PDA

View Full Version : Please read and respond

Elainepsq
09-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi All,
I'm hoping that all who visit here will respond to the poll. In order to keep the forum relevent, I would like to get to know more about you, your interest in digital art, and what you would like to see here in the digital forum.
Please also feel free to respond to this thread with any suggestions you have for the forum.
Forum "regulars" come and go, and even those of us who have been hanging out here for years, evolve in our art, and change our focus and interests.
So please let us know about your interests so that we can work to make the digital forum a more lively and interesting place to be!:wave:

Yorky
09-23-2013, 04:34 AM
Maybe different sub-forums for digital originals and digital manipulations of photographs?

Doug

MvdLinden
09-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the effort to keep the forum relevant. I am not sure all the questions are worded in a way that I could answer them with just a check box.

So a bit of discussion. I am a long time member whose visits are now fairly infrequent. Some of the reasons for this are not forum related, but a few are.

I feel that the digital forum in particular does little to help the participants grow as artists. Many of the more traditional forums take time to provide useful critiques or provide mini tutorial/technique lessons - discussions.

In here (the digital art forum) I feel there is a lot of support, great positive regard, but little in the way of encouragement to push beyond the artistic boundaries that we each encounter. Sometimes, and very often once we reach a certain level, the pat on the head is far less helpful that the polite kick in the pants.

I realize that in a text based communication it can be very hard to deliver kind critique. I also acknowledge the wisdom of a former denizen of one of the traditional forums who stopped providing critique (though he was in fact an very accomplished artist and instructor offline) because in the online world of post and riposte understanding the artist's original intent is nigh impossible. Without the personal connection and without exposition from the artist a critique can be attempting to "fix" something that the artist intended as part of the work.

So I am sympathetic to the difficulties of valid critique. A forum just for critique with clear ground rules might help with this.

On the technique or mini tutorial side, I suppose that this could be done in the general forum. Artists posting cold simply show a bit more about how works were created. Though this is a time commitment not all can make. I am really not interested in which program is used, but sometimes method is tied up with tool. I like the challenges, perhaps this might be a place for tutes as well. Do the challenge then show how it was done sort of thing.

The other way we could help each other is to post notices about events/galleries/contests looking for submissions. I realize that we may end up competing against each other, but probably not as often as one might think. Perhaps too, this could be an opportunity for mutual support. We might approach such things with a team mentality. Posting ideas here first for critique then to the event for submission and any time one of us makes it we might all feel a little victory..

Really just thinking aloud now.

MvdLinden
09-23-2013, 12:01 PM
side note: there is already a Painter's Alley for digital originals that imitate traditional painting without the use of filters or paint overs. This is possibly not the same as a place for digital originals which would be more encompassing in concept.

However, I am not sure that the distinction between Originals and Photo manipulation holds water in any meaningful sense.

For example if one does a "traditional" method using digital tools and eschews filters but uses a photo reference and possibly a tracing of that photo reference all you are doing is taking a different path to the same result, i.e. an image dictated by the lense of the camera.

Painting without a reference or using several different references and composing an original image (very much how Norman Rockwell worked btw) is a step beyond, but then would digital photo-collage be much different?

What about "true" digital originals? Generative art that makes no pretense at being anything other than a digital creation. Even this can take many forms from the abstract to the fully representational.

I personally would rather not measure/rank/categorize work by the process, but rather by the result. Not that process is unimportant, it is very much relevant to the artist's journey, but is it relevant to how a viewer should take in the work. Which is to say is it relevant to how we might respond to it on the forum?

I do not know.

as a side note to my side note I would love a way to post higher resolution or larger format images here.

LavenderFrost
09-23-2013, 01:08 PM
I did pick the first option but it would be more accurate to say mostly rather than strictly. I approach digital art as another way of painting but will sometimes use some of the non-traditional tools.

We could have all kinds of sub-forums but with the small membership here, would they really be used? What I would like to see is more people adding information about their work, what program they used and the technique.

b'anna
09-24-2013, 02:02 PM
My thought is it is the final result that counts, not how you got there. You still have to have the vision to see what could be. I think we need to encourage the use of all the tools we have available and not differentiate between traditional and other. The traditional world is already doing that for us without our help.
Thanks
Barb

WaltWally
09-25-2013, 03:04 AM
I just voted in the poll but I did not say 'yes' to
Did you start out as a traditional materials user and switch to digital later?
because I haven't 'switched' - I'm still working in 'traditional' media (mostly acrylics).

However, as 'age' chips away at my faculties, I see the need and the benefit to exploring the potential of digital art.

I expect to be helped a good bit by this forum.

LavenderFrost
09-25-2013, 12:55 PM
Good point WaltWally, I also didn't switch but made the addition.

I see your point Barb, but I am always curious about how things are done. If I see any painting I want to know what medium was used. And if someone uses the same medium I do, and in the case of digital, similar methods, I'm even more curious about what they did. And I think a big part of this board is learning from each other, not just from critiques but also by sharing some of our methods. WIP posts are always appreciated by other members.

gigih
10-01-2013, 03:28 PM
I would love to see more how to's and WIP's , I am also guilty of posting a finished product and not explaining how it was created.
we should explore all the tools and software available as digital artists.
theres an online forum I post to, that's connected to the sketchbook app I use on my ipad. not only does it post the finished work, but also a quick video of how it was created. very useful.

Elainepsq
10-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Thank you all for responding to the poll. We have had 16 members respond, which was lighter than I expected, but some great insights came from those who wrote responses as well as from the poll.
One point that came up, is that almost 44% are interested in combining different digital technics. And so, you might already notice, that Painter's Alley has been changed to Digital Showcase, to make it inclusive of ALL types of digital art. This way ALL digital art whether it is a work in progress, something that you would like critiqued, or something that you don't want critiqued, but would just like to share with us, should go in the Digital Showcase.
Another really good point, is that 75% are interested in more discussion on software, hardware, and other tools. So we are going to try to keep all of those in the regular digital forum, separate from displaying artwork. I hope that many of you will think of topics to discuss or just throw questions out there so we can satisfy that request.
I will post more specific info about the changes in a separate thread. I apologize if any of you were confused by the changes before I had a chance to notify you but they happened quicker than I ever expected.:eek:
I'm attaching the poll results here and again, thank you for your response and so many of the thoughtful comments. Our goal is to keep the forum strong, relevant and a happy place to be. We can't do that without active participation. Any time anyone has a concern or question, feel free to PM me.
Elaine :wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Oct-2013/42008-Poll_results.jpg

MaloCS
10-17-2013, 04:04 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the problem with this room is that the subject matter is too broad.

I consider myself a digital artist but my chosen subject matter does not interest the vast majority of people in this room. Most everyone here is a traditional artist in terms of subject matter; I.E. portraits, landscapes, still lifes, etc. while I'm creating skulls, graffiti, pin ups and modern Americana. When I post a piece I rarely get any feedback from the members in this room because what I'm creating just doesn't interest the vast majority of members.

This room should be nothing more than a repository for digital painting techniques, it should not be a gallery of artwork created with digital tools. If a member creates a landscape it should go in the landscape room, if a member creates a portrait it should go in the portrait room, etc... These specific rooms would offer the budding landscape painter a quality critique and experience regardless of the budding artist's chosen medium. However, if this budding landscape artist has a question about digital techniques or tools they could pop over here, ask their question and get a quality answer.

As artists that utilize digital tools we need to stop being embarrassed and make ourselves known in the subject specific rooms on this forum. It's my opinion that every member in this room would have a better forum experience if we were sharing our work with like minded artists. This lends itself to better critiques, more in depth conversation and a feeling of being part of a collective. Right now this room is a mess with numerous subject matters and for all intents and purposes, is devoid of any type of personality.

What I really need is a room that caters to graffiti, pin ups, hot rods, tattoos and comic style art regardless of medium. That's a room I where I could plant some roots.

LavenderFrost
10-17-2013, 12:53 PM
I'm actually surprised that there isn't a forum like that. Maybe you should contact the people in charge and request it. If you have time you could offer to moderate it. If not, just ask if they would consider creating one.

That is a good idea too for people to cross post for more advice, as long as the other forums allow it. I think most of them do for general posting. But I still would like to see the artwork posted here because I like seeing what others are doing with their digital work.

Elainepsq
10-18-2013, 09:46 PM
I too encourage you, Vincent, to suggest a subject specific forum for graffiti, pin ups, hot rods, tattoos and comic style art regardless of medium.
I have posted some of my work in subject specific forums, and have gotten some good feedback, but just as often, my experience has been that someone will say they like the work, but don't feel qualified to say too much because they don't understand the process. The critique forum does not accept digital art, for the same reason, I believe. So I think it is good to have a place here to ask for a critique.
I'd like to see more people who post their work here regardless of subject matter, give us more insight into their techniques. I'm sure that reading about techniques used on skulls and graffiti might inspire me to try something different with my landscapes.

I'm sorry if you didn't get the feedback from this forum in the past. It is a small forum and digital work is very diverse. I once got feedback from a member who thought that abstract vectors were not accepted because he didn't see any here in digital. I'd like the forum to be inclusive and welcoming to everyone.

MaloCS
10-19-2013, 01:09 AM
I have suggested an room dedicated to modern Americana but was essentially told to pound sand. I also requested the owners of this site create a solution for mobile devices and was also told to pound sand. :o

sword
10-20-2013, 01:17 AM
I first used digital art for formal composition and testing layers, without the need for drying times and thing like the need to paint yellows on top. The hundreds of brushes available make work and corrections go so much quicker. I'm fascinated by the effect of light on surfaces and transparency (shallow water, reflections on water, caustics, underwater, shading on patterns like sand or snow, light filtering through tropical leaves). Portraits, scenes, objects and abstract representations of things like crystals and tree bark interest me but I have no interest in the cartoon, sci-fi, fantasy or imaginary topics.

Elvira
11-26-2013, 05:01 PM
As for posting digital paintings in Landscape, Portrait etc rooms, they are mostly traditional mediums only and will usually move you to a digital forum.

MaloCS
11-26-2013, 11:44 PM
As for posting digital paintings in Landscape, Portrait etc rooms, they are mostly traditional mediums only and will usually move you to a digital forum.

I understand that this is the case but why? Why is this the case? How does the subject matter dictate the medium? Can't a landscape be rendered in pastels, paint, pencil, charcoal, marker, scratch board, etc? Are we to believe that digital can't be used to create a viable landscape? According to the powers that run this web site I guess we are required to believe that digital is not an honest medium.

You know what? If you head over to the "Debates" room you will find a plethora of threads talking about how racism, bigotry and prejudice are horrible and need to be eradicated. However, if you venture into the "Landscape" room (or any traditional subject matter room for that matter) you'll find that bigotry and prejudice are alive and well where the digital medium is concerned. Oh the irony.

Aren't you guys fed up with this obvious and blatant prejudice concerning the digital medium. I know I am and that's why I rarely frequent this forum anymore.

:(

Yorky
11-27-2013, 03:10 AM
Personally I have no objection to digital art being shown in subject based forums. Digital art is definitely on the increase with the development of pressure sensitive tablets and styli.

In medium based forums, it is a matter of the forum rules. Although digital software is able to emulate watercolours, oil, pastel and other mediums it is not fair to compare such works with the genuine use of real mediums.

That is why we have a digital art forum, to show what can be done digitally as opposed to using traditional methods.

BTW I am a fan of digital work and have been for 30 years but mainly work in watercolour.

Doug

Elainepsq
11-30-2013, 02:03 PM
Actually, I posted one of my digital paintings over in Marine Art, and got some excellent feedback as far as composition and color and such. One person commented that they have tried digital, but that it's too hard on the arm -I guess they need a Wacom tablet for Holidays! :) But the point is, I was actually welcomed, by several who responded. I understand that the abstract forum gets a fair amount of digital work displayed and accepted there. I participate in the Weekend Drawing Events in All Media Arts Events, and there are usually several digital works displayed there over the weekend. I understand that the abstract forum gets a fair amount of digital work displayed and accepted there, but it's probably not true of all of the forums. It's kinda like I used to tell my kids, if the kids up the block don't want to play with you, just show them you can have fun here in our front yard without them

As I've said before, I think that the issue here is education. I encounter people - especially artists - who think that digital art is just pushing a few buttons to make a photo look like a painting. It really bugs me, but raising my blood pressure over the whole thing will hurt me -not them, so I let it be! HOWEVER I don't pass up an opportunity to education people when I think it will do some good- meaning when I encounter open minds who will listen. There are 7 billion people on this earth and as much as we have so much in common - 10 fingers, 10 toes, we are very different in other ways, especially opinions.

My reason for asking the question was not to stir up a controversy, but simply to find out if digital artists preferred other forums, why and what we could do to make them more active here to build up this forum.

As your moderator, I am always looking for suggestions for discussion, challenges, for questions that might start some interesting discussion and inspire some of our talented members to share some really cool knowledge! Please feel free to start a discussion or ask a question about digital art in the the digital forum, and post your work over in Digital Showcase. If you'd rather remain anonymous about your question, feel free to PM me and I'll post it as a "reader asks"

Yorky
11-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Well said Elaine :thumbsup:

Doug

rayno247
12-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Everyone like to see more discussions on softwares, hardwares and tools....

justjean
12-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Most subject based forums accept digital paintings and I do wish Painters Alley was still active

tarakat
01-21-2014, 01:39 AM
What I really need is a room that caters to graffiti, pin ups, hot rods, tattoos and comic style art regardless of medium. That's a room I where I could plant some roots.

I agree more genres need to be listed where digital and traditional artists can post there work for critique. It is difficult for a landscape painter to critique pop art. An abstract painter might not have much to say about a pin-up..etc.

A lowbrow/comic/pop surreal genre forum would be great.

Also a surreal/visionary/fantastic realism type genre would be awesome.

pixs
01-23-2014, 08:22 PM
hi ,i been trying all day long to post some work, and i hope i can do it now. its been a long day....but as far as digital art. you can count me in on anything you want to do. i hope you don't mind this painting.i look on youtube to find out how to post one..http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jan-2014/1698863-desert_reflections__1.jpg

Airbrush Mel
02-03-2014, 02:24 PM
As a beginner ..... I think a beginners section would be great so I could ask questions that are software, hardware and digital tool based. There could be a tips and tricks section on digital techniques, there could be loads of sections that might bring in more people and make beginners feel welcome. Where I could post some work and get constructive advice (not criticism).

I think there is always snobbery where ever we look. I'm an airbrush artist and for some reason people are snobby about whether you have worked totally freehand or used stencils or frisket film or whatever!! It's a poor sad state of the human mind that feels it needs to be superior to someone else!!

I, more often than not, will airbrush freehand because I'm too lazy to faff about with cutting out film. I have a great idea to paint but it's sooooo fiddly and will definitely need some sort of masking to get clean lines, so I haven't even started :)

I perfectly see the need for a separate digital section. How I work with my airbrush is totally different to how I hold and operate my digital pen and tablet!! The surface I airbrush onto effects the paint, the paint I use effects the airbrush and the surface/substrate and the techniques I would use are very different for airbrushing let alone compared to my meagre digital attempts. I would not see the relevance of posting my airbrush paintings in the digital section and vice verse. On the airbrush forum I use, we usually post the size, the airbrush/es, what surface/substrate and which paints were used to create the picture.
Just my 2 cents worth :lol:
Cheers Mel

Silent Jaguar
05-18-2014, 05:04 PM
I mainly became a digital artist because I couldn't stand having dozens of sketchbooks, Bristol boards, drawing paper, scrap paper and all of the sketching supplies such as pencils, pens, watercolors, pastels, rags, clips laying around- it is too messy!

Eventually the HP TouchSmart Tm2 and the iPad Mini had taken over all of my sketches, sketchbooks, color tests and all of serious illustration art for prints and websites.

On the computer I use Corel Painter 12 and the Adobe CS6. On the iPad I use Sketch Club and Moleskine and Photoshop Touch. Photoshop and Sketch Club apps is where I do the heavy duty illustration art. Moleskine and Corel is where I do the sketches before transferring the idea to traditional canvas. I keep my ideas in the Moleskine app.

One way I use the digital technology is in the example below, I had taken a picture of the painting that I am working on. I didn't know how to color it, so I sent it to my Moleskine app did a bunch of test colors. Eventually I came up with the blue color which is just a Phthalo blue glaze over black and white gesso. The first and last picture is the actual acrylic painting I'm working on. The other two were colored in using the Moleskine app color tests, which saves me time and paint.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-May-2014/17583-MoleskineApp1.jpg

schaer
05-18-2014, 09:48 PM
What doesn't interest me:

digital art that imitates traditional media. Whenever a new medium is invented, artists start out by using it to do what they've always done. It takes a while to discover and exploit the characteristics of the new medium. Take a look at the first oil paintings; they look very much their tempera predecessors. We are at the same stage with digital art and its time to move on.

What does interest me:

Digital art that pushes boundaries, that isn't like anything I've seen before and truly takes advantage of the computer in a creative way. Art that involves programming skills as well as artistic skills. This is the future of digital art.

--
A. M. Schaer

Silent Jaguar
05-19-2014, 02:40 AM
What does interest me:

Digital art that pushes boundaries, that isn't like anything I've seen before and truly takes advantage of the computer in a creative way. Art that involves programming skills as well as artistic skills. This is the future of digital art.

--
A. M. Schaer

I love the way you think, YES exactly!! :clap:

purplevelvets
06-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Hi Elaine, I come to the digital side from Traditional arts side.. in the past I would use oils/pastels/watercolors and charcoal for my art. In 1998 i started out with illustrator and transferred over to Corel Painter a year later. I use photos of my work sometimes but most times start off from scratch...