PDA

View Full Version : Pajaro River V2 (xpost landscape)

trailrider
09-27-2013, 10:58 PM
The first version I did of this had a monochromatic underpainting. This one has a watercolor underpainting. It's 18" x 24" various soft pastels on an Ampersand pastelbord. C&C welcome. I was wondering also if anyone has any experience with an Edgmon Pastel/Easel box? I posted a question in the Pastel Talk part of the forum but thought I'd ask here also. Thanks for looking.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Sep-2013/188672-pajaro_river_v2_wc.jpg

adlercomo
09-28-2013, 02:03 AM
I like this very much. Reminds me of the hundreds of California drives up the 101. Beautiful. Good work.

jackiesimmonds
09-28-2013, 03:49 AM
C&C as requested.

The camera seldom offers a true interpretation of AERIAL PERSPECTIVE, and that means that little bushes, trees, shrubs etc, often show as far too dark in a photo.

To get a better sense of distance ALL your tones need to lighten as we go away into the distance. So, the small distant tree forms, which are all navy blue, would do better if they became gradually lighter.

The barn worries me. It looks very tiny by comparison with that large stand of trees in the centre of the painting, at the water side. ?? either the trees are giant, or the barn is teensy. Or the distance between the two is not articulated correctly.

sorry!!! Could you show us the photo, assuming you worked from a photo? It might reveal the underlying problem.

trailrider
09-28-2013, 10:30 AM
Thank you Jackie, I do know what you mean about the background trees. Here is the reference photo. I did exaggerate the size of the trees a bit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2013/188672-Pajaro_Valley_Riverwc.jpg

jackiesimmonds
09-28-2013, 12:17 PM
Well, there ya go. Those small navy trees are made to be far darker in the photo than they need to be in your picture. You need to use some artist's licence to lighten the tones if you want a real sense of recession.

And you do have the size of the barn, in relation to that group of trees on the bend of the river, correct...but there is something really weird-looking to MY eye, about that. Maybe in your neck of the woods, trees really do tower over the buildings like that.

good job otherwise. You colour is more interesting than the photo!

trailrider
09-28-2013, 07:44 PM
You are so right Jackie. I lightened the trees, and pruned the trees. Those are Eucalyptus trees- not native but all over this area.

Matt, thank you for your comment! Here's a revised version:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2013/188672-pajaro_river_v2_wc2.jpg

allydoodle
09-30-2013, 11:59 AM
I like the lightening of the trees going off in the distance, but I have to say I much preferred the shape of your original tree (the large one) just to the right of the house. Maybe, make that tree just a bit larger, and go back to the original shape? Don't make it as large as it was, but a bit larger and use the colors you originally used, it was working well. Right now the top of the tree is straight across, and in nature I don't think you would see that. I do love the way you've changed up the colors from the photo, it works very nicely. Also, would you consider putting a touch of red into that house? I do see a bit in the photo, and I think it would work very well in the painting. A bit of color pop, and as it's the focal point I think it might work. Just wondering.....

Donna T
09-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Beautiful painting, Lisa! I admire the way you put strokes of color down for a lively look. Chris has some good ideas.

trailrider
10-01-2013, 08:31 PM
Thank you Donna. Thank you Chris. I will go back and put a bit of red in as well as return some growth to the tree.

trailrider
10-03-2013, 01:43 PM
First, I'd like to thank you all for being willing to give me specific feedback on this painting. It is really appreciated. Here's what I'm pretty sure is the final...
18"x24"

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Oct-2013/188672-pajaro_river_v2b_wc3_.jpg

allydoodle
10-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Nice job on this. The colors in the foreground are especially beautiful.

That large tree on the hill just to the right of the house is disappearing into the mid ground trees just behind it. I would lighten the trees behind as they are receding, being mindful that they all should be lightened, not just the one directly behind the large tree. I wonder if you would consider putting some red into the barn/house? You have some in the foreground, and it might be nice to see it in the house somehow. Just a thought for you to consider, not a necessity.

Beautiful work!

*Deirdre*
10-04-2013, 07:29 AM
I have merged your paintings with the same subject as is our policy.

Have to say I agree with Chris on the mid distance trees...which are the same chroma as the foreground ones, when looked at either from a distance of with half-closed eyes. Lightening them a tad would do a lot to push them back and increase the mid distance beautifully. You have already got a good sense of distance in the foreground.

Donna T
10-04-2013, 10:03 AM
I like the changes you made, Lisa. Here's another idea for making that central tree stand out. Just a "what if" kind of thought, I hope you don't mind me playing with your painting!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2013/97763-Lisas.jpg
I used some of the dark, warm greens from your foreground to slightly darken the back of the tree and make it contrast a little more with the new field behind it.

trailrider
10-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Thank you Chris, Deirdra and Donna. I really appreciate the feedback. I went ahead and tried your suggestions:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2013/188672-pajaro_river_finish2_wc.jpg

rugman
10-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Nice job! Love the scene and the colors.

trailrider
10-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Thank you Ron!

allydoodle
10-06-2013, 09:08 PM
I like your changes Lisa. You've got much more distance now, and the tree doesn't blend into it. Beautiful work!

trailrider
10-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Thank you so much Chris. This was a good learning experience for me.