PDA

View Full Version : Ruined Schoolhouse

lizinlanse
09-18-2013, 09:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Sep-2013/1349289-002.JPG

Done with Reeves WC, on Canson XL, 9x12. I still have to add the tree to the left and the large trees that show around the top of the building. I based this painting on a photo from flickr, I can't take credit! Comments, critique welcome! :)

Yorky
09-19-2013, 02:14 AM
I would think about shadows. A good way to decide is to try them on a print of your painting.

Doug

lizinlanse
09-19-2013, 02:37 AM
Thanks, Doug. I'll think about placement. My first thought it..but there aren't shadows in the photo. I have to remember I can take some artistic license...

Yorky
09-19-2013, 03:11 AM
Many plein air artists paint in the morning and evening as that is when they get the best shadows. If they aren't there you have to invent them.

doug

pjartwc
09-19-2013, 04:41 AM
You have a good start. I agree with Doug, you do need the shadows. It's good to remember that a reference is just that - and not to just copy, but to improve on it. A mistake we all make at one time or another.

olliewood0702
09-19-2013, 02:33 PM
It's looking good so far Liz. I'm waiting to see more progress. It will finish up very nicely I bet. ;)

lizinlanse
09-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks Jan, thanks Darla! I'll be working on it momentarily...I'll post an update!

M.L. Schaefer
09-20-2013, 02:50 AM
Hello, Lis! I love the colors in your bushes, and the fence has good perspective. I agree, shadows. Decide where the sun hits, and paint the building to show a light side and a darker, as well as ground shadows. Good job on your sky....but as time goes by, you may want to invest in some artist's quality paint...Lukas has some good paint at good prices...you will be absolutely amazed at how much your work will improve overnight with bright, highly pigmented color!

Now, the only disconcerting part that bothered me is the red on the roof...I'm thinking it may be a rusted corrugated tin roof? If so, it should be a more muted colors, like burnt sienna, burnt umber, or the like. (There are wonderful tutorials in the Learning Zone) about painting rust. And, if it is corrugated tin, there should be an indication of lines on the roof. (I have old corrugated tin roofs on my mind because I just looked them up on the net to get some "imprinted" images in my head for a possible old shack/cabin painting I am thinking about! Go figure!)

And, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

:heart: Margarete

lizinlanse
09-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Hi Margarete! Yes, I agree on the roof. It was hard to tell from the photo exactly what the red part of the roof was. It was something under the shingles...very well could be corrugated tin....it didn't have a rusty look to it, it was solid red... After I was done I thought maybe I should have omitted that part and just made the roof all like the shingled part. I'm going shopping this weekend and just might treat myself to a Winsor and Newton tube of paint! The finished painting is now in the gallery. Thanks for your kind words!