PDA

View Full Version : Mucha's daughter, Jaraslova

budigart
09-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Jaraslova, 14X18, oil on panel, after Alphonse Mucha

AllisonR
09-20-2013, 02:27 PM
What a fun artist, thanks for sharing. I actually like your fleshtones better than the original. I do think that the oval of the original really frames the portrait well, though this is easy for you to solve. Your eyes are lovely, but too big-open compared to the original, where the eyes seem still open but more relaxed. And shadows on nose could be more subtle. But otherwise a wonderful copy!

budigart
09-20-2013, 04:30 PM
I say yes to almost all of your points. I would liked to have done the oval frame, but this was a learning experience for me and not a financial journey. I feel I can learn something from copying, especially art that moves me in some way. By the way, my flesh palette is very simple . . . yellow ocher, alizarin, burnt umber (Old Holland), ivory black and flake white (Cremnitz). You can hit about 96% of all flesh tones with mixes of these five colors. Also, while I'm agreeing with you, bear in mind that taking and posting photos is perilous business, too. I'd give a million to figure out how to copy my paintings faithfully in photos.

AllisonR
09-21-2013, 11:30 AM
I say yes to almost all of your points. I would liked to have done the oval frame, but this was a learning experience for me and not a financial journey. I feel I can learn something from copying, especially art that moves me in some way. By the way, my flesh palette is very simple . . . yellow ocher, alizarin, burnt umber (Old Holland), ivory black and flake white (Cremnitz). You can hit about 96% of all flesh tones with mixes of these five colors. Also, while I'm agreeing with you, bear in mind that taking and posting photos is perilous business, too. I'd give a million to figure out how to copy my paintings faithfully in photos.

Interesting, that is close to my flesh palette as well - learned at the Florence Academy of Art. Only much more english red than alizarin. Plus a tiny bit of other palette colors when necessary - which is only the addition of a cadmium yellow and ultramarine, that is the whole palette.

About the photos - ha, I'd give a million and one. There are some tricks. I am no expert, but one thing that helped me is that I include a proper color chart with my photo, so that the camera does not overcompensate for whatever color casts exist in the painting. I photograph outside if possible.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Sep-2013/133314-ColorChart.jpg

In our thread in this forum - La Belle Ferroniere - Nathalie gives a very long, detailed, and useful post about photographing art work. You will have to read through some of the thread to find it, but it is a thread worth reading. Several of us all painted the same master painting, and shared our color palettes, techniques...

budigart
09-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Yes, of course, it is necessary to tweak this basic flesh palette from a few other colors on your palette, but actually, not many. Sadly, I admit that I use a simple P&S digital camera and shoot inside. My big technical achievement is setting the white balance, and then tweaking in Photoshop.