PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along 7 Fall 2013 Discussion

Pages : [1] 2

Johannes Instructor
09-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Paint Along 7 with Johannes Vloothuis
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2013/135220-IMG_9248.jpg

Follow Johannes' steps with other students in a relaxed non formal studio environment, in a 4 hour marathon during 4 Saturdays from September 28 to October 19. He will start a painting from scratch and finish it in real time while you watch and if you want, paint along as well during a live video feed. Because of the lengthy duration of the class you will be able to complete your own art creation as well. During the class you will receive verbal techniques, color combinations professional secrets, and instructions to guide you along the way. If you miss a part of the class or cannot make it one day, don't worry everything will be recorded and for download so you miss nothing. Two demos is oils. One demo in watercolor and another in pastels. 16 hours of high quality art instruction.
To register:
When? September 28 to October 19
What time? 1 to 5 PM EST (Check your local time)
Medium? All
$21.99 http://www.northlightshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=u1427 (http://www.northlightshop.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=u1427)
Important note: After you make your payment you will have to register a second time at go to meeting or you will not have access to the live video. Check your Northlight receipt for the registration link. PayPal payees send a copy of your receipt to this email: [email protected] ([email protected])

mickisew
09-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Johannes:

Purchased, registered and ready to go! I look forward to our session.

Micki

ToskaFromAlabama
09-17-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm registered and kind of ready to go. I just had a large deck built, so will be doing a different kind of painting. I was going to hire someone to pre-wash and stain. They wanted a ridiculous $1500, with me providing the stain! So, I was out there washing it this morning.

Jo, what is the National Parks plein air painting about next year? I saw it on your home page.

Tonalist
09-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Jo, what is the National Parks plein air painting about next year? I saw it on your home page.

wow.. Just checked that out. That's both exciting and Impressive.

woody

mickisew
09-17-2013, 09:18 PM
wow.. Just checked that out. That's both exciting and Impressive.

woody

Yes it does! I hope we will also be able to get the videos. I'm game!

Micki

Johannes Instructor
09-18-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm registered and kind of ready to go. I just had a large deck built, so will be doing a different kind of painting. I was going to hire someone to pre-wash and stain. They wanted a ridiculous $1500, with me providing the stain! So, I was out there washing it this morning.

I will use a Verizon air card hooked up to a system that lets me broadcast and stream video. I figured why not travel around the West and do plein air painting and use this as a workshop. The viewers will see me discuss the plein air scene and strategies to overcome the typical traps. It will be like a reality show. I already have a way not be interrupted if it rains. Cool huh?

ToskaFromAlabama
09-18-2013, 09:27 AM
That's more than cool! Can I come?
Artists that keep up with technology are way ahead of the game. Good for you.

Jacdesusbielle
09-18-2013, 10:11 AM
What a good idea Joe ! I was in the west last summer and enjoyed enormously what I saw. Will be glad to see your workshop and paint along with the video some of these wonderful landscapes.

Linda Reyes1959
09-18-2013, 01:14 PM
I will use a Verizon air card hooked up to a system that lets me broadcast and stream video. I figured why not travel around the West and do plein air painting and use this as a workshop. The viewers will see me discuss the plein air scene and strategies to overcome the typical traps. It will be like a reality show. I already have a way not be interrupted if it rains. Cool huh? I can't wait for this, I wish I could be there.

MapperGis
09-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Signed up for number 7
Excited to hear more about your next adventure.

Sorry I can't be in Kentucky this month.
Also just ordered your new oil painting DVD which is already
on back order. I guess that is a good sign for you.:)

Lois

Johannes Instructor
09-18-2013, 03:49 PM
That's more than cool! Can I come?
Artists that keep up with technology are way ahead of the game. Good for you.
I will try to recruit people along the way for workshops. I will give more info about this later. Still in the works.

ToskaFromAlabama
09-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Great, put me on your waiting list! I'll save my pennies.

Jo, could you take a look at the student critiques? I don't think they've been looked at for a while. tks

Tonalist
09-19-2013, 09:41 AM
OK... Just signed up for number 7.

I went to Improve my paintings.. from there to North Light.. purchased
it.. filled out the GotoMeeting form..
BUT..

when it usually sends me to the student Access page, it sent me
to JO'S Home page.. ImproveMyPaintings.

Is that what happened for the rest of you? Has Jo not set up the Access page yet?
OR.. Is something wrong that I have to fix?

Thanks for any help

woody

ToskaFromAlabama
09-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Woody,

Yes, it is correct. Actually, it is not Jo's homepage but his website and the page has the link to click on to "Watch Live Video". You should go to the page provided and read the page. Then, bookmark it as this won't be available to those not registered. That is my understanding.

Hope this helps, (and that I am correct) :angel:

Tonalist
09-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Hello Toska.. Thanks for your help.

I re-registered through "GotoMeeting" again.. and again it sent me to Jo's Home page instead of the Student Access page.

I'll wait and see if JO sees this post.. if not I'll just send him an email.
Thanks for your help..

woody

Johannes Instructor
09-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Hello Toska.. Thanks for your help.

I re-registered through "GotoMeeting" again.. and again it sent me to Jo's Home page instead of the Student Access page.

I'll wait and see if JO sees this post.. if not I'll just send him an email.
Thanks for your help..

woody
I have corrected this. Your email should have the correct link.

Tonalist
09-19-2013, 02:07 PM
I have corrected this. Your email should have the correct link.

Got it Jo.. thank you.

woody

Rosemarie
09-20-2013, 05:47 AM
Hi, Johannes!
May I have a wish? Could the wc paint along paint something totally without any winter connection? I would love some red mountian from Arizona or something. Is that possible?

Johannes Instructor
09-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi, Johannes!
May I have a wish? Could the wc paint along paint something totally without any winter connection? I would love some red mountian from Arizona or something. Is that possible?
Fair enough!

Rosemarie
09-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Great! I am looking forward to the next paint along.

mickisew
09-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Something from the tropics including palm trees or another mission would be welcome as well.

Just suggesting - you are the instructor. :-)

Micki

Johannes Instructor
09-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Something from the tropics including palm trees or another mission would be welcome as well.

Just suggesting - you are the instructor. :-)

Micki
Mission it is!

Nahant
09-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Mission Possible!

cmedford
09-21-2013, 02:53 AM
I am registered for the demo tomorrow and the class starting next Saturday. Yeah ! Can't wait for another Johannes session.

mickisew
09-21-2013, 04:25 PM
There were over 700 viewing the demo today; I hope many will sign up for our next paint-along session.

I look forward to next Saturday.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
09-21-2013, 05:29 PM
There were over 700 viewing the demo today; I hope many will sign up for our next paint-along session.

I look forward to next Saturday.

Micki
Those many well within the painting as it developed?

mirizar
09-21-2013, 11:47 PM
After today's demo, I was thinking of joining but Saturdays don't work for me. Are all paint-alongs usually Saturdays? Is it worth it for me to watch it and do it on the following Monday instead or is the interaction with Johannes critical?

Another question: Will the oil paintings require an acrylic underpainting as in today's demo?

Thanks for any info,
Michelle

Rosemarie
09-22-2013, 01:53 AM
Those many well within the painting as it developed?
Yes,during the whole class.

Rosemarie
09-22-2013, 01:57 AM
After today's demo, I was thinking of joining but Saturdays don't work for me. Are all paint-alongs usually Saturdays? Is it worth it for me to watch it and do it on the following Monday instead or is the interaction with Johannes critical?

Thanks for any info,
Michelle

It is well worth in my opinion. You will be able to download the video later in the week. Then you can start and stop the video as you paint.

Sorry I can't answer about the acrylics. I paint in wc.

Sgourlayart
09-22-2013, 06:11 AM

Another question: Will the oil paintings require an acrylic underpainting as in today's demo?

Thanks for any info,
MichelleMichelle, I agree with Rosemarie that it is well worth it to download and watch the video later and paint along while watching. In prior paintalongs Johannes has not used an acrylic underpainting but rather an oil underpainting with Liquin to accelerate its setup. Since this was a two hour demo, it's my opionion that he used the acrylics to be able to fit the whole painting into the two hours. If he doesn't answer this question here, Email him at his website and he will respond. These paintalongs are extremely helpful in teaching the "flow" or "rhythm" of paint application. Even if he does use an acrylic underpainting, you could easily do it in oils and wait a bit longer and then come back and finish up, especially since you can't paint along on Saturdays. Johannes needs some artists, but not all, painting along to generate questions for the discussion that goes on during the workshop. The only disadvantage to not doing the course live is the inability to ask questions while you are painting. I hope this is helpful. These paintalongs are terrific. Stu

Linda Reyes1959
09-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Thanks for any info,
Michelle Michelle, you should defiantly sign up. You can always download the recordings and view latter and as often as you want. I like to have the recordings playing in the back ground when ever I'm painting, no matter the subject.
I checked out your website, love your birds.

Johannes Instructor
09-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Thanks for any info,
Michelle
I tend to read the questions out loud so they get recorded. Only in special cases I put an acrylic underpainting. It is not a common practice.

MKH
09-22-2013, 10:02 AM
The reception on Sat 21 was terrible. Had to constantly reload. It seems it was experience by many viewers. Is it because we were on a channel other than Go to Meeting? What about the paintalongs are they going to be broadcast on the usual channel or yesterday's channel?

mirizar
09-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the great responses.
Another question: I paint in water soluble oils (due to medical condition I have to avoid chemicals), so I don't use liquin or anything like that. I just use water for the first underpainting layers and then modified linseed oil for subsequent layers. Would that be ok? I don't think there's an underpainting white for water soluble oils :(

Thanks and sorry for all the questions,
Michelle

mickisew
09-22-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the great responses.
Another question: I paint in water soluble oils (due to medical condition I have to avoid chemicals), so I don't use liquin or anything like that. I just use water for the first underpainting layers and then modified linseed oil for subsequent layers. Would that be ok? I don't think there's an underpainting white for water soluble oils :(

Thanks and sorry for all the questions,
Michelle
Hi Michelle: This is the place to ask questions and any number of our group will gladly answer your questions - or Jo, of course. Any oil paint or medium can be used with wso - like linseed oil (which you use). However, if you are sensitive to chemicals, I would not use under-painting white - even though you could do so with wso. The reason is that the odor is very strong - and I do use it. You might be interested in Winsor & Newton Griffen Alkyd Mixing White which is a fast-drying oil color and does not have the strong odor. I have it in my "paint box", but I have not used it. I paint with regular oil paint, so I am sure other members who us water-soluable oil paint will also offer an opinion.

Hope you will join us in our next paint-along session.

Micki

sundiver
09-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Johannes, catlady2 asked this question via the "report post" button, but since you don't get those I've copied her question here:

This is the reason that the user gave:
Jo, have also registered & wondering if I can paint in acrylics when you do the
oils? I saw in today's demo you used acrylics first & then oils.

mickisew
09-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Michelle - One other note. Since we can download the videos within a few days, you can follow along - do your underpainting or watch - many of us do. Jo supplies us with a reference photo or photos, and a sketch or he will do the sketch at the beginning. Also, Jo will use all mediums - usually 2 in oil, 1 in water color, and 1 in pastel. All of the paintings can be accomplished in all mediums, of course.

If you have any questions at all, just ask.

Micki

mirizar
09-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks very much for the detailes response Micki!

mirizar
09-22-2013, 09:43 PM
Another question: Is there an extra fee to view and download the videos later? I'm confused by the website :(
Thanks, Michelle

Johannes Instructor
09-22-2013, 09:45 PM
Another question: Is there an extra fee to view and download the videos later? I'm confused by the website :(
Thanks, Michelle
The downloads are included in the fee.

mirizar
09-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Got it! I just signed up for the class ;) EXCITED!

Johannes Instructor
09-22-2013, 11:15 PM
Johannes, catlady2 asked this question via the "report post" button, but since you don't get those I've copied her question here:

This is the reason that the user gave:
Jo, have also registered & wondering if I can paint in acrylics when you do the
oils? I saw in today's demo you used acrylics first & then oils.
Yes of course by all means. It is not about the medium so much but it is more about the composition and techniques to make a painting work.

AlaskaDan
09-23-2013, 03:07 PM
signed up for the class...looking forward to it. How do I get a download of last Saturdays demo?

mickisew
09-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Got it! I just signed up for the class ;) EXCITED!

Michelle:

We are happy to have you with us for the paint-along starting this Saturday. One thing we did not mention is that Johannes is not a clock watcher. In fact, we usually remind him that we need a coffee break. LOL Jo always gives 1000 percent; unfortunately, he cannot hold my brush!

We also have two groups on Facebook - one is Johannes Alumni and the other is Painting Nuts. Let us know if you are interested in joining, and one of us will add you.

See you on Saturday.

Micki

TexasArt
09-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Jo,
I thought that I saw a link to connect to the recording of Sat 21, class. Now that I have time to download it, I cannot find it. Can you help? It was GOOD! as always and I want to see it again. This time I will actually paint-watch-paint-watch. I cannot do both at once; my right brain turns all other input off.
MaryEllen (aka TexasArt)

Johannes Instructor
09-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Jo,
I thought that I saw a link to connect to the recording of Sat 21, class. Now that I have time to download it, I cannot find it. Can you help? It was GOOD! as always and I want to see it again. This time I will actually paint-watch-paint-watch. I cannot do both at once; my right brain turns all other input off.
MaryEllen (aka TexasArt)
I am processing a better definition video. Just give until 9 PM EDT.

mirizar
09-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Michelle:

We are happy to have you with us for the paint-along starting this Saturday. One thing we did not mention is that Johannes is not a clock watcher. In fact, we usually remind him that we need a coffee break. LOL Jo always gives 1000 percent; unfortunately, he cannot hold my brush!

We also have two groups on Facebook - one is Johannes Alumni and the other is Painting Nuts. Let us know if you are interested in joining, and one of us will add you.

See you on Saturday.

Micki
Thanks Micki! Just sent a request to join the groups on FB.
Michelle

Wetpaint0938
09-24-2013, 12:13 AM
Signed up for the new Paintalong and got a message To complete your registration, please visit U1427 Don't know what thatis ? any one else see that?

Rosemarie
09-24-2013, 01:49 AM
This time it looked weird but click on the link to register in GotoMeeting too. It is so Johannes get you mail adress and can send you information on the class. I just went back and looked at my purchase and the link to click on was the price. I have already registered though.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Sep-2013/2623-Bild_2013-09-24_kl._07.49.50.jpg

Johannes Instructor
09-24-2013, 09:39 AM
You can now watch the high quality video of the Saturday 21 demo at this link. I added some finishing touches near the end.
https://new.livestream.com/accounts/5486320/events/2408355

painterted
09-25-2013, 08:59 AM
Great video Jo, I like the length.

ted

ToskaFromAlabama
09-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Jo, I'm looking forward (again) to the next paint along.

I was surprised to see your new DVD course:
"Oil Landscape Painting Essentials with Johannes Vloothuis" posted on
http://artistsnetwork.tv/ I have an annual subscription, so was able to view it. I would highly recommend this course. You gave a lot of valuable information about painting with oils, including the materials, different brush-strokes etc.

This is the first time I've seen your videos posted here. If I knew that, I wouldn't have purchased the water-color DVD. I assume that one will eventually get posted too. I kind of paid for it twice. On the other hand, the streaming from their site is not good. Unless you let it load an hour ahead, it keeps stopping every few words to buffer. They need better servers. After seeing the preview, can't wait to receive the watercolor DVD.

Rosemarie
09-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Toska - it might not be the artist networks servers that is the problem. The data is passing many servers before it reaches your computer and there can be a problem along the way. I have payed for one of their workshops and it is playing just fine, so far everytime I watch it.

mickisew
09-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Reference photos are up for Saturday's Paint-Along class. So excited!

Micki

painteriam
09-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Johannes,
Would you please talk more about the way you put in the rocks in the last painting? I have never seen you do rocks that abstractly before. I like the effect, but I can't seem to create the "self talk" that gives me an outcome anything like yours. Please talk us through this one more time.
I tried to watch the video and run it up to the rocks part, but it would not play. It always reverted to the beginning.

mickisew
09-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Johannes,
Would you please talk more about the way you put in the rocks in the last painting? I have never seen you do rocks that abstractly before. I like the effect, but I can't seem to create the "self talk" that gives me an outcome anything like yours. Please talk us through this one more time.
I tried to watch the video and run it up to the rocks part, but it would not play. It always reverted to the beginning.

Jo starts painting the rocks at about minute 52 in the video. I have no issues playing the video - it is running fine for me. You may want to check the trouble-shooting page http://improvemypaintings.com/troubleshooting.html. (http://improvemypaintings.com/troubleshooting.html)

Did you take the course Jo gave on Rocks?

Sorry - I don't remember everyone who takes classes with Jo. I hope the info helps.

Micki
(http://improvemypaintings.com/troubleshooting.html)

AlaskaDan
09-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Reference photos are up for Saturday's Paint-Along class. So excited!

Micki

where do you find these? I'm registered for the class

cajunRice
09-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Dan, if you received an e-mail (or three:)) from Jo on 9/23, it is there.

Ginger

Johannes Instructor
09-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Click on 'Watch Live Class at http://improvemypaintings.com, then click on the TV.

Johannes Instructor
09-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Johannes,
Try another browser like Firefox and Google Chrome.

Johannes Instructor
09-25-2013, 10:42 PM
Johannes,
You said in the question. The trick is to create abstract shapes. If you want everything I can say about rocks how about just buying the "Essentials of Painting Rocks" course under "Buy Recorded Classes at my website.

mickisew
09-26-2013, 01:05 PM

When you purchased the class, you then clicked on "to complete your registration". After completing the form, you are taken directly to the Student Access Page. This is where all information about the session is posted and you should bookmark the page.

If you did not register or you did not bookmark the student access page, refer back to your receipt for Paint-Along 7 from North Light. At the bottom of the receipt: "To complete your registration please visit ..." and there is a code. Fill out the form and you are taken to the Student Access Page. BOOKMARK THE PAGE

When you get to the Student Access Page, scroll down - you will see a drawing and two reference photos for Class 1.

I hope all this info helps.

Micki

AlaskaDan
09-26-2013, 01:25 PM
When you purchased the class, you then clicked on "to complete your registration". After completing the form, you are taken directly to the Student Access Page. This is where all information about the session is posted and you should bookmark the page.

If you did not register or you did not bookmark the student access page, refer back to your receipt for Paint-Along 7 from North Light. At the bottom of the receipt: "To complete your registration please visit ..." and there is a code. Fill out the form and you are taken to the Student Access Page. BOOKMARK THE PAGE

When you get to the Student Access Page, scroll down - you will see a drawing and two reference photos for Class 1.

I hope all this info helps.

Micki

thanks Micki...got it :thumbsup:

AlaskaDan
09-26-2013, 01:27 PM
beautiful ref photos for this weeks class, although I'll be painting in oils as I have no interest in watercolours...looking forward to some quality studio time with Jo and all you awesome artists! :)

mickisew
09-26-2013, 02:14 PM
beautiful ref photos for this weeks class, although I'll be painting in oils as I have no interest in watercolours...looking forward to some quality studio time with Jo and all you awesome artists! :)

I could use watered-down acrylic; however many of us will be using oils - including me - or pastel. I, too, really like the reference photos for this week and am preparing for class today. I like to have everything ready to go.

Don't forget, Jo will be giving a demo at noon on Saturday (Sept. 28). The link is improvemypaintings.com (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/improvemypaintings.com), click on "watch live class", then click on "watch live video. After the demo we will be going to our class link.

See you then!

Micki

mirizar
09-26-2013, 06:54 PM
I love this weeks painting choice and I paint mainly in watercolors, so I'm excited :)

mirizar
09-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Question: Is there any alternative to underpainting white in water soluble oils? I'm trying the demo painting and the blues and oranges in the background near the trees is mixing with the trees so I'm not getting dark-enough colors :(

Arantxa
09-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Hi, I am registered for your class tomorrow.

Can you tell me where I can find the photo for the painting?
Thank you
Looking forward to the class

Patricia

mickisew
09-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Hi, I am registered for your class tomorrow.

Can you tell me where I can find the photo for the painting?
Thank you
Looking forward to the class

Patricia

Please read post #62 above - the information will assist you in finding the student access page. Bookmark the page as it will remain the same through this session.

See everyone on Saturday: 12 noon EST for the demo; 1 PM EST for class.

Micki

Arantxa
09-28-2013, 06:09 AM
Thank you Micki.
I did forget to bookmark the student access page.

See you later (in a way of speaking)

Patricia

mcbru
09-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Excellent class. As always, a remarkable painting and education at the same time. Does anyone have a thought on when/if the Landscape Problem Solving course will be available for download?

Tonalist
09-28-2013, 08:38 PM
an EXCELLENT class today Jo..

woody

SweetMe
09-28-2013, 09:16 PM
:clap: Great Class Joe
Hope you post your painting soon, as a friend dropped by and I was unable to keep up. Yes, I have the student page with photos and drawing, but would still like to view your painting.
Looking forward to next week's class with you and the rest of the BIG KIDS.
Ciao

Rosemarie
09-29-2013, 02:07 AM
Great class! after 3 years with you you are still spilling more golden nuggets. I loved your explaining the changes in the drawing compaired to the photo.
I only wish you had more wc classes than oil, but that is me.:angel:

Will the Fountain free class be awaileble to watch or download again? I'd love to try my brushes andpaint on thatone too.:clap:

Jacdesusbielle
09-29-2013, 10:09 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2013/1067432-image.jpg
Thank you so much Jo for another wonderful class with a lot of explanations to improve the photo and turn it into a painting. Already 3 years with you and still struggling with the vegetation.... Still need your teaching ....
I am not sure with my perspective of the wall with the blue door. Loved to do this painting. Thank you again and see you next Saturday .
The sketch you send with a grid was most helpful.

Tonalist
09-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Jacdesusbielle... what a wonderful painting!

woody

Johannes Instructor
09-29-2013, 11:00 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2013/1067432-image.jpg
Thank you so much Jo for another wonderful class with a lot of explanations to improve the photo and turn it into a painting. Already 3 years with you and still struggling with the vegetation.... Still need your teaching ....
I am not sure with my perspective of the wall with the blue door. Loved to do this painting. Thank you again and see you next Saturday .
The sketch you send with a grid was most helpful.
Looks nice to me. The perspective is correct. What is throwing you off is the roof slant above. One way to check perspective with doors and windows is that the top of them practically is a straight line if the viewer is standing.

Johannes Instructor
09-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Question: Is there any alternative to underpainting white in water soluble oils? I'm trying the demo painting and the blues and oranges in the background near the trees is mixing with the trees so I'm not getting dark-enough colors :(
You can add alkyd.

mickisew
09-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Another great class, Johannes. You take time to ensure that we are understanding what you are doing and why - that is what makes you such an excellent instructor. No matter how many classes I take, I for one need the reminders - hearing and seeing help with the doing.

Thank you for all your sharing.

Micki

Jacdesusbielle
09-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Thank you woody !

Jacdesusbielle
09-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Thank you Jo for this quick reply. I'll remember how to check perspective with doors and windows.

Johannes Instructor
09-29-2013, 01:14 PM
Another great class, Johannes. You take time to ensure that we are understanding what you are doing and why - that is what makes you such an excellent instructor. No matter how many classes I take, I for one need the reminders - hearing and seeing help with the doing.

Thank you for all your sharing.

Micki
yes there are so many pointers that need to be reinforced to avoid falling into past habits and preconceived ideas.

desthers
09-29-2013, 01:21 PM
Johannes, really get a lot from your instruction methods. This is as far as I got in class. Interactive Acrylic blockin on gessoed watercolor paper. I see that I need to adjust the stairwell area. I will seal this so I can work on foliage and be able to wipe off what is not going well. Will do that when I can watch the video for more detail. Looking forward to next week's class. Diane in Mountain High Utahhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2013/185636-Paintalong_09.28.13-CarmelMission_002-Small.jpg

Catlady2
09-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Sundiver, thanks for posting my question about acrylics, new to the thread & learning!!
Catlady2:cat:

Jacdesusbielle
09-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Thank you Jo for this quick reply. I'll remember how to check perspective with doors and windows.

LadyMadonna
09-29-2013, 04:12 PM
I always have a difficult time with buildings and rocks and that is why I keep on trying. I used pastel because I am not a good watercolorist either.
I feel also it is overworked.

mirizar
09-29-2013, 11:45 PM
This is where I'm at with the mission, about half-way there. Darks are not as dark in real life.
Will the short demo on the fountain scene be available at some point? I'd like to try that one too or at least look at the final painting since I had to leave early :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Sep-2013/31994-mission_wip_wc.jpg

LynnM
09-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Watercolour, Arches 140, limited palette of transparent yellow, raw sienna, FUB, perm. alizarin, burnt sienna and small amt. med red. I got this far and had to stop, brain dead :) This is the stage it is at, hoping to get it done by Friday. I have to fix some things of course, but I am enjoying this, thanks, Johannes!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2013/97813-My_painting_2_Medium_Web_view.jpg

mirizar
09-30-2013, 02:32 PM
Here is my version of the mission - mixed media too (watercolor + pastel) on 15x11 inch sheet of Fabriano Artistico
I ended up scrubbing the tower a bit to make it lighter and wish I had made it even lighter from the beginning.
I also had some trouble lifting the tree trunks on the left so I enhanced them with white colored pencil
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2013/31994-mission_mixed.jpg

Rosemarie
09-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Wow, Michelle! It is lovely. I hope you will frame it and put it on MY wall!!!

Vickyrose
09-30-2013, 02:57 PM
Wonderful class.

I was not prepared for watercolor. Used acrylic on canvas instead. I had to stop a few minutes after 5pm (both husband and dog were starving and making me feel guilty) so this is as far as I got.

How do I locate the details of the next class?

Rosemarie
09-30-2013, 03:03 PM
Vicky - Johannes will update the Student Access page in a few days. You will hve ample time to do the predrawings.

mirizar
09-30-2013, 05:12 PM
Wow, Michelle! It is lovely. I hope you will frame it and put it on MY wall!!!
Thanks very much Rosemarie :)

Vickyrose
09-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Vicky - Johannes will update the Student Access page in a few days. You will hve ample time to do the predrawings.

Thank you, Rosemarie

painterted
09-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Great class Joe, not often I paint a picture with so many flowers. But it's fun doing. I can see a weeee bit of mud starting in a few places.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2013/909312-P1010013.jpg

mirizar
09-30-2013, 06:17 PM
painterted, that is an awesome painting! That bit of orange in the bell is perfect as it pulls your eye there. Love it!

Johannes Instructor
10-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Finished Painting Class 1 Sep 28
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Oct-2013/135220-Carmel_Mission.jpg

ToskaFromAlabama
10-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Jo,

I like the finished work, very much. I see you lightened back the little building in the corner. Too bad you listened to bad advice. I preferred the contrast between the light and shadow to show the bright sunlight that IS the Southwest, before it was changed. TC

ToskaFromAlabama
10-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Great class Joe, not often I paint a picture with so many flowers. But it's fun doing. I can see a weeee bit of mud starting in a few places.

ted

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2013/909312-P1010013.jpg

Ted, I really like how you changed the little buildings in the corner. Very well done, and great idea. TC

cmedford
10-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Last week was a great class. I paint oil (not watercolor) but I still learned from this session. Jo is so generous with his time. I think it really takes bravery to paint in front of so many people. And, of course, everyone is a critic. Ask 200 people and you get 200 answers. It is good to see how to make corrections, and nice that Jo shows us that.

mirizar
10-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Woah! Yours has a softness that mine is lacking! Love it!

Johannes Instructor
10-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Just noticed the arch on the right side was too strong

Dorothy O
10-01-2013, 01:55 PM
painterted - nice interpretation of the photo. Lovely soft colors as well

mirizar
10-01-2013, 09:53 PM
I have a request and I hope it's not too late for that. Can one of the scenes be a swamp/wetland? I'm in Florida so those kinds of scenes appeal to me :)

Johannes Instructor
10-01-2013, 10:32 PM
I have a request and I hope it's not too late for that. Can one of the scenes be a swamp/wetland? I'm in Florida so those kinds of scenes appeal to me :)
You have reference photos?

Johannes Instructor
10-01-2013, 10:37 PM
My laptop is showing me the darks are too strong so I am adding this one as a variance.

mirizar
10-01-2013, 10:51 PM
You have reference photos?
I think I do...somewhere...will have to look!

Rosemarie
10-02-2013, 12:31 AM
My laptop is showing me the darks are too strong so I am adding this one as a variance.
Sorry but I can't see the difference. All three image version posted have the same name. That is probably why they look the same.

Pinklady219
10-02-2013, 04:01 AM
During class, I painted in acrylics (didn't realize we were going to do wc), and I did not finish. When the replay came out, I did it all over in wc. So here is the wc. When I finish the other one, I'll compare but so far I'm liking the wc. This may look overworked.

ToskaFromAlabama
10-02-2013, 08:35 AM

I agree with adding pastel over watercolor to improve the painting. It covers and softens the hard/dry edges, creates dimension etc. Except for competitions prohibiting it, I think the goal is to create the best painting the author intended.

Your paintings always represent your best. However, I love/hate it when: you sacrifice a perfect painting in order to teach us! This one is perfect and beautiful. :angel:

ecobb
10-02-2013, 11:33 AM
This is my first attempt at painting with gouache on water color paper 11x14. I wasnít going to post it here but am planning to paint another using watercolor. But, as dumb luck would have it I posted it on one of my websites and it sold this morning. A lady from Carmel bought it. Who would have thought? Needless to say Iím excited. Thanks Jo.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2013/91975-Carmel_Mission_001b.jpg

Linda Reyes1959
10-02-2013, 11:43 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Oct-2013/978726-003.JPG 12x18 Pastel.

nougat
10-03-2013, 12:02 AM
HI JO
thanks for the download link...am i the only one? the password isn't working!!

Rosemarie
10-03-2013, 12:55 AM
It worked fine for me, nougat. Make sure you don't have Caps on or have added a space, etc.. You can copy and paste the password. I hope it will work for you now.

nougat
10-03-2013, 10:01 AM
still does not work in chrome - but i tried firefox and it's downloading just fine :)

Rosemarie
10-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I am glad that you manage downloading!!
Never liked Chrome. I use Safari and Firefox.

mariann1234
10-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Joe, I am glad you are painting buildings. I am finding them difficult and need all the help I can get.

upthebloodytree
10-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Here's my attempt at the paintalong. I've changed the building from the mission house to a stable court. Oil on MDF board 12 x 10.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Oct-2013/226446-STABLECOURT1-S.jpg

chickadeedee
10-05-2013, 11:13 AM
I will use a Verizon air card hooked up to a system that lets me broadcast and stream video. I figured why not travel around the West and do plein air painting and use this as a workshop. The viewers will see me discuss the plein air scene and strategies to overcome the typical traps. It will be like a reality show. I already have a way not be interrupted if it rains. Cool huh?

This is so great. You are so ahead of the game and you keep giving us more and more of what we love.

chickadeedee
10-05-2013, 11:17 AM
OK... Just signed up for number 7.

I went to Improve my paintings.. from there to North Light.. purchased
it.. filled out the GotoMeeting form..
BUT..

when it usually sends me to the student Access page, it sent me
to JO'S Home page.. ImproveMyPaintings.

Is that what happened for the rest of you? Has Jo not set up the Access page yet?
OR.. Is something wrong that I have to fix?

Thanks for any help

woody

I have found that you can rename the page to keep it separate on your computer and when you are in it you can still go to Jo's home page and other pages on the site.

colortone3
10-05-2013, 02:04 PM
I signed up for Paint-along #7 and missed the 1st class so today (Oct.5) I was looking forward to painting along with the demo. I have not been able to log on. I did not get the proper e-mail using the password. I got a livestreaming notice that I must access thru facebook or signup with Livestreaming so I tried opening an account and I got a run around with 3 e-mails being the same with notification on completing the process but it never led me to completing it at all. Either my system is messed up or I never got the right e-mail in the first place to watch today's video. HELP!

Rosemarie
10-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Did you create an account on Livestreamm? You need it to log in. Then click on the link in the mail from Johannes today. Also bookmark that page. There is still time to see him painting.

colortone3
10-05-2013, 06:29 PM
I am ok now. It was my computer acting up. It was really slow and I kept getting error messages while I was trying to open an account in Livestream. I didn't get to paint-along but at least I got to watch part of it. Thank you.

nougat
10-05-2013, 11:50 PM
i had to miss most of the class too :(
problem with the local internet provider ugh :( ended with losing www completely.

sherrysherman
10-05-2013, 11:54 PM
I completely missed the first session so I had to laugh when i saw the homework submissions.

Here is a painting I did in August (2 months ago):
(pastels, 12x16)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2013/616112-MIssion_-_Preview-rev800.jpg

cmedford
10-06-2013, 02:17 AM
So disappointed that I had to miss the second lesson today. We had family here celebrating my husband's birthday. I hope a lot of students showed up. Am looking forward to getting the downloads and working on my painting. From the reference photos, I know this had to turn out to be a great painting lesson today.

Rosemarie
10-06-2013, 02:57 AM
For a short while you can go to the livestream page and watch the video there. It is up there.

Jacdesusbielle
10-06-2013, 10:25 AM
I completely missed the first session so I had to laugh when i saw the homework submissions.

(pastels, 12x16)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Oct-2013/616112-MIssion_-_Preview-rev800.jpg
Love your style Sherri. Excellent painting in my opinion.

Jacdesusbielle
10-06-2013, 10:48 AM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2013/1067432-image.jpg
I'll never thank you enough Jo. What a marvellous class ! And I am learning so much ! All your explanations are useful and precious.
Not sure I did well but I enjoyed painting along with you and just finished it today. First time I do a sky with such colours ..... It was fun. I had no room on my paper to do it bigger....
Thank you again. Looking forward to next saturday
Pastel on colourfix
Jacqueline

mickisew
10-06-2013, 11:34 AM
[quote=sherrysherman]I completely missed the first session so I had to laugh when i saw the homework submissions.

(pastels, 12x16)

Your painting is just lovely - such attention to detail. I like your interpretation / composition. In my opinion, your painting is very well done! I envy your handling of pastels. Hugs Micki

mirizar
10-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Sherry, your painting is exquisite!

mickisew
10-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Johannes - I really enjoyed yesterday's class. After all this time, I learn something new with each class. Maybe I was paying more attention? LOL I look forward to the download and will attempt the sky-scape. Micki

brandy3134
10-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Beautiful painting.

sherrysherman
10-06-2013, 02:02 PM
[quote=sherrysherman]I completely missed the first session so I had to laugh when i saw the homework submissions.

(pastels, 12x16)

Your painting is just lovely - such attention to detail. I like your interpretation / composition. In my opinion, your painting is very well done! I envy your handling of pastels. Hugs Micki

Thanks, Micki (and others).

It just goes to show - as Jo said, there are lots of possible compositions for each scene! Had I seen his paintalong first, would I have done this vertical composition? I don't know. I might have thought his view was the "best" or "right" one. (plus, I took that fountain from another photo - using Jo's frankenphoto technique)

brandy3134
10-06-2013, 02:16 PM
I think the fountain really adds a lot of interest to the painting. Lovely.

brandy3134
10-06-2013, 02:19 PM
I did the paint along last week in pastels also. I am pretty new to painting, a couple of years, I am loving this class.
I am weak on technique; but enjoying the experience immensely.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2013/973568-Copy_of_DSCF3147__BLOG.JPG

LynnM
10-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Here's my version, watercolour, 12x9.5 inches, much scrubbed but learned a lot, thanks Jo! Main house is slightly more green in colour. I think I need to edit the mouse ears in the sky! Funny how you don't see things until they are online.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2013/97813-Peggys_Cove_houses_and_sunset.jpg

Johannes Instructor
10-06-2013, 08:54 PM
For a short while you can go to the livestream page and watch the video there. It is up there.
I would wait for my recording. The values and colors are much better as well as the quality. I will submit them Monday.

AlaskaDan
10-06-2013, 08:57 PM
finally found time to finish this one..I have trouble with sunset paintings...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2013/168427-Sunset_At_The_Lake.jpg finally found time to finish this one..I have trouble with sunset paintings...

Johannes Instructor
10-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Finished Painting Class 2 Oct 5
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Oct-2013/135220-Sunset_in_Peggys_Cove.jpg

Vickyrose
10-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Johannes,

I learned so much from last Sat. class. Your painting is beautiful. Am looking forward to the next one.

Here is what I managed to do in the four hours. I used waterhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2013/531781-P1000133_800x649.jpg soluble oils on smooth Ampersand hardboard, 10 X 12. (I won't use this again as the board's surface did not want to grab the paint). I want to try again using canvas.

Johannes Instructor
10-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Reference photos and drawing grid for Oct 12 are up.

Johannes Instructor
10-07-2013, 03:24 PM
I just got news from Northlight. The book has been approved. Lots of work coming up!

HazelP
10-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I just got news from Northlight. The book has been approved. Lots of work coming up!

Congratulations Johannes. Can't wait to buy this book!!!:clap:

brandy3134
10-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Congratulations!

ToskaFromAlabama
10-07-2013, 04:36 PM
CONGRATS! Had no doubts. You and they will make a lot of $$
Toska

mickisew
10-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Reference photos and drawing grid for Oct 12 are up.

I like the seascape! It is still in the 80's here - will help me cool off - plus A/C, of course! LOL

Micki

mickisew
10-07-2013, 04:56 PM

What great news, Johannes! How wonderful to be recognized as a Master Artist, an excellent instructor, and soon a widely-read author. Your book is sure to be a great success!

Micki

ecobb
10-07-2013, 05:23 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2013/91975-Peggys_Landing_002a.JPG

I'll be looking for an autographed copy of your new book. Congrats, Looking forward to it.

Borntobeanartist
10-07-2013, 07:40 PM
The class was great! But I had trouble with the sky getting muddy. So I wiped it all out and redid it. Not real happy with the sky.
Love taking your classes, so much to learn!

Johannes Instructor
10-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Less saturated photo

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Oct-2013/135220-9534fa85-a446-449a-bc43-25e6905f5bd0_640x776.jpg

KatyaFox
10-08-2013, 02:27 AM
This is Peggy's Cove from class of 10/5. This is very overworked but I learned a lot! I didn't have a canvas because I'm on a job assignment 50 miles from art supply and 1200 miles from home...so I used oils on Strathmore 140 lb paper. Challenge! I loved the learning around the space for the sky...which I didn't have! Feedback welcome.

Kathy Weinberg

Jacdesusbielle
10-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Congratulations Jo ! I am so happy for you. Can't wait to buy your book. Tell us when it will be on sale.

kblundell
10-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Hello, does anyone know of any good watercolor instruction books or DVDs on how to prepare your palette, how much water to use on your brushes, etc? I'm new to watercolor and know very little about it.

Johannes Instructor
10-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Hello, does anyone know of any good watercolor instruction books or DVDs on how to prepare your palette, how much water to use on your brushes, etc? I'm new to watercolor and know very little about it.
Northlight has just released a video for watercolor that teaches the essentials.
http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918049599004703&atid=Essentials+Watercolor&lcpt=0&lcpf=0&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/watercolor-landscape-painting-essentials-with-johannes-vloothuis-u8396
Also you may want to consider taking our live online art classes like hundreds of other artists are doing
More info:
http://improvemypaintings.com

kblundell
10-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Northlight has just released a video for watercolor that teaches the essentials.
http://www.linkconnector.com/traffic_affiliate.php?lc=054918049599004703&atid=Essentials+Watercolor&lcpt=0&lcpf=0&url=http://www.northlightshop.com/watercolor-landscape-painting-essentials-with-johannes-vloothuis-u8396
Also you may want to consider taking our live online art classes like hundreds of other artists are doing
More info:
http://improvemypaintings.com

Oh awesome, thanks! I'm currently in your Paint Along 7 class, and I am really enjoying it. I have learned a lot so far! I wish I would have known about your classes a long time ago. I'm working on the painting from this past Saturday and hope to have it posted by Friday.

Dorothy O
10-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Quick study in acrylic on acrylic paper, about 11x17.

mirizar
10-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Work-in-progress. Still at about 3:30 in the video.
C/C welcome at this stage.
The rocks are not as light in real life.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Oct-2013/31994-peggys_cove_step2.jpg

mirizar
10-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Lovely sky Dorothy! WOW!

Dorothy O
10-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Thank you Mirizar! Much appreciated.

Johannes Instructor
10-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Quick study in acrylic on acrylic paper, about 11x17.
Dorothy glaze that sky with permanent rose to get more into a pinkish mood. It will be softer on the eyes.

Dorothy O
10-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Thank you, Jo.

mirizar
10-10-2013, 02:13 PM
So this is where I'm at today. Still about 40 mins to go on the video.
I'm having trouble reconciling the light blue (open sky) area in the sky with the rest of the sky. Any tips?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2013/31994-peggys_cove_step3.jpg

Holly B.
10-10-2013, 08:02 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Oct-2013/217673-020.JPG

:wave:

cmedford
10-10-2013, 11:21 PM
This is a gorgeous painting. Sorry I had to miss class (family was here). I can't wait to paint it. And congrats to Jo on the new book as well. Can't wait until it's published ! Wish there was a way to get an autographed copy !
:clap:

kblundell
10-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Here is my second time to do a landscape. I only have Quinacridone Red, so it has a lot brighter coloring.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2013/1376126-Untitled.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2013/1376126-untitled_2.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2013/1376126-untitled_3.jpg

Johannes Instructor
10-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Here is a more accurate version:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2013/135220-Sunset_in_Peggys_Cove.jpg

Tonalist
10-11-2013, 01:03 PM
Jo..
A few weeks back, someone asked for some red mountains from Arizona..
I also would enjoy this.. Is it possible to have this on the last class, a week from now?

woody

mickisew
10-11-2013, 01:32 PM
Hi Woody: Last we painted a scene from Sedona was May 27, 2012. The mountains were quite distant not showing the truly beautiful colors. I am sure Johannes must have more reference photos - maybe a more close-up view.

We also have only painted one night scene - September 1, 2012. This subject could be another possibility for Class 4.

Johannes will be busy with the Kentucky workshops through October. I so hope we can do another Paint Along - or two :-) - before the end of the year. I should request one more Paint Along as Jo is writing a book - however, we are SO spoiled.

Hugs, Micki

Tonalist
10-11-2013, 01:53 PM
however, we are SO spoiled.

We are.. aren't we.. LOL! :thumbsup:

woody

mickisew
10-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Johannes: I really like the new reference for tomorrow. The addition of the lighthouse to the composition adds just the right touch.

Micki

Johannes Instructor
10-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Jo..
A few weeks back, someone asked for some red mountains from Arizona..
I also would enjoy this.. Is it possible to have this on the last class, a week from now?

woody
I believe I can accommodate this request.

Tonalist
10-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Thanks Jo.. Looking forward to it.

woody

mirizar
10-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Here's my last step.
Just seeing it here I can notice how my horizon line doesn't seem straight.
I'd like some comments especially from Jo :wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2013/31994-peggys_cove_step4.jpg

upthebloodytree
10-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Not finished yet but here's progress so far. This is Carew Tidal Mill in West Wales UK. inspired by Jo's sky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2013/226446-TIDALMILLFRIDAY1.jpg

desthers
10-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Interactive Acrylics 15x12.5. Still need to work on foreground and rocks.
There are some lovely paintings here. Diane
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2013/185636-10.11.13-PeggsCoce12.5x15.jpg

Jacdesusbielle
10-12-2013, 04:06 AM
Not finished yet but here's progress so far. This is Carew Tidal Mill in West Wales UK. inspired by Jo's sky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Oct-2013/226446-TIDALMILLFRIDAY1.jpg
Wow ! Spooky atmosphere Ray ! Love the way you choose a similar pic to put your own view of a painting. Your sky is beautiful and you can feel the night coming soon. Nice job

lildip
10-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Trt the new dvd on watercolor out by Johannes at Northlight. It is
great. Also, Jo, i'm so happy about your upcoming book. I can hardly wait! I've been asking for this for almost 3 years!:clap: Lildip

marionh
10-12-2013, 10:59 AM
Here's my effort so far. Still needs a lot of work on rocks and water and the house needs finishing touches. Decided to do away with the shed. I didn't like that at all and felt it made the foreground too busy and blocked the view.:lol:
40x50 cm, 16"x20"
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Oct-2013/42113-Sunset-web.jpg

Stargate0908
10-12-2013, 11:28 AM

I live in Arizona and have tons of reference photos, be happy to share.
Helga:wave:

Pinklady219
10-12-2013, 05:06 PM
I do not have pastels, so I did this in watercolor today. Thanks Johannes.

Johannes Instructor
10-13-2013, 11:31 AM
The photo of the finished painting is posted in the student room.

LadyMadonna
10-13-2013, 02:10 PM
This is my work from yesterday. I had to finally stop myself ( like Jo ! ) ..I felt I was overworking the painting and lost sight of the lighthouse and it became more about the waves.
Pan Pastels and sticks at the end . ( Wallis paper 9 by 12 ).

cmedford
10-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Madonna, I really like the color in yours.

tedzart
10-13-2013, 07:37 PM
Hello Everyone:
I painted in Oils. I appreciate your comments. Glad to be back to the classes. The recordings are the greatest, now I will not miss anything even if I have other commitments.
Johannes, thank you for your dedication in creating these wonderful classes.
Teddy
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Oct-2013/180589-Coastal_Sunset.jpg

Jacdesusbielle
10-14-2013, 01:19 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Oct-2013/1067432-image.jpg
I had a hard time with the waves and I can already see that the lines are too straight. I am not that clever with pan pastel I am afraid ....
But I liked the scenery and will do it again as a practice.
Thank you Jo. To see you working with pan pastel is fascinating. Learned a lot again. See you next Saturday.

Borntobeanartist
10-15-2013, 04:58 PM
The class was great! But I had trouble with the sky getting muddy. So I wiped it all out and redid it. Not real happy with the sky.
Love taking your classes, so much to learn!

Can I add red to tone down the yellow???

Borntobeanartist
10-15-2013, 05:02 PM
I posted the home work in the wrong spot! Getting old I guess:lol: !

I enjoy your classes Johannes! So happy that your book was a success with Northlight!

I did this with the colors I had which were not the same as you have in Pan Pastels. I need to invest in some more of them. They are a great medium to use and so happy you share your knowledge with us.

ToskaFromAlabama
10-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Can I add red to tone down the yellow???

To tone down a color, you would use the opposite color on the "color wheel". The opposite of yellow would be purple. Adding red would make orange.

pamshowcase
10-16-2013, 12:12 PM
we'll here goes. I did WS oil on 9x12 Masonite. Had troubles with wave also mist. Maybe when it dries I can scumble?http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2013/174457-image.jpg

kblundell
10-16-2013, 09:01 PM
Well, here is my go at it. It looks blurry in this picture though. I did it in oils on 16 x 20 canvas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2013/1376126-Roaring_Shores.jpg

canewbanks
10-18-2013, 11:41 AM
I cannot download the pastel/last painting session with the link that they sent me :( I was able to download the first two, but not the pastel one waaaa. I wasn't there for the class because I was showing my art at an outdoor market. I tried the password given to us and I even used my artistsnetwork password too and that didn't work. All I get when I go to the site from improve my paintings website are the reference photos. Help?

Cheryl Newbanks

ADDENDUM: Nevermind it worked when I switched from Chrome to Explorer. Weird.

mirizar
10-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Here is my final so far. It is a little less saturated in real life.
Size 18x24 inches on cradled panel.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2013/31994-seascape_oils_step5.jpg

Kathy Prez
10-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Jo, I hope I get the right insert this time.
Here is my version of the Seascape in OIL on 16 x 20 CLAYBOARD as that is all I had in house. I am looking forward to your critique.
The 2nd picture is the first class that was lost on another thread and never reviewed. You may not have time for it this week and I do understand.

Thank you,
Kathy "Kate" Przepadlo
Punta Gorda, FL

Sheri Hammond
10-18-2013, 08:26 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Oct-2013/678462-DSC07974.jpg

SalzburgBJ
10-18-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm two weeks behind in "painting along", but am greatly enjoying the learning experience, as always.

I WISH my photo looked more like the actual painting, e.g. the light reflecting off the brush strokes on the hillside hides the actual colors there & the colors in the foreground water are variegated, not flat turquoise, but this photo pretty much captures the SKY I painted, so that makes this the best photo I have.

Looking forward to today's class
-- the last one of this series :-( --
and to working on the other paintings ASAP.
Thanks as always for sharing your truly Golden Nuggets, Jo.

Beth in Salzburg Austria

LynnM
10-19-2013, 09:37 AM
Finally, here's mine. 12x16 on white Colorfix. This was a real challenge, thanks for the opportunity, Jo!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2013/97813-Seascape_2_large.jpg

tedzart
10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
This is a rework of my Coastal Sunset painting. I added more greens to the waves as I thought they were too dark and too blue. Now, I wonder if the glassy look in the foreground is attracting too much attention.
This is an oil on 18x24 canvas. I usually work on smaller supports, so I am challenging myself to work larger.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2013/180589-Coast_Sunset_2.jpg

Rosemarie
10-19-2013, 10:49 AM
This is as far as I have managed to paint the seascape. I am taking my time with the water as I find it very difficult. The photo could have been better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2013/2623-DSCN2632korr.jpg

Borntobeanartist
10-19-2013, 11:11 AM
To tone down a color, you would use the opposite color on the "color wheel". The opposite of yellow would be purple. Adding red would make orange.

Of course, duh, red and yellow make orange! What was I thinking! Thanks for keeping me straight!

tedzart
10-19-2013, 11:14 AM
I got a late start on the second class. This is painted in oils on an 11x14, so the composition really has a different feel. I decided to keep the building darker and just realized the the sunset in too near the vertical middle. Darn it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2013/180589-PeggysCoveatSunset.jpg
Kind of fun to view this in black and white.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Oct-2013/180589-PeggysCoveatSunsetbw.jpg

Stargate0908
10-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Finally completed Peggy's Cove. Since I only paint in oil I have to work on the last one on the 12th.:angel:

Helga

mickisew
10-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Thank you for another great paint-along session. God speed during your trip to Kentucky. I know all will benefit from your excellent instruction. See you on November 30 - thank you for including one more paint-along for 2013 in your schedule - much appreciated.

Micki

KatyaFox
10-20-2013, 10:28 AM
I tried this once before but I don't believe it posted so will try again. This has been a great series and so helpful! My paintings are overworked and I'm a beginner but improving. Peggy's Cove, oil on 140# Strathmore paper - I'm traveling and 50 miles from canvas!

Jacdesusbielle
10-21-2013, 03:07 AM
Could not be there Saturday for the class and missed doing the paint along with you. Sniff ! sniff ! Will wait for the download when you come back. Have a good trip to Kentucky. Thank you for the wonderful news of another paint along before the end of the year. That's a treat !

Rosemarie
10-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Could not be there Saturday for the class and missed doing the paint along with you. Sniff ! sniff ! Will wait for the download when you come back. Have a good trip to Kentucky. Thank you for the wonderful news of another paint along before the end of the year. That's a treat !

Jac - you can go the the Livestream site where we see the live demo and watch the video. It will be up there untill Joe gets back and can send the high definiton video for download.

The top one video is just hte last 30 minutes with qritique of the homework. The underneath is the main paintalong video.

KatyaFox
10-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Submitting this weeks homework. I'm calling mine "Journey Into Canyons". This was a great class and I'm feeling braver about landscape. Comments are invited!

KatyaFox
10-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Very nice!

mirizar
10-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Oh no! When I try to watch Jo's livestream session (last one of the red mountain) I get an error message:
"Instructor hasn't created any events. Follow Instructor to be notified when they create a new event."
Anyone else?

ToskaFromAlabama
10-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Oh no! When I try to watch Jo's livestream session (last one of the red mountain) I get an error message:
"Instructor hasn't created any events. Follow Instructor to be notified when they create a new event."
Anyone else?

Wow! I don't know. All the videos were available two days ago. I watched most of the red mountain one. I didn't even have to log on. It showed me still logged in. Jo said he would leave them up too.

Toska

mirizar
10-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Wow! I don't know. All the videos were available two days ago. I watched most of the red mountain one. I didn't even have to log on. It showed me still logged in. Jo said he would leave them up too.

Toska
Did you try it now? It worked fine until yesterday but not today :(:eek:

LynnM
10-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I can't find it either, went into Livestream and searched for Johannes, brings up a page with an image of the free demo (no link active), no other links there.

ToskaFromAlabama
10-23-2013, 12:56 PM
You know what else? I went to Jo's October 9th email with the link and password to download Class two. When I enter the password, nothing happens!

I guess you can send him an email. He may be able to do something from KY.

ToskaFromAlabama
10-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Did you try it now? It worked fine until yesterday but not today :(:eek:

Yes, I tried it and none of the videos are available anymore.

LynnM
10-23-2013, 12:58 PM
That's interesting, Toska, I did find those links by going through his email from last Saturday, so they are still available. But I didn't need to put in the password....go figure.

ToskaFromAlabama
10-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Lynn, There is nothing to download on that page. Was there something when you tried it? (For class 2)

LynnM
10-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Yes, it's there, but go through his email from Oct. 19 to the student page, and then click on 'Watch previously recorded classes' and that gets to the page with all the recordings. Oct. 5 is there. I have a feeling there are some webpages/links he needs to delete.

ToskaFromAlabama
10-23-2013, 02:10 PM
OK, I see those going through that email. tks.

Rosemarie
10-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Oh no, I wanted to look at the video tomorrow. I wonder what has happened. The page doesn't look correct either. He promised it would be up all week!!!!

Jacdesusbielle
10-24-2013, 12:56 AM
Thank you Rosemarie. I can see you had the same problem. I was never able to see the streaming .... Only the home work review .... We will have to wait for the download ....

johnnyg256
10-25-2013, 03:42 PM
hey folks...sorry to jump in on this thread but I'm afraid my skills on here leave something to be desired..and I'm weak and tired from looking and looking and chasing the links to nowheresville....hahaha... .I have been watching and doing some of the paintalongs and Jo talks about homework and posting our paintings....but I don't know where or how to do that...I have been here a few times hoping to post or look at others paintings but never quite get where I need to be. Can anyone help me out. A place to post my painting, and a place to see others work? Maybe a page with a listing of all the links I want?? At this point, I'm not even sure if this note gets to anyone : )
thanks. Johnny

johnnyg256
10-25-2013, 03:43 PM
anyone

mickisew
10-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Johnny - This is the thread to post an image of your painting for Paint Along 7. The instructions on how to upload an image are on the main page - has a blue question mark. For easy reference:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=886612

Micki

mickisew
10-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Wet Canvas links are also listed on Johannes' site:

http://improvemypaintings.com/wet%20canvas%20links.html

johnnyg256
10-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Hey folks, first time posting so I don't know if I'm doing this right...I didn't see a "post" only a "reply"...so I'm replying...with my attachment.
Here's my oil from last weeks lesson. Johnny

johnnyg256
10-25-2013, 06:36 PM
thanks Micki. I guess I had the right page but there wasn't any pictures I could see...so I appreciate it and looks like I got a posting up...Not sure why it ended up so large though...compared to others.
Johnny

LADickerman
10-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Beautiful painting johnnyg. Sorry I missed that class. I checked to see if the video's are available yet and they are not. Hopefully soon.

johnnyg256
10-26-2013, 02:28 PM
thanks.... I thought Jo said the video would remain up at Ustream for playing at least until the downloads are finished...but I didn't check...I have a tough time getting on ustream for some reason (s)

Rosemarie
10-26-2013, 03:37 PM
thanks.... I thought Jo said the video would remain up at Ustream for playing at least until the downloads are finished...but I didn't check...I have a tough time getting on ustream for some reason (s)

It is Livestream we use . Not using Ustream anymore

KatyaFox
10-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Great sky!

mickisew
10-27-2013, 12:01 PM
As for the video for our class October 19, Livestream probably took it down as the event was over.

Johannes will be returning from Kentucky tonight or tomorrow; the video for this class should be available the first part of the week.

Also, per email from Jo, I am excited to inform you that I will squeeze one more paint along in for this year from November 30 to December14. I will email you when the registration link is up.

We are so fortunate to have Jo as an instructor.

Micki

Rosemarie
10-27-2013, 12:23 PM
Are you sure, Micki? The free demo is still available. At least it was some days ago.

I also happy about the next Paint Along!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Slowly my painter brain is absorbing all the golden nuggets Joe is spilling around!

KatyaFox
10-28-2013, 07:06 AM
:clap: Nice work! Good rocks!

KatyaFox
10-28-2013, 07:11 AM
JohnnyG - nice work! Good rocks. May try burnt sienna to intensify red rock highlights.

johnnyg256
10-28-2013, 11:29 AM
thanks for the comments and suggestions. I used pretty dry paint and a smallish brush...and I get in the zone forgetting the rules I should be following about light highlight midtone etc.. I think I might thin the paints just a little and do this one over. Does anyone have a good suggestion of how to photograph your paintings indoors. I had a wall at me last house, that worked well for photographing paintings, but this house has light coming in every direction and its very hard to get a good true to life photo. I'm still not happy with this photo, lots of glare on the top... I thought I was good at the photography end but can't seem to get it right nowadays. Maybe its the digital world ; )

Rosemarie
10-28-2013, 12:13 PM
johnny - here are some links. If they are not enough do a search on internet.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/2810/87/
http://www.azpaa.com/downloads/Photographing_Art%20.pdf

KatyaFox
10-28-2013, 12:14 PM
I use an IPhone in indirect light, no flash, no incandescent. I've also heard on the ground in the shade can work well with digital!

johnnyg256
10-28-2013, 01:47 PM
thanks Katyafox and Rosemarie...I forgot about the shade outdoors..thats nice even light...that does work too! And the link/pdf were very helpful also. I will try the shade when the wind calms down...storm came in last night and its still trying to be winter out there.

Rosemarie
10-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Shade outside is fine when there are clouds. If it is a sunny day you get a blue cast from the sky

Johannes Instructor
10-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Here is the finished painting of class 4. I am uploading the recordings. You should have them the latest tomorrow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2013/135220-Promo_Paint_Along_8.jpg

Sheri Hammond
10-29-2013, 07:38 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2013/678462-W_Sheri_photo.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2013/678462-W_Sheri.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Oct-2013/678462-W_Sheri_BW.jpg

Sheri Hammond
10-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Sorry I didn't know when to put the text in my reply. I do now. I want to thank you Johannes for your caring and generous sharing. I have been with you since before Northlight,and so look forward to all your online lessons. Because of your clear clever teaching style I now uderstand composition (which was a mystery before) I am finally starting to paint again thanks to you. I need a lot of practice however!! The painting I did was pastel of the Salt river in Arizona. I think the rock formations are probably cloned, but are so distinct to the area I thought I would try to get away with it. I bought the complete set of Pan Pastels and love them. Watyercolor has been my medium in the past. I am going to use pastels to plan out paintings (eraseable) and then attempt them in watercolor. thanks again your lessons a lot of fun.

ToskaFromAlabama
10-30-2013, 08:21 AM
[QUOTE=Johannes Instructor]Here is the finished painting of class 4. I am uploading the recordings. You should have them the latest tomorrow.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Oct-2013/1146577-Promo-Paint-Along-8.jpg

Welcome back! Are you still planning a webinar tomorrow? And another paint along Saturday? Time flies.

Tonalist
10-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Hey.. Toska.

Jo did say Artist Network wanted him to do a webinar on Oct.31 at 1:00 (EST).
But so far I haven't recieved an email from Northlight saying anything about it.
Jo also mentioned it would be more of a lecture type thing showing differences between paintings and photographs.

I thought the next Paint along was not until Nov. 30th?

woody

Johannes Instructor
10-30-2013, 07:16 PM
Hey.. Toska.

Jo did say Artist Network wanted him to do a webinar on Oct.31 at 1:00 (EST).
But so far I haven't recieved an email from Northlight saying anything about it.
Jo also mentioned it would be more of a lecture type thing showing differences between paintings and photographs.

I thought the next Paint along was not until Nov. 30th?

woody
They couldn't get the registration link up on time at head office. If they reschedule it I will let you know. But I did email everyone who took the recent last course about this.

mirizar
11-01-2013, 04:44 PM
Jo, here's my painting so far. Please C&C.

Thanks, Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2013/31994-sw_lscp_oils.jpg

Rosemarie
11-02-2013, 03:14 AM
What a beautiful painting! Well done!

painterted
11-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Beautiful Michelle, Sky is perfect.

ted

painteriam
11-02-2013, 11:06 AM
I am having difficulty viewing the videos in this session. I have a Mac 10.9 OS, use Firefox, do everything I usually do, right click and all, and they come up as .dtpart (a text edit file.) I change the video from Quicktime, to Real Player, to VLP, to iTunes and none of them will work. Sometimes Real Player will open, and play nothing.

What am I doing wrong? I have downloaded all of Jo's lessons and paintalongs, and now nothing will work.

Any ideas?? Anyone with a Mac having problems seeing the videos?

Rosemarie
11-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I am having difficulty viewing the videos in this session. I have a Mac 10.9 OS, use Firefox, do everything I usually do, right click and all, and they come up as .dtpart (a text edit file.) I change the video from Quicktime, to Real Player, to VLP, to iTunes and none of them will work. Sometimes Real Player will open, and play nothing.

What am I doing wrong? I have downloaded all of Jo's lessons and paintalongs, and now nothing will work.

Any ideas?? Anyone with a Mac having problems seeing the videos?

I use Safari on 10.6.8. First I open the download window (option + cmd + L). To that window I click and press and drag the download link to the download window. I will switch over to Maverick and see how it can be done.

On Mavericks using Safari you can right click on the link and choose Save as (or similar, mine is in Swedish)

The same works in Firefox 26

If you still have problems it might be your internet connections being slow.