PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Newbie

travelist10
09-23-2013, 12:44 AM
I am looking to find and commission an artist to paint a portrait of two people but it has to be done in the same exact style as Leroy Neiman (specifically, this piece (http://www.paintinghere.org/UploadPic/Leroy%20Neiman/big/Resting%20Tiger.jpg)). I don't have much of an art background at all and so I have a few questions. I would greatly appreciate any insight and advice that you have.

1) How easy/difficult would be for an artist to duplicate Neiman's style? Is this something that any artist can do or does it require knowledge of any specific techniques or a certain training?

2) Other than asking to see a portfolio of their work, what other questions should I ask a potential candidate for this job?

3) What's the best way to go about finding an artist for a job like this?

AllisonR
09-23-2013, 05:23 AM
There are factories in China that will do whatever you want, for cheap. Hundreds of artists, paid pennies, to copy whatever you desire. Just google LN copy china.

He has a very unique style. A reputable artist that enjoys doing master copies could possibly do such a work, but would also sign their name, not LR, and perhaps also note the painting as styled after LN.

1. a good copy - requires a lot of skill. Also needs to have experience in the mediums and painting methods LN used. However, copies, even very good ones, most often look like copies. I mean they can be good, but they do not have the original fire that the original artist has, the passion that shows through, as that comes from the individual and their style.

2. price, obviously. Time frame. A contract. Professional artists will have a contract that lists how much money they want up front, how much on delivery, how many changes are allowed... Is this onsite - painting the two people from life, or do you have photo(s)? What a non-artist often considers ok as a photo is often unacceptable to an artist, for a million valid reasons - lack of correct detail, color, contrast, warping... An artist that has done a lot of commissions will often reject a bad photo assignment as opposed to opening up a hornets nest where no one will be happy.

3. Personally I might do a Leroy Neiman copy, as I like learning from master painters, so i would do it to learn a bit about his techniques. But I would in no way guarantee that it is going to look just like a LN, but more a study of his style. I am certain there are other artists that would be interested as well. I think a few thought out google searches should work.

travelist10
09-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Allison,

Thank you for the response! I don't care how this artist signs his/her name or whether or not it ends up looking like an original LN (I'm not looking to fool anyone, I just love Nieman's style and want to commission someone to do an original work in that style).

Do you think it would be appropriate to ask the potential artist to do a small sample (say a 4" by 6" or a 5" by 10") before starting the actual painting (which will be about 20" by 12"), just so I could see if they can successfully replicate Neiman's style? I realize I'd have to pay for that too, but it would be worth it to ensure quality.

Thanks again!

LGHumphrey
09-23-2013, 01:06 PM
You should have no problem in locating someone who can duplicate his colorful broken style.

I agree with Allison--China!!

How big do you want it? How much are you prepared to pay? Remember, the price you pay will depend on size.

travelist10
09-23-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm weary of sending this out to someone I don't know in China. This painting will be very special for me and I have to make sure it's done right. For that reason, I'm not concerned about price.

I'm going to see if I can find any local artists (I'm in NY) on craigslist who have experience with oil on canvas. I would think experience using knife palette techniques would be a plus, right? Anything else I should look for in the artist?

Thanks all.

AllisonR
09-24-2013, 02:29 AM
I was being sarcastic about China.

Yes, you could ask them to make a small version 1st. NY, huge plus for you. You can see most artists work on their website, a great place to start to see if the quality you are looking for is there.

LGHumphrey
09-24-2013, 07:13 AM
Surprised to hear you were being sarcastic Allison, 'cause I wasn't---those Chinese artists are extremely good at what they're doing....copies.