PDA

View Full Version : Masked Woman..needs better title...

KenzieMiller
09-21-2013, 12:44 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2013/1360657-gif_masked_lady.gif

Hello everyone! This was an attempt on make a more distorted face without smooth blending and no real skin color while keeping form... At the end I went back and blended more, to no avail and forced myself to stop. Either way, what do you guys think? I realize that the eyes aren't shaded correctly and the lips are a little screwy. (This was my second face painting by the way:p I should post them in chronological order so you can see my progress...) Feedback is very welcome!

KenzieMiller
09-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Oh forgot to say this needs to be moved to open critique...thanks moderators:)

snoball
09-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Generally I don't like a face that close to the edge, especially looking out of the picture, but this one seems to work quite well. Perhaps it is because she is looking out of the picture that makes it work. In any case my eyes do not follow her out. I follow the curve of the feathers around to her lips and up to her eyes and stay. I rather like it.

KenzieMiller
09-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Generally I don't like a face that close to the edge, especially looking out of the picture, but this one seems to work quite well. Perhaps it is because she is looking out of the picture that makes it work. In any case my eyes do not follow her out. I follow the curve of the feathers around to her lips and up to her eyes and stay. I rather like it.

I'm glad that you do! I was scared to try it, but you have to try things your uncomfortable with to get better, right? My next will have better form on the face. I'm trying to get over perfecting everything, so once it's down on the canvas, it's done, and I move on. Thank you:)

La_
09-22-2013, 12:57 AM
what size and medium is this please, always http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2013/84648-glassesf_2.gif ... let me guess ... just because ... acrylic? 20x16"?

she's lovely and my only pick is to think about being more consistent in 'drama' for the shadow edges - eye and nose edges as compared to cheek/chin and neck edges - they could be more compatible while still keeping the eyes most dominant.

la

KenzieMiller
09-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Acrylic, 24" x 36" I believe! I have to double check that.

Oh I think I know what you're saying. How bold and dark they are. I didn't notice that before! They should have been more abrupt instead of fading, is what you're saying? That definitely would have helped. Thank you for pointing that out:)

Andrewcody
09-23-2013, 03:23 AM
The eyes and the neck need work.
The eyes look like stuck on pieces of paper and the neck...I cannot reconcile with a real neck
The feathers are good, the mask is not bad.
Lips look good by themselves
The nose.....I know the shadowed areas need to be dramatic but there is no connection between the nose and the upper lip, the philtrum appears to go up into a void.
Regards
Andrew

dgford
09-23-2013, 08:22 AM
I agree with Andrew on the nose to lip area.
Eyes have a basic spherical form therefore they should show tonal changes, according to the light source, as all other parts of the face will have.

I think you tackled this very well and made a very interesting composition.

Geoff

KenzieMiller
09-24-2013, 12:49 PM
The eyes and the neck need work.
The eyes look like stuck on pieces of paper and the neck...I cannot reconcile with a real neck
The feathers are good, the mask is not bad.
Lips look good by themselves
The nose.....I know the shadowed areas need to be dramatic but there is no connection between the nose and the upper lip, the philtrum appears to go up into a void.
Regards
Andrew

I figured the eyes needed more shading, there is some, but it's lost in the pic. I almost think this picture would be more stunning if it was just the mask. I didn't notice that before about the nose either, that is a big problem! Thank you for your comments.

I agree with Andrew on the nose to lip area.
Eyes have a basic spherical form therefore they should show tonal changes, according to the light source, as all other parts of the face will have.

I think you tackled this very well and made a very interesting composition.

Geoff

I want to master the eyes, so next time I will pay much more attention to the shading. Thanks!

Andrewcody
09-24-2013, 09:58 PM
The whites of eyes are never white, they are closer to flesh tone
Eyeballs are round too
Regards
Andrew

xislandman
09-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Just stumbled on to this... I love this type of art. Good work.

KenzieMiller
09-27-2013, 03:15 PM
Just stumbled on to this... I love this type of art. Good work.

Thanks so much! I'm still figuring out what kind of art it is...:lol:

maqbool
09-28-2013, 06:28 AM
like it the way it is

Ian_Myford
09-30-2013, 01:08 AM
Love it!

Maybe it wasn't your intention but it has a pop art quality. Leave the eyes and the mouth, I think there's a time when too much detail will spoil the overall effect.

Yes and I like the face on the edge, it seems to be right here. The mood looking out of the painting.

Joe'sHottie
10-01-2013, 03:42 PM
I love the placement, the colors and the subject. The lips bother me a bit, though - seems like the top lip should be shaded a bit more and the bottom lip highlighted a bit more. Overall, great job.

KenzieMiller
10-02-2013, 06:13 PM
I appreciate it everyone:) Agreed, but remember I'm just starting. Sometimes I have to remind myself that and not make everything perfect! That's what I've been doing. I would rather get things done than stay on one thing forever:)

eyecandy2
10-02-2013, 08:47 PM
I like it and I don't think that, considering the style, you need to do anything to it. Leave it as is and for what it is. What is the media and the size?

ispyart
10-03-2013, 04:57 AM
very dramatic and bold

KenzieMiller
10-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Thank you, thank you!:)

It's acrylic on a 24 x (32?) canvas. I know it's not quite three feet.

Andrewcody
10-09-2013, 10:53 PM
I don't know any artist who ever considers that they have everything perfect, but they strive towards accuracy. Whether that is to the image or to the idea in mind.

I would call this ' On the Fringe '

Regards
Andrew

KarinaRose
10-10-2013, 01:36 AM
I really like the drama of this! I think I would have used some of the yellow color of the face in the mask. Maybe in the highlights. And some of the red of the mask reflected into the shadow on her face to unify the elements

KenzieMiller
10-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Oooh, good idea. I definitely should have done that. Thanks by the way:)

KarinaRose
10-14-2013, 09:19 PM
Nobody is really responding to the better title idea I see... How about Alter Ego

Deshy
10-16-2013, 11:53 PM
I like it but don't quite like the yellow skin tones

KenzieMiller
10-17-2013, 09:26 PM
I was thinking about a better title, but couldn't figure one out. I like that though! Like she is a different person when the mask is on.

I originally was going to do a much more abstract face but I kind of overworked it to the point of where it's at now. I was too tired of it to try to change the colors. Thanks!