PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Where Am I?

JELLYBEAD
09-19-2013, 09:18 AM
Hi,
Just to let you know no formal art education other than highschool, books and the internet. This is a third or fourth painting I have tried.

This painting is oil on 11x14, hardboard, from one of my photos when we visited Selby Gardens in Florida. Its triple primed to get a very smooth surface and I took artist license with it (a lot!). What I would like to impart is as sense of calm tinkling water. I do not believe I have accomplishedthis here but I do not know what is wrong with it.

The work is unfinished, I do not know how to fix the tallplants in the upper right and I have not worked on the rock or water much. That dark streak where it meets the water is supposed to be a wall that surroundsthis part of the scene.

Sorry about the fuzzy photo, I shake and don't have a tripod and is the best I could do.

Anyhow, I sure could use your help and suggestions. I have a tough hide, so your comments and suggestions are most welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2013/62974-Where_Am_I.jpg

Original Photo
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2013/62974-2013-03-16_14.57.15-c.jpg

gebhm
09-19-2013, 11:24 AM
I like what you are doing with this. To me part of your water problem is this. The water fall and stream to it is like a ghost image. The water is only faintly there. I would bring it out more. Where it lands on the rocks below in the pond there is no pond. It looks more like concrete to me. I can see where you are try to match the picture but the colors are off and there is no reflection or highlights in the pond. The pond wall disapears into the pond. I can see it is supose to be there but is not. Make the wall visible a little more. You certainly have a great start here, do not quit on it! This is only my opinion and others may disagree or have better options.

JELLYBEAD
09-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi gebhem and thanks for your comments. I will use your suggestions for the pond. :clap:

snoball
09-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Work on your reflections in the pond and the ripples and you will have what you want in the water. A few highlights on the little waterfall will give it substance. I also think if you throw in some plants of some sort in the empty area between the large plants on the right and the pot of pink flowers it will tie it together.
Nice work so far and as gebhm says, don't quit. :)

JELLYBEAD
09-20-2013, 06:48 AM
Snobal,

I see what you meanabout the pond, waterfall and plants. I'll work on those areas.

Do you have anysuggestions for those plants in the upper right behind the little waterfall?I've worked and reworked them, but they seem somehow off and can't put myfinger on it. Should I paint them out and start again?

Oh I won't quit,I've waiting until retirement to be able to get into it.

Thanks so much foryour help.:clap:

snoball
09-20-2013, 06:52 AM
I think if you will put some other plants in that blank area, you will quit noticing those large plants that bother you.

JELLYBEAD
09-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Okay, I'll go ahead and see if that works. Thanks for your help.

snoball
09-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Hope you don't mind me fooling with your painting in photoshop but here are some suggestions. I made the large leaf thinner, cut the thick stem, added some foliage in the space, brightened the waterfall, and added a few ripples. These are things I would do if it were my painting, others might not agree.:)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Sep-2013/36183-Untitled-1_copy.jpg

JELLYBEAD
09-20-2013, 09:31 AM
I don't mind at all in fact I love it because I misunderstood where you suggested the taller plants go. Now I can "see" what you meant. I like your suggestion for the ripples and especially brightening the waterfall a bit. Now I can wait to get back to this one which won't be possible until Saturday or Sunday...oh darn!

You've been so helpful and have given me a renewed interest in this painting...I was so stuck with it - thanks so very, very much!

I'll post it with the changes as soon as I can.