PDA

View Full Version : Water Color Backing

Dr. Keith L. Young
06-25-2001, 05:45 PM
Hi,

I have a quick question regarding WC backing when framing. Does the corrugated backing board which is usually supplied with the frame contain an acid free buffer? In other words, can acid from the cardboard seep through the back of the WC and affect the front in time? No one in my art group seemed to have an answer.

Thanks, Keith:)

VictoriaS
06-25-2001, 06:20 PM
If what you mean by "corrugated backing board" is brown-paper cardboard, then yes, it does contain acid that can eventually affect the painting. If it's acid-free it will say so. But as far as I know (I could be wrong), no brown cardboards are acid-free. Better to replace it with something else, like foamcore.

Victoria

TMoore
06-26-2001, 12:30 AM
Believe me it won't take very long to do it either. Good thing your so alert.

Dr. Keith L. Young
06-27-2001, 01:38 PM
Many thanks for your comments! You don't know how greatful I am. I have many pieces which I won awards for that I mounted with the corrugated cardboard which was supplied with the frames. I will remount them all using "acid-free" foam.

I notice one piece which I bought that had "Safeguard Corrubord archivable" printed on it. It is white. I am sure this is the safe stuff.

Many suppliers import their frames and who knows what is in their cardboard.

Keith