GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Rainy and wet.....
Year Created: 2003
Medium: Oil
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 14 x 11
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
This one has a long way to go....but I like the feel of this where it is now. All washes up to this point....2 hours of pushing and layering very thinned paint (mineral spirits only)

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
What I like about this is the looseness...the transparency and the ambiguity. My goal was for more detail, but I am thinking that the detail will take this to more of a photographic image (which is what I am working from) instead of this spontaneous "washy" thing thas has happened. Give me some reaction...even if it stays loose I know it needs more work....but?

artbabe21
09-17-2003, 01:23 AM
this is so inspiring...could stand as is...ambiguity & looseness certainly achieved...you keep growing! thrilled for you Jim! what a reach you have! :D

woodguy
09-17-2003, 01:32 AM
Thank you, Cathleen! My reach is exceeded by your kindness. Enjoy Paree! Jim

Cabal
09-17-2003, 02:32 AM
I really like your paint handling and style of depicting the cars and the surroundings! However I just don't like that the two cars on the far right reflect the same warm and cool colors as the buildings above them. Seems... too intentional. But the red on the second car works great, really helps the painting.. (oh no I'm going to use one of my professor's terms here) "pop" more.

You might consider changing the blue on the nearest car or the building to something else?

Really nice picture though.

jerryW
09-17-2003, 02:40 AM
something very otherworldly
i like that.

markr
09-17-2003, 05:37 AM
"... All washes up to this point....2 hours of pushing and layering very thinned paint (mineral spirits only)..."

Be careful about this ... I'm not speaking from experience but passing on the words of someone who has been painting for around 50 years now. Use pure gum turpentine. The washes we use with mineral spirits will flake off eventually.
I have not seen this myself but I trust this guy. He's head of the painting program at IU. He's mentioned lawsuits in which buyers of paintings are sueing the painters cause the works they have paid for are falling apart.

"...What I like about this is the looseness...the transparency and the ambiguity. My goal was for more detail, but I am thinking that the detail will take this to more of a photographic image (which is what I am working from) instead of this spontaneous "washy" thing thas has happened. Give me some reaction...even if it stays loose I know it needs more work....but? ..."

This is what I was thinking about with your other painting ... Can you take it to a higher level of resolution without it becoming photographic or literal ... just keeping it abstract yet more refined and subtle? I think that's what I mean by "further".
Need to know this for further crits: Do you always work from photos?
Thanks,
Mark

coulter
09-17-2003, 08:18 AM
Wow Jim, you've captured that rainy street look perfectly. More detail as in more detail in what is all ready there? or more details to be added?

Either way I'm sure you'll pull this off and not lose that wonderful atmosphere!

Mark

Wayne Gaudon
09-17-2003, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't miss the street lamp and as far as more detail I think just the adding of thicker paint would finish this off .. quite a nice piece of work.

Fagan
09-17-2003, 09:11 AM
This is my favorite of yours so far! I love that dreamy rainy feel you have captured. I would say it is done....not sure what you could push without losing this unique atmosphere. Very well done!

tbezesky
09-17-2003, 11:36 AM
You've really capture a great lighting effect!
Great Work!

Helen Zapata
09-17-2003, 12:12 PM
Nice! Don't push it so far that you lose your trademark looseness!

Scary news about the mineral spirits. That's for sharing that markr.

Jim, I like it all, except for one thing. I'd like to see the light on the wet street also work it's way between the cars a little. The line between their shadowed ground and the bright wet street is so straight, that I get the impression they are sitting on the sidewalk.

I like the rich muted red and blues that you added into this one. And the sky is fabulous! I envy you that sky!

Helen

pero lane
09-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Jim this is great as is!!!:) If you go further....be careful not to lose the spontinaity(?) and "washy" effect you already have. One little nit...the red car looks a little flattened:D

SouthernSun
09-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Great work.

bradbrains
09-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Can you leave it like this? It makes me feel cold to the bone.

Andrew Rance
09-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Good atmosphere - looks like just about anywhere in London in December, and what us Brits have got to look forward to over the next few months :(

woodguy
09-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Well, it seems like the majority is saying to leave it be pretty much as is! But I am going to go a little further.....heavier paint, but not with as much focus and detail as I had originally thought I might. I will go back to it tonight and see what happens.

Cabal...Thanks for looking and your comments. Since this was originally done as a "block in" I thought that my final colors would all be different from what they appear here. I wanted the areas you mention to tied together with the underpainting. The final colors would be different from each other but connected by the underpainting. Maybe that would still create the same dilemna to your eye.

Thanks, Jerry! "Other Worldly," I like that!

Markr....Thanks for looking and your comments. The stuff about mineral spirits has been debated....in fact, there is a thread in the "Oil" forum on Christine LaFuentes where on page 3? this is talked about, in a way. Yes, I do paint about 1/2 of my paintings from photographs....helps my recall. And in some cases, as in this one, it is a photo that I have found that leads me somewhere else. I have been thinking alot about your comments of taking "it to a higher level"......still thinking of the possibilities!

Mark....I was thinking about "more Detail" in regard to more defined shapes...a clearer "focus," but now I have reconsidered. I just do not want to lose the "atmosphere."

Thanks, Wayne!...You are right. I think that SOME thicker paint my do the trick.

Thanks you, Beverly! When I hear "New Favorites," then I know that I am growing and getting better!

Thanks for looking and commenting, Tracy!

Thank you, Helen, for the wonderful comments! I think that if you look at this as the cars being parked at the curb of a very narrow street. Then the straight line is where there is a shadow between the cars and the curb. The rest of the space that the street light sits on is accually the sidewalk.

Thanks, Pat! That flat little car is the first thing I am going to fix!

SouthernSun...Thank you!

BradBrains...Thank you, I feel the cold and damp too!

Andrew, thanks for looking and commenting! You are feeling what I was trying to say.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to look and comment. Jim

pampe
09-17-2003, 09:53 PM
oh, Jim, this is grand

I'm wondering if you can keep the atmosphere and vagueness?

woodguy
09-17-2003, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Pam! I am going to try. This is accually feeling more like a watercolor....in terms of how I am painting....can't get that "watery stuff' out of my system! Jim

pampe
09-17-2003, 09:57 PM
ya, I know THAT feeling;)

Wes Hyde
09-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Jim, I love the looseness of this painting and the mood. There are a couple of minor changes I'd make, so, if I may suggest: If that lamp were lit, it would really make this piece pop, and then yopu'd need some of the colors deepened in the sidewalk below and possibly reflecting on the sides of the near autos. In the digital rework I only showed a bit of what I'd put into the sidewalk...

Beautiful work, pal.

Wes

woodguy
09-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Okay, Wes, now you can add mind reader to your list of "gifts"! I was thinking the same thing....and subtelty as you have suggested. I feel the potential danger of not having the relection on the sidewalk just right. Would that light accually be cast straight down? Right now I can see the reflection of the pole but the lamp is out of picture. I think that there would be some warm glow back into the viewable area, so the question is how to handle that? What do you think, my friend? Jim

Helen Zapata
09-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Thank you, Helen, for the wonderful comments! I think that if you look at this as the cars being parked at the curb of a very narrow street. Then the straight line is where there is a shadow between the cars and the curb. The rest of the space that the street light sits on is accually the sidewalk.

OOPS! What a dingdong I am! You mean that they don't have streetlamps in the middle of the street where you live? Sheesh.. I'm so embarrassed. :o

That straight line looks fine now! :D :D

I like the idea of lighting the lamp.

Helen

woodguy
09-18-2003, 02:00 AM
Ha, Ha, Helen! No ding dong....just being misled by a wacko painter! About 5 min ago I added the light in the lamp, and it made a huge difference. Now I am trying to adjust everything else to it! I did not add the "light" on the sidewalk, as I do not think that it will work. Still waiting for Wes to tell me differently:evil: Hope that what I akm doing does not take too much away from what the original was. Jim

artinoils
09-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Like wes' suggestion of lighting. Jim, been following and waiting for the finish. Nice work.

dornberg
09-18-2003, 10:29 AM
i like the muddy atmospheric paint

aaasp
09-18-2003, 01:54 PM
My only suggestion would be that the colour echoes between the buildings on the right and the cars are a little too similar.
The atmosphere is wonderful.

Wes Hyde
09-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Something like this, Jim, though a little less on the sides of the autos.

Wes

aaasp
09-18-2003, 08:56 PM
a little silver maybe?..

woodguy
09-19-2003, 03:00 AM
Okay, Susan! Here is the finish (at least for now). I made alot of changes that will not be noticeable in this poor digital photo. I haven't even compared this with the original. Thanks for your comments!

Thanks, Bob! I appreciate you looking.

Thanks, Tony! The painting may not reflect it, but your comments helped!

Thanks for the visuals, Wes! Appreciate your time and energy. I did turn the light on, but have been rather hesitant to add too much more of the "yellow" reflections in the foreground. It seems to me that that would pull the eye away from the intense light in the backround. I did add bits of light here and there for a bit of sparkle as one moves through this.