PDA

View Full Version : Paint Along 7 Fall 2013 Discussion

Pages : 1 [2]

Johannes Instructor
11-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Jo, here's my painting so far. Please C&C.

Thanks, Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Nov-2013/31994-sw_lscp_oils.jpg
Mirizar,
Clearly you are an advanced artist.

mirizar
11-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Hi Jo! Thanks very much. I've been painting on and off since I was like 4, but I've rarely done landscapes, so there's a lot to learn from you. I'm ready for the next paint-along ;)

Thanks Ted and Rosemarie!

Jacdesusbielle
11-02-2013, 06:59 PM
Beautiful Michelle !

VanPaint
11-03-2013, 08:50 AM
Hello Jo, I have been following your lessons on and off for a year or so now, but am a beginner. I am trying the free paint-a-long sunset over the lake. I am struggling with the rosy-orange cloud paint application. You are "dry-brushing" these in. My attempts have come out hard looking - not cloud-like. Is your brush a soft bristle or stiff? What is the consistency of the paint? Any other tips? Thank you for your generous instruction!

KatyaFox
11-03-2013, 01:09 PM
I found that the Nov-Dec paint along is up and taking registrations from the Northlight website.

Rosemarie
11-03-2013, 01:21 PM
I found that the Nov-Dec paint along is up and taking registrations from the Northlight website.

Don't book before Johannes has it up on his site is my advise.

mickisew
11-03-2013, 04:50 PM

I, too, would wait for Johannes to announce registration.

Micki

KatyaFox
11-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Oops! Too late. I already registered. Seemed ok and confirmed. The click through was off Jo's website.

LADYBUGAZ
11-03-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi everyone, this is beyond "late" and I hope it's ok to post it, the others will be late also since I started out behind. (Could be an age related malady??)

As you can see, I took a lot of liberty with Jo's photo and the workshop. In explanation, I was already committed to the 24x20" canvas and as he said, the composition was almost 1/2 and 1/2 if the sky was to be the focal area. So, I turned it all upside down as you can see.

My focal area is the sun, reflections over water and grass. My focal point, is the woman waiting. Red dress to draw the eye since she is such a small figure.

I attempted to make the sky interesting without it taking over; I had to change the mood, time of day and colors to lighten everything up. Since the house had become an important part, I embellished it a bit more for interest. The boat house coloring had to be subdued, so I added the floats, fish net, etc. Then the foreground. Still too much space, so I changed the rocks a lot, added the row-boat keeping the colors subtle. To push the house back, and pointing toward the house and figure. I felt I needed to create as much depth as possible between the foreground and the house; hence the larger rocks at front left, the seagrass(s) layered in etc. That was also the purpose of the evergreen behind the boat house, as well as stopping the eye from following the tree line off the painting to the right. Entrance into the painting is either through the bottom right and the boat on up to the reflections to the figure and water/sun. Or from the top down to the sun then crossing over to the figure. I don't know how successful I was in all this and I'm certain it is way fussier than I'm comfortable with. But here you are. (I've been away from painting for over 12-13 years and prior to that I had a couple years of painting at our local J-C and always, photo or preferably live studio set-up. I picked up my brush again just 3 months ago and hope to be knowledgeable enough to paint plein air by spring-summer. Really appreciate Jo's generousness of spirit and his obvious love of painting and sharing what he has learned. Great blessing for me to have found him and you all. Thank you!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Nov-2013/1015622-WkShop2_JV.jpg

Johannes Instructor
11-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Hold off on your registration. The price is wrong. It is supposed to be $18.99. I already emailed Northlight for the correction. Keep checking to see if they corrected it.

Johannes Instructor
11-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Oops! Too late. I already registered. Seemed ok and confirmed. The click through was off Jo's website.
Your registration went thru fine but the price is off by 3 dollars. It will be corrected on Monday I am assuming.

Borntobeanartist
11-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Here is my completed home work. Thank you Jo for sharing your talent! I so enjoy your classes. Can't wait for the next one!

Johannes Instructor
11-04-2013, 05:20 PM
The registration link for Paint Along 8 is now open
Paint Along 8 with Johannes Vloothuis

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Nov-2013/135220-SunsetCove.jpg

Follow Johannes' steps with other students in a relaxed non formal studio environment, in a 4 hour marathon during 3 Saturdays.
He will start a painting from scratch and finish it in real time while you watch and if you want, paint along as well during a live video
feed. Because of the lengthy duration of the class you will be able to complete your own art creation as well. During the class
you will receive verbal techniques, color combinations professional secrets, and instructions to guide you along the way.
If you miss a part of the class or cannot make it one day, don't worry everything will be recorded and for download so you miss nothing.
Then you can watch the classes at any time of your preference. One demo will be in oil, another in watercolor and another in pastels.
12 hours of high quality art instruction.
When? November 30, December 7 and 14
What time? 1 to 5 PM EST (Check your local time)
Medium? All
$18.99 To register: http://www.northlightshop.com/paint-along-with-johannes-vloothuis

KatyaFox
11-05-2013, 03:18 PM
Very nice!

KatyaFox
11-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Jo! I am not worried about this except I would like it in your pocket! I was eager to register!

LADYBUGAZ
11-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Posting another painting/homework from WkShop7. Better late than...well, better to paint, than not to paint!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Nov-2013/1015622-cb_CarmelMisson2-lowres.jpg LADYBUGAZ; a.k.a. :Carolyn B.

Rosemarie
11-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Puih! Finally finished the painting from the 12th of October Paint Along. Painting the water not being used to pastells made it frustrating but I managed at the end. I learned a lot from this paint along

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Nov-2013/2623-DSCN2639korr2.jpg

LADYBUGAZ
11-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Lovely, Rosemarie! The waves and water look believable, nice translucent color and lots of movement. I've not used pastels at all, sticking to oils for the time being although the pan pastels look intriguing. Having my house up for sale isn't the time to add colored dust. Looks like we are the only ones hanging out here! I still feel it is important to post the assignments and there are a couple more to go prior to the Paintout 8. Good luck!

LADYBUGAZ/a.k.a. Carolyn B.

Rosemarie
11-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Thank you, Carolyn! I still think I could do the waves better, add a little darker colour but I just don't know which colour to use.

Rosemarie
01-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Hi!
I finally took the leap and painted the Arizona mountains. I didn't look at the photo or Joe's painting. If that was good or bad I don't know.

I did remember some golden nuggests which I think is an improvement of my skills.
Comments are welcome. I am thinking of trying this painting again or do the Grand Canyon from PA 8. Tips are welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Jan-2014/2623-DSCN2659korr.jpg

KatyaFox
01-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Rosemarie -very nice! You captured a great southwest mood feel. You may consider softening the rock shadows so they are in the same tone but slightly darker value with soft edges. Think about the flat planes reflecting more light than the vertical and decide where the light is coming from to be sure you are consistent across the painting, e.g. The vertical wall wouldn't be in sun if the bush shadows are away from the wall. I hope this is helpful as you really have a nice painting.

Rosemarie
01-04-2014, 02:46 PM
Thank you Katya! Most helpful. Some thing you said I alrady have thought about AFTER I finished the painting. The shadow direction isnt' good. I also been thinking of adding a tiny person or animal to make the mountain look larger.

start123
03-31-2014, 03:07 PM
I watched the class video and I thought it's great.Eventually I got to sit down and do the painting for the ocean scene.