PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice please!

Echecs
09-14-2013, 12:24 PM
Hello,
I've been working on my savage cabbage for a couple of days now, but something is wrong and I can't seem to work out how to fix it, I can't get the volume right, do I need the darks to go darker or lighter? The shadow underneath seems wrong too, any suggestions anyone?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2013/293621-DSCN0975b.JPG

The original is darker, the photo has lightened it up a bit.

Thanks in advance,
Deborah

Yorky
09-14-2013, 01:49 PM
I think you need darker shadows within the cabbage Deborah and maybe stronger veins.

Doug

indraneel
09-14-2013, 01:52 PM
The savage cabbage has lost its color! I hope you're not planning on eating it anymore.

Take a picture of the cabbage, increase the saturation and contrast and paint from that. It seems you do not have any midtones, only a dark shadow which makes this high key. The shadow will be a deep gray becoming a deep red (which is the unsaturated deeper tone of the ground below).

As you see it does not look too bad with the mid values in place. Needs some modelling to bring out the curved shapes.

increased contrast, reduced brightness and saturation
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2013/100896-293621-DSCN0975b.JPG

Echecs
09-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Thank you both for your input, I'll do some more work on it tomorrow and see how I can fix it up :-)

Cheers,
Deborah

painterbear
09-15-2013, 05:28 AM
Deborah,
The shadows under the cabbage need some color dropped into them. Shadows aren't solid black, they reflect some of the color of the object casting them as well as the surface upon which they are laying. ;)

Sylvia

pjartwc
09-15-2013, 05:29 AM
Some good advice given. Good luck!

portalhome
09-15-2013, 08:47 AM
A nice composition with good potential. That cast shadow calls for drama! I can't wait to see what you do with it.

mkillough
09-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Photos don't tell the truth about shadows. Go outside and look at the shadow cast by something onto the ground. The shadow will be a darker value of the color of the ground. If the shadow is cast onto green grass the shadow will be a darker value of the greens in the grass. Mix three values of brown; a light brown, a medium and a dark; and try that. If you need the shadow even darker; then glaze a bit of raw umber mixed with a tad of ultra blue over it and loose the edges.

You are doing great with the cabbage leaves. Very nice!:thumbsup:

Maryq

Echecs
09-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions and encouragements, I let it rest for today, maybe my fresh eyes will also clear things up a bit, sometimes you can't see the cabbage for the shadows :-)

Cheers,
Deborah

Yorky
09-15-2013, 01:53 PM
The first painting I ever sold was a cabbage (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98286), I got 10 for it. :)

Doug

Echecs
09-15-2013, 02:44 PM
I love your cabbage Doug, it's so colourful.
I'll post the reference photo I took of mine tomorrow, it's a lovely silver/grey. I'm so taken by it, I'm also doing a stippling pen version.

Deborah