PDA

View Full Version : John

bobbymac
09-28-2013, 02:23 PM
This was done for a musician friend. It's on 9x13 Sand colour La Carte Pastel Card with Rembrandt sticks and Faber-Castell pencils for the glasses. The ref photo is from the White Album. I've always had difficulty putting in enough dark into my portraits so I hope this one is somewhat better. As always I appreciate your C&C. Thank your for looking. Bob
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2013/1154176-john_800x600.jpg

sketchZ1ol
09-28-2013, 03:09 PM
hello
this looks just fine !

black is very potent/intense .
sticks/colour-over can work quite well or otherwise mingle ;
it's a lot easier to see/figure out when the overall support/has come to a mid-value .

the shadow line of the nose just below the bridge of the glasses is a bit off .

with the eye on our right ,
on the lower eyelid there is a spot of high-key which is messing with the roundness of the cornea ...

an iconic ref pix , and you've served it very well . :thumbsup:

Ed

Mado
09-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Lovely portrait !

bobbymac
09-28-2013, 06:42 PM
hello
this looks just fine !

black is very potent/intense .
sticks/colour-over can work quite well or otherwise mingle ;
it's a lot easier to see/figure out when the overall support/has come to a mid-value .

the shadow line of the nose just below the bridge of the glasses is a bit off .

with the eye on our right ,
on the lower eyelid there is a spot of high-key which is messing with the roundness of the cornea ...

an iconic ref pix , and you've served it very well . :thumbsup:

Ed

Ed, thank you for your comments, they are most appreciated.

I did not use black anywhere on the painting although I did use a very dark grey which is pretty darn close to black. In the dark areas I layed down a lite coat of the dark grey and then scumbled the colour on top. The two mixed and gave me a darker value. I did this because the darkest hues in my box were not near dark enough.

I see what you mean by the light spot on the lower lid of the right eye. It is very distracting and seems out of place for the shadow side.

I will take a second look at the shadow on the bridge of the nose.

Bob

allydoodle
09-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Beautiful job on this. Excellent advice from Ed. I would also take a look at his left (our right) eyebrow. It seems a bit thick, I think that it might be a shadow, but something is not reading right. You might have that eye too light, which is shaping that dark shadow and making it look like his eyebrow is unnaturally thick. Also, take a look at the shape of the shadow/light on his lower lip, it might need a tweak. Lastly, I think his eyeglass shape for the eye on our right is a bit smaller than the left. The clothing is well done also, you definitely nailed a likeness, not easy to do.

bobbymac
09-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Beautiful job on this. Excellent advice from Ed. I would also take a look at his left (our right) eyebrow. It seems a bit thick, I think that it might be a shadow, but something is not reading right. You might have that eye too light, which is shaping that dark shadow and making it look like his eyebrow is unnaturally thick. Also, take a look at the shape of the shadow/light on his lower lip, it might need a tweak. Lastly, I think his eyeglass shape for the eye on our right is a bit smaller than the left. The clothing is well done also, you definitely nailed a likeness, not easy to do.

Thank you for commenting Chris, your feedback is most welcome, especially because I followed your WIP of Uncle Frank and thought you did a spectacular painting.

You are correct, the dark area on our right is a combination of shadow and eyebrow. My photo does not quite do justice to the dark areas of the painting as I mentioned on my response to Ed. Actually there are some light strokes of colour indicating the hair of the eyebrow that are hard to see in the photo. Maybe if I add some lighter value below that eyebrow it might help with your comment about the eye being too light. I can also darken the eye socket somewhat so the contrast between the two areas is not as great.

I really obsessed about the glasses. My portrait workshop teacher would have been most disappointed in how much I rendered. The glasses are tilted and are pretty close to the reference photo. I have measured between the left and right lens and they appear to be the same size but I do see what you are saying and I felt the same as you. I will check again.

Thank you for your kind comments on the clothing and likeness. If I have achieved a fair likeness, I can be very happy with that and I will work on the rest. Bob

Turpintine45
10-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Just the tweeks mentioned and you have a good painting. It is definitely him.

bobbymac
10-01-2013, 04:27 AM
Just the tweeks mentioned and you have a good painting. It is definitely him.

Thank you Jen.