PDA

View Full Version : Trees at the beach in the evening

tstellma
09-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Thatīs at the coast of Mallorca (Paguera).
Ref is an own sketch. Painting is done with oil on canvas, size 50x70 cm.
It is in the evening, the sun is behind the trees. Only a few people are strolling about.

Would like to get some Feedback. Thank you!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2013/199900-DSCN3349.JPG

La_
09-22-2013, 12:40 AM
love the composition and the atmospheric depth ... like the wonky, crooked tree 'cause it's different yet believable

potential picks - i thought the tiny trio was wee trees as i would prefer them trees only a bit bigger ... softness - i know you're a softy, you like milky soft and i'm a blendaholic so i can relate to this soft, but i yearn a bit here, for somehow a better balance of edge and soft, be it more value contrast specifically or edges, rmnnm, i don't know ... could be the photo too, right ... on my screen the darkest is the midground shadow horizontal under the trees and a sharp dark dot on the upper bend of ms crooked ... the soft vs more edged is not consistent with the distance and light - this may or may not be reality. ... of shadows, loooooong shadows for looooooow sun can add a nice spunk to a piece, maybe ... anyway, ponderable and i'd rather be seeing the reality of it.

la

steveoreno
09-22-2013, 12:49 AM
Very nice work.

D.W. Flint
09-22-2013, 11:19 PM
I like the overall compositions and colors...One thing I was wondering about are the prevailing winds in that area. The two front trees suggest it is off shore which is just the opposite of the winds in our area and most beaches I think. Also, the large tree appears to be growing out of the sand which also seems unusual.
Anyway, just observations from a scrub artist. Nice job over all...

tstellma
09-23-2013, 05:17 PM
@ La... the tiny trio at the left landīs end should be people, not wee trees. Should I make them more precise?
As the painting is more in back light I applied more soft edges as the rays are bent at the edges. Done right?
Below the row of trees there should be a wall where I applied dark paint. Maybe I painted it too sloppy.
OK, I will check light and shadow.
Thank you for Analysis.

@Steve... thank you

@D. W. Flint, you are right, the wind is blowing from sea to land, in the night vice versa, but weaker.
Trees are growing towards the light. You can see it sometimes at the margin of a grove where the trees are bent outside. In my painting was a small Wood to the right which I did not depict. I think this is the reason for the movement of the tree.
The tree is a pine which grows also on sandy soil.

Andrewcody
09-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Wee tree people maybe ?

Nice work Tst, ethereal quality for an ephemeral landscape

Regards
Andrew

tstellma
09-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Thanks Andrew, yes, I wanted to indicate some people strolling about

flying
09-27-2013, 12:28 AM
Color is very good, some places can be a little careful characterization