PDA

View Full Version : Red chimney pot

michelangelo71
09-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi,all.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2013/204303-Comignolo.jpgI paint in oils, but I'm getting close also to the watercolor technique. I find it beautiful and interesting, especially because 'it needs little material and I could practice it in the evening and / or when I can not paint with oils.
This' one of the first studies I'm doing.
C&c welcome.

Yorky
09-19-2013, 04:06 PM
And a fine chimney pot it is!

You are doing great with your watercolours.

Doug

LynnM
09-19-2013, 04:27 PM
Certainly looks very clay red, well done! Some lovely paintings on your blog, Brunella, you are good at many subjects. Looking forward to seeing more of your journey in watercolour.

michelangelo71
09-20-2013, 03:36 AM
Thank you, Doug! :)

Thank you, Lynn, for visiting my site. :)

pjartwc
09-20-2013, 04:44 AM
Love the chimmney pot - and the trees to the right.

olliewood0702
09-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Yes you're doing a great job with watercolors; this is a fine painting.

M.L. Schaefer
09-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Hello, Brunella! I love your early forays into watercolor on your site...and your other medium paintings are so very lovely! I'm excited as to how you will travel in your watercolors...I foresee great things!

Ah, your chimney pot...lovely offset against the green of the trees, but I would darken some values and work a bit on the top of the pot...it looks a bit wonky, and that may be because there is some confusion to the eye as regards the shadow under the lip and the actual lip as it recedes from the light. And a bit of touch-up to the base as it sits in the building roof.

I would also like to see more work on the supporting building, it looks a bit flat (and I know from your other work that your perspective and color value skills are very good!) You may try some pencil marks to establish where you want to establish light/dark in the buildings. Pencil marks are perfectly acceptable in watercolor work, they don't have to be erased unless one wants to erase. In fact, some collectors love to see those pencil marks!

Watercolor is very exciting...I think it will fast become one of your favorite mediums, and the challenge is part of the excitement!!!! Welcome to Watercolor Forum!

:heart: Margarete

painterbear
09-23-2013, 06:13 AM
Hi Brunella,
I am also intriqued by architectural elements like the one you've painted here.

You're using watercolors nicely, often oil painters have a hard time transitioning to the looser use of the medium. :thumbsup:

I agree that deepening the tone of the shadows on the pot will make the shape read better and the light look lighter.

Nicely done.

Sylvia

BTW, if you leave a blank line between any text and the image, it won't try to wrap around the picture as it has ^^^. ;)