable tangent with a green leaf, it's now adjusted. I also added a small cast shadow on the lip of the pot on the right, that bright spot was too uniform of a shape and I thought it needed to be broken up a bit. I also did find the shadow side of the pot to be a bit flat, so I added a touch more of the blue to give it a more rounded shape. I think it works better now. Thanks for your thoughts, we were on the same page :D .

rsmith.1141
10-03-2013, 11:50 PM
Stunning! Wow.

sketchZ1ol
10-04-2013, 01:32 PM
hello
hey Chris , i hear ya !
> sometimes a painting will demand 90% of time for the last 2% ' solution ' ... :D

setting the piece aside for awhile can be useful ;
i try to limit to two boxes ... :rolleyes:

Ed

Mettaphorica
10-06-2013, 05:13 AM
Oh, lovely. Love the colourful shadows.
cheers
Donna

AnnaLisa
10-06-2013, 01:23 PM
Thank you Chris for sharing the painting with us.

I was looking at your photos from your re-organized studio and noticed the
painting in the distance and was thinking that it would be nice to see the painting. And here it is!

Its a beautiful painting and the colours on the pot and the wall are lovely.

NRC
10-07-2013, 03:15 PM
That teeny change with the purple flower added so much more depth I think. I think the light on the pot and wall, together with textures, is my favourite part because of those gorgeous shadows. Really enjoying your looser style.

allydoodle
10-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks so much Donna.

Thank you Annalisa. I was in the midst of painting this while reorganizing my studio, a bit nutz.

Thank you Nell, I appreciate it. I'm not sure how loose I can be in a portrait, but for flowers it seems to work really well. I hate noodling with all those petals and leaves, especially in a large arrangement like this one. Loose is definitely better.