PDA

View Full Version : Background for close-up flower paintings

zeropoint
09-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Hi all!

I've recently begun doing abstract flower paintings based on close-up photographs of flowers I like.

The problem I'm having is that, quite frankly, I'm a little bored already by the backgrounds of the photos and want to do something more interesting than grass and/or sky again and again.

Any suggestions for other things to use/how to shake things up?

Thanks!

Cheryl Nielson
09-24-2013, 12:11 PM
What about wet into wet blurred out with complimentary colors to subject...
Splattering for texture...
Salt for texture...
negative painting to compliment the subject matter...

samben84
09-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Maybe a checkerboard or stripes? A graded wash from one color to the next, diagonally across the whole background?

kagiva59
09-29-2013, 11:09 PM
For my canna flower backdrop, I took my reference photo and clipped out the foreground in photoshop (the free program 'gimp' can do this also). Pasted this to its own layer, and added and played with about a dozen backdrops in other layers with my clip layer on top. I played with gradients, other photos and anything I could think of before choosing one.

Charlie's Mum
10-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Yes, as said above, if you have a programme such as Photoshop (there are free ones available too) just play around and see what inspires you.
You don't have to stick to the reference unless doing strict botanical art ... make use of the medium of choice and play with it - but practise on scrap first!

Take a look at any of our monthly Plant Parade challenges and see how others use the refs and change things around. ... and why not join us this month?:)

Lea51
10-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I'll be by interested in how you choose to resolve this. I tend to stick too slavishly to the reference, so I'm always impressed by the creativity of others who try something different. I'll be waiting to see what you post!

Vivien Maloney
10-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Like Lea, I'm also interested in what you decide.
Don't forget to post your painting for us so we can all see how you've resolved this. :thumbsup: