PDA

View Full Version : Landscape

docxart
09-13-2013, 03:30 PM
Hello,

Here a landscape that I did. Please critique for me.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2013/1074922-Landscape-1B.jpg

Qadir

indraneel
09-13-2013, 04:07 PM
!! This reminds me of when I had started (before giving up due to others' unsolicited critiques)...

I like the vibrant contrasting colors, the tree trunk, and the concept. Looks very impressionistic, but lacks a focal point.

If that was not what you wanted, then the lower sky needs to be toned down. The light green needs to gradually become deeper as it comes closer (otherwise it is looking like reflection in the water). You have to leave some pale wash behind for the tree leaves or make it much darker, otherwise it looks like an afterthought. I would prefer to put it wet on wet over a pale background sky, or the top corner will lose light. The shadow of the tree will be a less saturated more intense color (a grayish deep green) of the object it falls on. After that it would be time to worry about the different shades of green, which is a rather complicated thing in itself.

If that seems like too much, please disregard my critique and paint. The important thing is to have fun!

docxart
09-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Thank you indraneel for taking time to critique this painting. I see that I still have a lot to learn. I will take all of your comments to heart and see if I can't improve my next landscape.

Qadir

Undergoose
09-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Good job! Indraneel did a good job on the critique, but I'll add a couple things.

First of all, congratulations on your bold colors, I love it! I've been studying and watching a lot of instructional videos, and many of them state that a consistent problem they see with people learning is that they don't use enough 'dark' in their darks. Your colors are brave and strong, problem solved right away! :)

You've got a good handle on shadows and light coming from one direction, aside from the large foreground tree where the shadow looks to be cast from a high-noon sun.

I love your tree trunk, nice shape! with such a big, beautiful tree, don't be afraid to just paint it right out of the page instead of trying to confine it into the frame of the paper. Make the foliage big and lush, draping in from the top and side.

Personally, I LOVE your sky colors and saturation, but I'm a sucker for big color. The mountains are a wonderful color, I love the dramatic violet. As Indraneel says for more realism you'd fade and neutralize the colors to show distance/depth, but your colors fit with the style of the piece overall, I think.

Also, for more realism and 'proper' prospective, your road would be much wider and warmer at the foreground and just barely a visible mark where it passes through the mountains. Again, with the feel that you've created in the whole painting, your existing road looks better because it fits nicely with the style.

What kind of paper are you using? That looks to be kinda thin and a couple of spots in the washes have characteristics of being painted onto thin drawing paper or even printer paper. Aside from quality paints, good watercolor paper is important, otherwise you'll end up frustrated. I'd recommend cold press, it's kind of the goto texture for starting out. If you're looking for practice paper, my favorite is Strathmore 400 just because it's so tough and the texture is very similar to most 'good' cold press papers.

This is a tough medium that frustrates and soothes and excites me every time I use it. Hang in there, you're doing great! Keep up the good work with the colors!

pjartwc
09-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Hi Qadir, Karl has given you some good advice. One thing you might try on your next painting: Before painting the trunk or anything that is behind the trees, paint the leaves on the trees, leaving some white area unpainted. Then paint what is behind, roads, branches, etc. If a darker color, like a tree branch, it can go over top of the leaves. Good luck.

docxart
09-14-2013, 06:42 AM
Karl & Jan
Thank you both for your critiques. As for paper Karl, I did this painting in my sketchbook (about 50# paper). After I started working on it I realized that I needed a better paper. I have some Strathmore 140# that I plan to use next time.
Also Jan, I think I'll try to use some masking and plaint the leaves over the masking. Then add the darker elements as you suggest.
Thanks again to both of you.

Qadir