PDA

View Full Version : Gladioli and mangoes

Shireesh
09-26-2013, 08:55 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2013/109976-15.jpg

Hard pastels on sanded paper , using a limited palette . Worked more painstakingly than usual ; relying a lot on hatching

DAK723
09-26-2013, 07:27 PM
Very nice!

Don

gecko99
09-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Wonderfully autumnal palette!

Nicole

jackiesimmonds
09-27-2013, 03:26 AM
just take another look at the shape of jug, Shireesh. Most man made objects of this sort are symmetrical. One way to ensure your painting is right, is to trace over one side of vase, up to a central line, then turn the tracing over to ensure that the other side of the vase is the same.

To my eye, it is bulging too much on the right under the lip.

J

*Deirdre*
09-27-2013, 08:20 AM
Shireesh, I love your palette, so autumnal, and your cross-hatching has given the vase the 3D shape you were after. I know you didn't ask for c&c, so my next comment is for Jackie:wink2:

I don't agree re the problem with your perception of the vase, as, not trusting my eyes, I went to the low tech way of checking...I printed it out and cut the vase out, folded it in half - the top of the vase (under the lip) is fine, and matches the other side when divide in two. The difference is just above the fruit, where it comes in just a tad too much, and gives us the appearance of being slightly out of line. A difficult call, I agree.:)

Shireesh
09-27-2013, 08:53 AM
Jackie and Deirdre ,
Yes, the vase does look a bit asymmetrical. But that dark line next to the mango is not the base of the vase , but the border of the mango reflection. The line should be removed ; which will improve appearances. I was looking more at color harmonies than at accuracy of shapes ; however, it's a thing that can skew a picture towards a feeling of "something wrong " , I agree.
Don and Nicole, thank you very much !

jackiesimmonds
09-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Deidre, I meant that entire curve looks wrong, not just the bit under the lip - and yes, it is because it clips in too sharply above the fruit. It is difficult using words sometimes.

Shireesh has probably got it sorted by now.

J