PDA

View Full Version : a word of warning

jackiesimmonds
09-22-2013, 03:36 AM
Off topic.....but important.

PLEASE EVERYONE BEAR IN MIND that if you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft, or Windows Service Centre.....it is a scam call. Microsoft or Windows will never, ever call you.

I fell into the trap, thinking I could handle it if it was not for real, but I did wonder if it might be the people who automatically offer me "upgrades" of my system, because only the previous day a computer tech had found 4 trojan viruses on my computer. They knew all about it, knew my address, telephone number, what computer I was using etc.

To keep the story short, they found a way to gain access to my computer remotely - without using "logmein" - and hijacked it completely, and finally - when I refused to pay for a new licence - spitefully putting a password onto the system so that I could never use it again. It has now gone off to have a complete Windows reinstall.

Just put the phone down. Instantly. Tell all your friends too. The only way to defeat these crooks is to pass on the word, regularly, and insistently...just do not speak to anyone you do not recognise. I am someone who normally puts the phone down on every suspicious call...yet I fell for this because of the extraordinarily coincidental circumstance. On reflection, I realise that they were probably the ones who sent out the trojans in the first place...removing them from my computer probably sent some kind of bounce-back to them, and I became a victim.

J

Yorky
09-22-2013, 05:03 AM
Oh poor jackie, yes there are some unscrupulous scammers out there. See this Ted video (http://www.ted.com/talks/james_lyne_everyday_cybercrime_and_what_you_can_do_about_it.html) on cyber threats.

Doug

creativevintage
09-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Be warned too, that if you rebuff them or tell them that you are aware that they are scamming people, as I did, they will call and call and call. I eventually had to have my telephone number changed as they were calling at all hours, even in the middle of the night to harass me. They got quite nasty, telling me that I was going to be arrested and that they would come and find me! I believe the call center is located in India and several payment processing centers have booted them for their illegal activities, but somehow they continue to propigate this scam. Do be very careful!

Colorix
09-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Oh, dear, Jackie. I hope the computer gets straightened out.

Debbie, that's awful! I too told them I knew it was a scam, and they stopped calling for a couple of months. I'll never do that again, after reading your story!

But the first time, I did talk to them, as I knew nothing about it. Got suspicious though, and ended the call. Got so suspicious that I thought it better to shut down the computer and unplug it, because they really tried to make me stay on the line and all those spy thrillers where they do stuff to ppls computers loomed large in my mind. Luckily, I have a good anti virus system from an independent provider, and good firewalls, so nothing nasty sneaked in.

To my ears, they have an Indian type of accent. Could be a neighbouring country, or even Afrika, as there are large ethnic groups there from Asia.

DBfarmgirl
09-22-2013, 12:44 PM
I recieved three calls. To me it sounded like an Indian accent too. There was also an odd echo in the background a little like I was on speaker phone. The third time they called I said not to call me again, that I have their phone number and would call them back every 15 minutes until they went nuts. They haven't called back.

I'm now wondering if they gained access to our information by hacking into WC.

Colorix
09-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Sharen, good for you! Hm, threats work, eh?

They contact people from anywhere, so I don't think it is by WC.

creativevintage
09-22-2013, 03:44 PM
I don't think it is WC. This happened before I ever found WC. It is amazing the lengths they go to in order to get your personal information. They hack banking sites, online shopping sites, etc.

DBfarmgirl
09-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I can't imagine the man power it would take to reach this many people!

Also be aware that some fradulent sites show up first on the list when you google things like "trend micro". that happened to me- they even answered their phone -trendmicro tech support. It was only after talking to them for a short time and the insistance of connecting to my computer to "solve my problem" that I was aware.

Davkin
09-22-2013, 08:49 PM
My solution is to just never answer the phone unless I recognize the number. I figure if it's important they'll leave a message, if they don't it's probably a telemarketer or scammer. I then do a reverse lookup on the number and nearly every time it's a telemarketer or scammer. I will admit though, my life is pretty simple, it's easy for me to ignore the phone.

David

~JMW~
09-23-2013, 12:02 AM
My parents had those calls a few months ago, and then they stopped for a few months, and just got a call again last week.
I am their computer person so they checked with me before pressing the keys the caller wanted them to push..

I googled for more info and told them do not even talk to those callers, it is a scam..

They are of the generation that was taught to be polite to all callers, so I had to give them "permission" to just hang up , do not talk to them at all..

They are on the do not call list , but forget to say that to the caller..

I think I finally got them to understand that is is a way for the caller to get remote access to your computer, do not press any keys , just hang up..

jackiesimmonds
09-23-2013, 09:30 AM
I know |I am not the only one to get caught in this way, it just frustrates me because I usually am SO suspicious and never really talk to anyone, I get quite shirty with them. I got a microsoft request to update my old computer just now........I did it, because I always do the updates.....but then wished I hadn't. I also got an email from Apple telling me that my account might be compromised because there had been unlawful attempts to get into it, and I should "click here" to update my password - I deleted it. And then went to Apple and changed my password anyway! It's not that I am paranoid or anything.....................much.............

robertsloan2
09-23-2013, 12:02 PM
This sounds like a shotgun approach, lucrative enough to maintain a call center. If they've got a statistically successful way to phish, they can do that like it was their job. Scary stuff. Like groups of burglars that use moving vans and show up in the middle of the day.

jackiesimmonds
09-24-2013, 04:49 AM
so right, Robert. And it is so flamin scary. My little laptop now keeps giving me a message that it wants to close the internet explorer page because "a malicious add-on may have compromised your computer".

Now I really AM getting paranoid. I want to throw out all my old equipment and have new, clean machines.

Mettaphorica
09-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Hi David
I do the same thing; don't pick up if I don't recognise the number, as you say, if it's important enough, they will leave a message. Mostly, they don't. it's amazing how many banks and telemarketers I don't need to be rude to when they push me because I haven't answered in the first place.
cheers

Donna

My solution is to just never answer the phone unless I recognize the number. I figure if it's important they'll leave a message, if they don't it's probably a telemarketer or scammer. I then do a reverse lookup on the number and nearly every time it's a telemarketer or scammer. I will admit though, my life is pretty simple, it's easy for me to ignore the phone.

David

Colorix
09-24-2013, 12:18 PM
How totally horrid, Jackie. No end to it.

aolaranora
09-27-2013, 08:25 PM
Jackie, dear, You are not having very easy summer... Fist Your plasma-cutter, now Your PC... Hope it will get better for You.

DAK723
09-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Jackie, Thanks for the heads up! Got my first call from them yesterday.

Don

RickinNM
09-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Sorry to hear your troubles Jackie . I learned the hard way also.:crying: :mad: But learned a few online rules

1. Keep a program like spybot search and destroy up to date and running.
2. Keep antivirus running and up to date
3. Never use online virus checks BAD NEWS
4. watch where you click when a pop up happens if online you can install crap by accident.
5. dont allow SONY digital rights programs to run, older ones installed a root kit in your code that is exploitable these are on CDs movies .
(a music cd copy to hd agreed to drm agreement = Sony installed root kit on hd was then exploited by another party had to format the hd to get rid of it ) Not sure about other companies drm programs i wont allow any on my computers.
6. scan every email. and dont open attachments from unknown senders.
7. Watch what you install, buy program a install a program b c d are free versions bundled with program a dont install some will have security holes.
8. Dont add unknown addons to you browsers .
9. USB Memory sticks fr8m ONLY trusted people.
Over the years # 4,5,7 are the causes of 95 % of the problems for me.

Stay safe :wave: :crossfingers: :thumbsup: Creeps are every where online and off:eek: :mad:

Eric

RickinNM
09-27-2013, 11:40 PM
Jackie by chance could your problem have stemmed from #1-9.? By chance were the trojans delivered by 3,5,7,or 8 I am curious how they got in and did this exploit do I need to add a new prevention strategy? Or was it from a item covered? #5 and 7 are the ones that caused format or reinstall . the rest a maintenance program and restore point fixed the rest.

Eric

RickinNM
09-28-2013, 12:19 AM
A typical fishing expedition totally fraudulent use the link will go to a place that looks real but isnt using it give em enough to take account which in turns lets personal info out. Which leads to other exploits of accounts info found in one account is used to crack another. Sometimes very little man power is used once when a computer is infected it can be also used as a zombie searching for vulnerabilities in other computers. they can create a army of computers looking for prey and hacking account PWs.

A sample of one sent to me. Never played this game.

Greetings!

It has come to our attention that you are trying to sell your personal Diablo III account(s).
As you may not be aware of, this conflicts with the EULA and Terms of Agreement.
If this proves to be true, your account can and will be disabled.
It will be ongoing for further investigation by Blizzard Entertainment's employees.
If you wish to not get your account suspended you should immediately verify your account ownership.

You can confirm that you are the original owner of the account to this secure website with:
http://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(looked real but was a fake)

Login to your account, In accordance following template to verify your account.

* First and Surname
* Secret Question and Answer
Show * Please enter the correct information

If you ignore this mail your account can and will be closed permanently.

Once we verify your account, we will reply to your e-mail informing you that we have dropped the investigation.

Regards,

(a few real links here with fake links)

I must confess a similar one a few years ago I fell for hook line and sinker.

Eric

opainter
09-28-2013, 01:01 AM
Next time you see something like that, the safest thing to do might be to just hit Control-Alt-Delete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control-Alt-Delete), and then close your browser from the Task Manager. I've done that when I've had pesky windows that looked suspicious. Even though not everybody thinks of it as the cat's meow (whatever that means), I consider this keyboard combination to be a gift to humanity.

Jason1616
09-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Jackie,
I am so sorry this happened to you! At least now you know it will never happen again.

I got this same call just a few days ago, they mentioned something right away about "your windows computer" and I just said "Nope" and hung up. I knew it was scam/telemarketer since I have a Mac. They are clearly just calling random people.

Colorix
09-28-2013, 04:07 AM
... close your browser from the Task Manager.

I'm sure you're absolutely right, and I want to ask: what is the reason for using Task Manager and not the start button?

I'm not questioning, I'm just the kind of person who wants reasons, and I don't "speak Computerese".

RickinNM
09-28-2013, 06:10 AM
I'm sure you're absolutely right, and I want to ask: what is the reason for using Task Manager and not the start button?

I'm not questioning, I'm just the kind of person who wants reasons, and I don't "speak Computerese".

The task manager can close the browsers even if browser is locked with a bad popup like you try to leave a page or close a tab and it keeps asking you are you sure press accept . These can install bad things but task manager can close almost any bad pages and prevent bad codes being installed . In task manager find program in program tab or processes tab process tab works best the highlight and push stop and its closed.

Start button sometimes lets a program finish before shutting down. Task manager just can close a process instead of the whole computer .

Eric

ps when I think of the jerks who do this crap I think of caneing like in Singapore I think. Smack em with a BIG stick.:evil::lol::evil::clap:

jackiesimmonds
09-28-2013, 06:53 AM
wow, missed all of this because of Open Studio.

thanks for all this.

I am quite a wary person; I never answer emails which say something about my account being compromised and "click here to reset your password": I just delete those. I very, very rarely install anything on my computer, I do not touch my antivirus programmes or perform checks, I simply install windows updates when prompted. I do not install music of any kind. I never open attachments from unknown senders (and often from known senders, like friends who send me videos, I do not bother with them, I jut hit delete). I don't use memory sticks, and I do not add addons.

However, I do visit sites like Pinterest, and other online image-bearing sites, and I download images. I have occasionally downloaded a recommended programme such as a graphics editor like Faststone Image Viewer, or SmartDraw, but have used those for years without problems.

I have no idea how the Trojans got onto my computer; my tech guy said they probably came in with SOMETHING I must have downloaded, even just an image. I have a large "downloads" folder, so obviously I do download stuff.

I do not keep lists of passwords, or any other stupid actions like that.

I appreciate the input.

Jackie

*Deirdre*
09-28-2013, 07:39 AM
I've had a few of those...and find the quickest way to get rid of them is to put on a shaky voice and say I don't have a computer!

Ruthie57
09-28-2013, 08:36 AM
I've had several of this type of call. I just hang up.
Reading the above has got me worried though as I don't understand the half of it!
Worst thing I've had recently is loads of e mails from BT (British Telecommunications) telling me my yahoo account is closing and I won't be able to get my e mail unless I click a link and fill in some details. I ignored them for a while but eventually clicked the link and was taken to a site which looked EXACTLY the same as the BT site.
I entered the BT site independently and there was no such page on the "real" site.
I e mailed them and sent the details under their phishing prevention programme. Haven't heard a thing back from the "real" BT though.

Yorky
09-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Safest thing is to sign up for gmail at mail.google.com. This gives you a email service independent of your broadband supplier and you can log in and get your email anywhere. There is a provision for adding on other historic email addresses in case people send you emails to your old address.

In fact my BT email address is now a gmail address. After you have created a gmail address, log into your BT account and change your details to your gmail address.

Doug

jackiesimmonds
09-28-2013, 01:05 PM
thanks Doug, but I have been with gmail for ages now. That was a huge consolation, because I was able to continue to communicate, via my laptop.

One galling thing to come out of this.......I had a different tech guy, someone recommended to me.

He could not get around the password put onto my machine by these crooks. So he took it away, in order, he said, to reinstall Windows.

He brought it back several days later, saying he had "managed to do things differently" and when I asked if he had managed to re-upload some of the extra programmes I had had, like Photoshop elements, he said everything was as it was.

It certainly seems to be the case....so I now wonder if in fact he ever did reinstall Windows. I suspect he just managed to do a "work around" and then he cleaned up the machine a bit, taking off a couple of the programmes recently installed by my usual tech guy, like a malware protection thingy, and he took of AVG which I had installed.

I don't mind - except that i PAID for a Windows reinstall. Perhaps whatever he did took the same amount of time. But I am left wondering................

BeckyMc
09-28-2013, 10:26 PM
A Windows Re-install would take way less time than fixing things up. You're probably okay on the money.

Davkin
09-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Safest thing is to sign up for gmail at mail.google.com. This gives you a email service independent of your broadband supplier and you can log in and get your email anywhere. There is a provision for adding on other historic email addresses in case people send you emails to your old address.

In fact my BT email address is now a gmail address. After you have created a gmail address, log into your BT account and change your details to your gmail address.

Doug

Most broadband suppliers now have an account login that allows you to get your email from anywhere. I access my personal Comcast email account from work all the time......more than I should in fact. :D

David

vhere
08-09-2014, 09:15 AM
I get these every so often. I put on a dim and quavery voice and tell them I don't have a computer it stops them for a while.

*Deirdre*
08-09-2014, 09:40 AM
I get these every so often. I put on a dim and quavery voice and tell them I don't have a computer it stops them for a while.
I've said 'does it affect my electric typewriter...because that what I type my letters on.....listen to the confusion that causes them! :evil: :lol:

robertsloan2
08-09-2014, 11:01 AM
hahahahaha Deirdre, I love it!

Blayne
08-09-2014, 11:10 PM
How awful, Jackie. I received a call from them just the other day and rather rudely told them to not call again. I hope that doesn't start a chain of calls from them. Does your laptop give a message to close the page if you are using a different browser? I never use Internet Explorer but prefer the Firefox browser because it is supposedly safer and, to me, is easier to use and has better features than IE.

claude j greengrass
03-21-2015, 01:54 PM
I have a good laugh every time they call. It's particularly funny, as I don't run MS Windows nor do I have a Mac. All my computers run Linux or Chrome OS which has Linux at it heart.

I try to keep these scammers on the phone as long as possible, as if they are talking to me, they can't be scamming you. It's great to listen to their frustration as I follow there detailed instructions with a completely NULL result.

With Linux, properly configured, I don't need a firewall and I don't run Anti-virus software. With Chrome OS I get my software updated automatically and painlessly. Just a quick reboot, sub-10 seconds, and I'm good to go.

Consider a Chromebook-Chromebox-Chromebase for your next computer.

BTW: Chrome OS is not the same as the Chrome web browser.

ural jones
03-21-2015, 02:30 PM
David and Donna , I do the very same thing. No one answers our phone unless we know who is calling. Usually the T.V. is on and we get a notice of who the caller is. Sometimes it notes an unlisted number. Most of the time it is a call from some collection agency somewhere in the U.S. I unplug the phone when I retire to bed. But, as you say, if it is important, they can leave a message.
Jackie, I get those messages on my PC also to upgrade or to 'speed up' or to clean up the computer. Totally ignore them! Another thing, do not set your computer to automatically upgrade Windows. You can do that yourself occasionally.

SAS Designs
03-21-2015, 06:28 PM
Same scam calls are happening in New England now - they are using a LEGITIMATE land line number on the caller ID. When you do a reverse lookup for the number - there is a message it has been HACKED - and a number in Canada to call - Canada is better about tracking down these violators. ALso saying they are from AMEX ( American Express) warning about a "problem with your account" asking you to log onto a certain website - which much be a virus loaded one.
Scary to think people can use someone else's number on caller ID. Sometimes they still say they are from Windows tech, problem with your computer "sending out a signal, etc"
I now keep a VERY LOUD police whistle next to my phone - and let the person talk for a few seconds b4 I BLAST away.
Not kind of me, I know - but these callers are awful, and just don't stop.

Moqui Steps
03-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Imagine the wonderful artwork that these people might create if they channeled all their energy spent trying to scam us into ART!

getdusty
03-22-2015, 03:47 PM
Funny that this thread has been resurrected. My 88 y.o. mother just got one of those calls about problems with her computer. Of course, she does not have and has never had a computer. :)