PDA

View Full Version : Durand Eastman Park - c&c plz

kruglovfinearts
09-17-2013, 09:56 AM
This is a park walking distance from my home near lake Ontario. I often walk my dog here and it's a beautiful place. It sits over a few small valleys that form ponds that generally end up with a solid cover of opaque green bloom over the water.
I feel that I was able to capture the feeling pretty close in this painting and to those that have seen the actual park would get. However I feel that compositionally it would look better if I would break it up a bit. I'm kind of nervous about doing it:)
Thoughts? How should I do it? Should I wash it out with alcohol to free up the tooth?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2013/1086282-CAM00824-1.jpg

LLKrueger
09-17-2013, 11:56 AM
I like this a lot. The near complementary colors make this pop, it has a great sense of movement, and it feels impressionistic. I would vote for calling it complete. It feels really spontaneous and of the moment; I'm afraid that if you work with it more, it will lose that feeling.

Nice work!

Linda

jackiesimmonds
09-17-2013, 12:13 PM
It does look very fresh and spontaneous, with lots of movement and life.

I think I might simply brush off some of the blue at the base of the trees on the left, it is a jarring note to my eye, and instead, hint at light from the right hitting in there, it will take the eye across and link the two halves of the picture, the foliage-y side, and the barer trees on the right. The tiny bit of sharp light green gives you a small shape, which really takes the eye .

Then, I would do two more small things....get rid of the purple blob centre right, it looks like it is floating in space, and perhaps hint a TINY bit more at tree trunks on the left.

I always feel it helps to show with an image rather than just words, but do feel free to ignore if you do not like or agree.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2013/1805-park2_edited-1.jpg

kruglovfinearts
09-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Thank you Linda.

Thank you for pointing that out Jackie. That makes sense. I'll make some adjustments tonight and post a pic. :))))

sketchZ1ol
09-17-2013, 04:14 PM
hello
by your description , it must be an attractive place - lots of scenes/places to enjoy .

to me , there is a visual suggestion of a bare/brown + gray hillside in the upper right quadrant ,
but it is overwhelmed by the green .
the curve of the branches + marks-on-hill is an interesting idea/feel , and quite obvious at this point .
> how to continue the painting so that it is less obvious may be in your plan , or something to consider .

no mention of what surface , size , sticks you are working .
also , do you have a ref pix , was this started at the location ,
or is this a memory/recall invention ?

as to a wash , there is this image for ref ...
imo , swab the whole thing down randomly and work the different greens into that brown hillside for an overall green underpainting ,
then go forward .

just my thoughts .

Ed

kruglovfinearts
09-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Thanks Ed. The painting is on Uart 400 using a number of decent quality pastels. the size is 8X8 :)

I am calling this one finished after some small adjustments and picture taken in warmer lighting to show truer colors:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Sep-2013/1086282-pastel_30.jpg