PDA

View Full Version : mi-teintes touch needs fixative ?

JPQ
09-12-2013, 08:08 AM
mi-teintes touch needs fixative ? when used for soft pastels.

MarvelousSauce
09-12-2013, 10:13 AM
I've used it a few times and it seems to hold the layers pretty well. I used a very light coat of fixative on a portrait that I just had to have shipped framed from NY to Texas, and it arrived safely with no dust. I haven't used fixative on any of the other pieces I did on the Touch and they're fine.

Dcam
09-12-2013, 10:59 AM
I like the stuff and use spectra fix on it. Works fine.

Derek

JPQ
09-12-2013, 11:22 AM
There where i live spectra fix is unavailable. only good brands are i think:
(what i can get,and there is two other non serious brands)
Royal Talens
Winsor Newton
Daler Rowney

jackiesimmonds
09-12-2013, 12:22 PM
I think if you write direct to Della at Spectrafix, she might send you some. It is also available from the UK - Jacksons have it, they should send to Finland. It is worth paying the extra for it, because all the others are TOXIC, Spectrafix is not. It is really excellent.

You do not need, however, to use fix on Mi Teinte Touch if you don't overfill the tooth, it has good holding properties. Even with fixative, most paintings will smudge until they are under glass. If you can manage without it, it is best.

gecko99
09-12-2013, 07:13 PM
My experience with Mi-Teintes touch is that fixative isn't necessary but, as Jackie says, it depends how 'loaded' it is.

Nicole

JPQ
09-13-2013, 09:17 PM
I need it so rarely comes very pricey...

robertsloan2
09-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Then buying SpectraFix once would probably do you forever. I'm serious, the stuff may be pricy at start but it lasts and lasts. I bought it years ago, both the concentrate and little travel bottle to fill with alcohol on arrival and the full size big bottle. I have not used up the big bottle in years of using it, because it just doesn't take much and none of what's in the bottle is wasted propellant. It's all product. Like buying a bottle of linseed oil versus buying a spray can of anything, the pump mister has a good mist and didn't need any air other than what you're breathing.

For out of country, the concentrate and little empty travel bottle would be a better choice for cost of shipping by weight. You mix it up with vodka or Everclear or any grain alcohol that concentrated and it doesn't take much of the casein mixture. It's archival, non toxic and non flammable in concentrate form, travels on airplanes.

It also has a faint delightful scent like someone poured a drink recently instead of that choking spray-can propellants odor. I used to use other fixatives and my poor cat would run out of the room for an hour because of the stink. He ignores the SpectraFix odor completely. (Oh, dad's spraying on his art again. Why did he get mad when I did years ago?)

The other interesting use for the concentrate is using it full strength as a solvent for wet underpainting. It turns into rock-solid casein underpainting and perfectly transparent, the color stays bright. I had to get used to "SpectraFix doesn't darken pastels like regular fixatives do" because I used to use fixative deliberately to darken and intensify some pieces.

I got it for environmental reasons, not wanting to wreck the atmosphere after switching to stick deodorants etc. in body products. Then stuck with it because it works better, smells nice, does not demand going outdoors to use it or chasing off my cat with the stink.

There are other fixatives that come in a bottle of liquid that you use with a mouth atomizer. I got one with my gouache tubes starter set, bought the little brass atomizer and it's a cool thing too. But that takes skill to use effectively more than getting used to SpectraFix and is a bit more like a varnish spray to go over gouache paintings.

PS, I never use fixative on Mi-Tientes touch or on Pastelmat, though I guess if I loaded it on too heavy it might help.

The "Cost effective" about SpectraFix comes in when you have to replace a can of any spray-can fixative, which was a continuing expense too many times in my life. I still have cans of archival ones I bought before I got the SpectraFix that generally go unused but might get picked up again with all their inconvenience if I wanted to darken a piece for its effect.

PPS:

If you store spray-can fixative in the car in winter and it gets too cold for weeks on end, it will turn cloudy and no longer be transparent when sprayed on. This happens to Krylon and others, a friend gave me some that had sat in the car too long in a Midwestern winter. That's just a general tip about fixatives, don't leave them in the freezer metaphorically speaking, if they turn like that they don't turn back once warmed up to room temp.