PDA

View Full Version : Leaning Tower of Learning

lizinlanse
09-22-2013, 03:02 PM
Done on Canson XL with Reeves and Cotman colors, 9x12. I based this on a photo from flickr. It is a one room schoolhouse in northern MN. I still have to work on the windows, roof detail, door detail...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2013/1349289-002.JPG

M.L. Schaefer
09-22-2013, 04:17 PM
So, funny!

We know what a lovely job you do at painting derelict buildings, however, if for some reason you are painting a structurally sound building and this happens, use a pencil (plus a straight edge), lightly pencil in the new edge, and then correct. Wet Canvas' very good friend, and gifted member (Hi, Brian) has a very good technique that I found a couple days ago: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419194&referrerid=134492

Waiting to see how this progresses! (p.s. don't forget to add a line of red to the other side of the roof :) )

:heart: Margarete

lizinlanse
09-22-2013, 06:09 PM
I'll definitely remember that trick! The painting is done. I'll post it in the gallery shortly!

pjartwc
09-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Another tip for getting the correct angle. If you are painting from a reference, hold a ruler to the object on the reference to get the proper angle, then transfer the ruler to the paper keeping the position and mark a light line.

Undergoose
09-23-2013, 07:12 AM
I've been having the same problem. Until I get the studio set up properly, I've been working on about a 1' x 2' flat work space, usually painting while I watch instructional videos.

Popping my head up to catch interesting bits on the videos, then ducking back into my painting (that I've been keeping angled like I do when I'm drawing), getting engrossed in neither to best effect, there's been several times I've held up my almost finished piece only to notice that all my verticals look like I suddenly have one leg shorter than the other. Most of my buildings lately have been 'engineered' freehand from memory and/or imagination, and I think not working from a reference photo has encouraged my wonky leaners.

I find that I do much more accurate work when I've got my paper at least somewhat tilted, although it feels funny working on the tiny things that I've been working on when I don't have the paper angled. I struggle to keep my hand from resting on the paper and hunching diagonally over my work, always have, and I've been considering making a maul stick to use for details and building a small easel for ACEO's and 16th sheets.