PDA

View Full Version : After FCB Cadell's 'The Black Hat'

mjlonline
09-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Cadell was one of the Scottish Colourists. I admire his 1914 painting 'The Black Hat' very much for its energetic brushwork and sensitivity, allied with a limited palette. I copied it to learn as much as I could. The original of my copy is closer to Cadell's painting than my photo - unfortunately I couldn't adjust the photo sufficiently.

My painting is cropped and in oil on 20x16in, 50x40cm canvas. I really enjoyed painting it.

Comments and critiques welcome.

AllisonR
09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Where's the feather? Just teasing. The original is very fresh and yours is as well. I am glad you didn't try to copy it exactly, would have looked stiff, but instead concentrated on the energy of the painting. The only crit I have is that it is a bit bothering that you have a reflection of the right hand candle, and a reflection of the left one, but not the actual candle. This is minor though.

mjlonline
09-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Many thanks, Allison. Yes, I left out the feather and the lacy collar to try and modernise the dress a little. Regarding the candle, I cropped perhaps too much as it left out the actual candle.

mjlonline
09-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Allison, had a look at your blog. Really like the quirkiness and humour in your paintings.

adamrice
09-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Very nice rendition micheal. i wasn't familiar with the painting so i found it online. I like the expression you gave her, and the coat is just fun to look at...i'm guessing it was probably fun to paint

mjlonline
09-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Adam, thank you for your kind words. The coat was great fun to paint, trying to imitate Cadell's bravura brushwork.

marionh
09-13-2013, 03:47 AM
Your enjoyment in painting this comes through. Well done.

I'm familiar with Peploe and will now go and research Cadell.

mjlonline
09-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Marion, thank you so much. As I suspect you may know, the other two Scottish Colourists, Hunter and Fergusson, are well worth looking up.