PDA

View Full Version : Four in One

Mado
09-29-2013, 09:45 AM
I had good fun doing this.
It is on a home made support : a mat board covered with a mixture of gesso and paint to which I added marble dust.
It is gritty and doesn't allow much details. A good idea when one wants to paint looser. I'll get some transparent gesso soon because it is difficult to obtain a dark color with white gesso.
40 x 40 cm,different brands of pastels, mostly Rembrandt.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2013/974816-4-en-1.jpg

jackiesimmonds
09-29-2013, 04:24 PM
marble dust needs to be used sparingly, you need very little to create a bit of tooth. Most people use too much.

You can also sand down a bit between layers to give yourself a finer finish.

Davkin
09-29-2013, 05:54 PM
These are great little studies.

David

Mado
09-30-2013, 03:11 AM
Thank you David.

marble dust needs to be used sparingly, you need very little to create a bit of tooth. Most people use too much.

You can also sand down a bit between layers to give yourself a finer finish.

Thanks for the tip Jackie.
What do you call "sparingly" ? a spoonful, a cup of coffee ?
Can you mix the marble dust with water before adding it to the mixture ?
I'm asking because I realised that the dust produce some lumps I did not want on my board.They disappeared under the pastel though.

I sanded this board before using it and it makes a difference for sure.
On my first attempt, the grain was really too rough.

If you (or someone else) have recipes,I'd be glad to read about them.

:wave:

jackiesimmonds
09-30-2013, 03:39 AM
In a large mug, or big glass jar of gesso, I used to use about a teaspoon-full of marble dust.

I never did melt it in water first, tho I see no reason why you should not. I just sprinkled it in slowly, mixing carefully as I went along, rather than dumping it all in, hoping for the best.

Then, I would paint it onto the board, both front and back, because otherwise with some boards, you get warping.

I would use at least 3-4 coats, going in different directions each time. the surface felt slightly, only slightly, gritty, but it held the pastel well.

Trial and error...............

Mado
09-30-2013, 04:22 AM
A teaspoon-full ! Ok, I understand what sparingly means now... I used much more.And just one coat but it seems ok.Are there reasons to layers 3 or 4 coats ?

allydoodle
09-30-2013, 11:24 AM
I like the visual effect of this, the colors are great.

Mado
09-30-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm pleased you like this study.
There is something in the texture I quite like too and the colors look nicer in reality.
A way I'd like to explore a bit more.

jackiesimmonds
09-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Why several coats? Well, I am not entirely sure, I followed advice, but perhaps it was because if you make the brush strokes go in different directions with each coat, it works best.

Try it on some small pieces, say about 2" square, make up a few with say 2 coats, 3 coats and 4 coats. See if it feels any different.

Jackie