PDA

View Full Version : Pastel Society of America Annual Show - You Gotta Go!

allydoodle
09-23-2013, 07:07 PM
I was able to view the annual PSA show in Manhattan this past weekend. No surprise here, it was filled with beautiful work.

This past Saturday not only was the show open for viewing, they also had a Materials Fair similar to what is done at IAPS, as well as two demos, one by Richard McKinley and another by Liz Haywood Sullivan. I believe there were two more demos going on at the other side of the room, but I was so mesmerized by Liz's demo that I pretty much stayed glued to her right shoulder for three hours. Her work is amazing, and her demo was as well. What she accomplished in three hours is nothing short of brilliant.

Here is a photo of how she started:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2013/93075-liz_haywood-sullivan_demo_1.jpg

More of her sketch:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2013/93075-liz_haywood-sullivan_demo_2.jpg

The finished painting. Like I said, brilliant work:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2013/93075-liz_haywood-sullivan_demo_3.jpg

I was glancing over at Richard McKinley as he was doing his demo, and I got some photos. I wasn't as close to him though, and his painting was much smaller. I wasn't giving up my spot by Liz, she is one of my "pastel heroes" :D. Here is what I was able to capture:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2013/93075-mckinley_demo_1.jpg

Here he is signing the painting:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2013/93075-mckinley_demo_2.jpg

Richard's work is beautiful also, though his spot had worse lighting than Liz's. I had a hard time getting a good photo of his finished painting. I don't know how he painted in that light... this photo doesn't do it any justice:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2013/93075-mckinley_demo_3.jpg

We arrived in New York at 9:00am, and we left at 5:30. Talk about a full day, but it was so worth the time. Needless to say, if you can get to the show before it closes this coming weekend it will be well worth the effort. I do believe Alain Picard is doing a demo on Saturday the 28th from 1:00 - 3:30. I would love to go in again, but I'm not sure if I will be able to. I'm still trying to figure out a way... Alain Picard's portraits are amazing...

Some bonus tidbits I got...... I actually met a few people that I'm "friends" with on Facebook. One woman is an artist from Egypt that "friended" me a while ago. I knew she got a painting into the show, and I also knew she was planning on attending the awards ceremony and dinner banquet. She didn't win an award, but she was so excited she flew from Egypt anyway just to see the show and enjoy the whole process. Well, I recognized her, introduced myself, and now I can say we are really friends! I also met two other people from New Jersey that I am "friends" with on FB, now we are real friends.

If you are within a train ride it is sooooo worth the effort.

Dougwas
09-23-2013, 11:11 PM
That was a tough choice, Chris. A demo by Richard McKinley or Liz Haywood Sullivan. Those two and Kim Lordier are the three artists I most want to take a workshop with. I love Liz's videos, because she explains things and shows how sometimes less is better. Great photos. I bet it was a great way to spend the day. I envy you.

Doug

allydoodle
09-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks Doug. It was a tough choice (if Kim Lordier was there, I'd have been in extreme trouble, as it was I was torn), but because of where I was situated I was able to view Richard's demo too (though not as clearly as I could see Liz's), and I was able to take some photos of him too. It's not often I get to do something like this. Also, seeing master pastelists do their thing live right before my very eyes is a first for me. It was a real treat.

I've been to the National Arts Club (PSA) before, and I've seen their annual show in years past. Believe it or not, I've been accepted into three of their annual shows over the years (a real honor), and the shows are always something else. It's been a while since I've been able to get in to view the show, it was really worth the time, it always is.

getdusty
09-23-2013, 11:52 PM
Chris, how wonderful! For the past two (now 3) years I've wanted to get there. Somehow just never figured out how to get there from "upstate". (and yes, I am close to both Amtrak and MetroNorth) Will have to really make it a priority next year.

allydoodle
09-23-2013, 11:56 PM
It's surprisingly easy by train, I come from Long Island. Once at Penn Station its a mile and a half walk to Gramercy Park; you go straight down seventh or eighth (your choice), left on 20th until you reach the Gallery on the right, literally across the street from Gramercy Park. Pretty easy, and so worth the effort.

getdusty
09-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Looked so much more difficult when I was trying to figure it out. May have to rethink if I can fit it in this week. Thanks, Chris.

allydoodle
09-24-2013, 12:25 AM
Looked so much more difficult when I was trying to figure it out. May have to rethink if I can fit it in this week. Thanks, Chris.

When you get out of Penn Station you just need to make sure you're going in the right direction! Make sure the street numbers are going down as you walk down Seventh Avenue, and you're on your way. I think when we walked out of Penn Station we were on 32nd St and Seventh Avenue. I believe we made a right on Seventh. If you get to go, enjoy!

Davkin
09-24-2013, 10:54 AM
What a treat Chris! You lucky dog! Nothing all that exciting happens here art-wise, let alone in pastel.

David

Dcam
09-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Chris: thanks so much for this peek into the show. I liked both pieces, but Liz Haywood's blew me away.....off to view her website.:)

Derek

allydoodle
09-24-2013, 12:27 PM
It was pretty cool David, a fun day. I was lucky, being able to get into the city easily and quickly is something I never take for granted. It's a great place to go for culture and the arts. I'd never want to live there though, too much going on at once, I like my peace and quiet.

I know Derek, she really blew me away. What she accomplished in so little time, with such confidence and skill..... well, it was brilliant. I have a DVD of hers, so when I saw she was going to do a demo, I was right there front and center. I literally stood three feet from her right shoulder the entire time, it was like getting a private lesson. I don't think I missed a stroke. Even when she went off and took breaks, I remained close by so I could continue watching when she returned. I wasn't going anywhere :lol: , I feel very lucky!

creativevintage
09-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Chris, I just started taking a pastel class and the instructor, Lyn Asselta's piece is directly behind Liz's easel. (The piece with the white barn) Lyn is at the exhibit to accept an award. How lucky am I to be learning from her!

allydoodle
09-24-2013, 05:36 PM
I know Debbie, I saw her painting. I took a photo of it, as it was one of my favorites in the show. Yes, great choice for a teacher, I am sure you will learn quite a lot!

robertsloan2
09-24-2013, 06:02 PM
Chris, you were so lucky! Thank you for the great photos!

You're inspiring me to get self employed again so I can afford vacations. That's the sort of thing worth saving up for a year to get to, that or Albuquerque (maybe a little easier to get to from San Francisco.)

You were also smart to grab a good spot early and then root yourself to it!

allydoodle
09-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks Robert. I agree it is much easier when the venue is close to home. This was close for me, just a train ride away. Albuquerque is definitely a stretch for me to get there, family obligations and life in general make it difficult. If it's easier for you to go to IAPS, shoot for that as a goal. I sure wish I could get there, it looks like a great event. Maybe someday I will. Yes, getting that spot by Liz was great, I really learned so much just by watching, especially that close up. It makes such a difference, sitting across the room and watching I wouldn't have gotten nearly as much out of it.

Studio-1-F
09-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Great report, Chris. Thanks for posting! For those who can't make it in person, here's a PDF with the images of all the award-winers : http://www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/AnAwardWinners/2012AwardWinners.pdf

Jan

Davkin
09-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks for posting that Jan, lots of great paintings there, though I have no clue what any of those awards actually mean.:lol:

David

sketchZ1ol
09-25-2013, 02:49 PM
hello
good for you , Chris ! :)
- find anything in the candy store ? :D
> btw , doesn't three shows give you an invite for PSA signature ?

Jan , thx for the link :) .
- lots of new names/paintings .

and Congrats to Kari T ! ... we knew her when ... :lol:

Ed

creativevintage
09-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Jan, those were actually last year's winners. Here are the winners from this year:

http://www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/pdf/Award_Winners2013.pdf

sketchZ1ol
09-25-2013, 05:01 PM
hello
Debbie , thx !

Congrats to ed k and kari t ( again ! )

Ed

Studio-1-F
09-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Jan, those were actually last year's winners. Here are the winners from this year:

http://www.pastelsocietyofamerica.org/pdf/Award_Winners2013.pdf
Ooops. :rolleyes: Thanks, Debbie! Double the treat!

Jan

Davkin
09-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Ooops. :rolleyes: Thanks, Debbie! Double the treat!

Jan

Hey, I don't mind, it's eye candyX2, a double treat. :D

David

allydoodle
09-25-2013, 07:34 PM
hello
good for you , Chris ! :)
- find anything in the candy store ? :D
> btw , doesn't three shows give you an invite for PSA signature ?

Jan , thx for the link :) .
- lots of new names/paintings .

and Congrats to Kari T ! ... we knew her when ... :lol:

Ed

Unfortunately I did Ed, the candy store is had to resist. Did I need it? No.... but my wants are many, my needs are few....:lol:

A konundrum for sure..... yes and no.... I'm not sure. They keep/kept (yes I mean that) changing their rules, and depending on the year and their mood, you either had/have to be an associate member when getting into the show, or not (different rules for different years, no consistency) each year had different rules, it's hard to ascertain what applies..... so I'm really not sure what to do. I have all my paperwork, with the rules for each year.... confusing at best.

Turpintine45
09-26-2013, 01:19 AM
Lucky you Chris. Looks like a wonderful show.

robertsloan2
09-27-2013, 01:51 PM
Thanks for posting the link to the current winners. Wonderful images! So inspirational!

allydoodle
09-28-2013, 12:10 PM
It was fun Jen, going into the city is always a treat.

It's nice to see all the winners together, isn't it Robert?

Grinner
09-29-2013, 09:12 AM
The exhibition was great - so much beautiful work in one place! Almost overwhelming. I felt fortunate to be in the room to see it all in person.

For anyone who missed it, here is a photo of the beautiful portrait demo piece by Alain Picard. He was really fun and does a nice job of explaining what he's doing and why - a natural educator. Some of us were taking notes!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2013/1114802-PicardPSAdemo.JPG

allydoodle
09-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks for posting Grinner! I almost went Saturday, but I was in the City on Friday at a concert at Radio City MH. I was exhausted, got in late..... I was really torn about going, I knew I was going to miss a great demo.

Glad you enjoyed it, Alain Picard is a great portrait artist, I would have loved to see him in action. I have a few friends that went in, I will have to pick their brains..... :evil: :lol:

robertsloan2
10-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Great photo, Grinner! Seeing his palette under it along with his preliminary sketch makes that almost a mini-lesson in itself. So glad you got to attend!

Judibelle
10-01-2013, 09:02 AM
thanks, Chris, for your report, and Jan...for the award winners.
What a treat!

allydoodle
10-01-2013, 09:23 AM
You're very welcome Judibelle, at least I could post some photos to share for those that aren't able to attend.