PDA

View Full Version : wip mountain lion

Mettaphorica
09-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Still in progress, C&Cs welcome. Reference below.
cheers
Donna

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2013/979263-puma.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Sep-2013/979263-_MG_3424resized.jpg

bethanyt
09-12-2013, 06:39 AM
A really nice job with that fur texture!
(would you believe that I literally just finished upgrading my mac to "mountain lion"- then I saw your thread title! ha!)

NRC
09-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi Donna:
Has the image of your work in progress disappeared? Do we have gremlins again?
Nell

NRC
09-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Well, I hate to say the gremlins may be back. First your WIP image didn't load, then I posted, then the image loaded, so I edited msg to say never mind I see it. Then my post disappeared. Hmmmm .... maybe it's me.

Fur texture is beautiful. Check size of nose in relation to eyes and angle of mouth.

NRC
09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
And now the first post is back (except the edit).

sketchZ1ol
09-13-2013, 04:13 PM
hello
good work with proportions and textures .

the ref pix has a ' presence ' , a character of animal and environment
held together by the temperature ,
muted/greyed colour ,
and then the sharpness of the eyes , face , body ...

- some might argue about imitating the pix ,
but to me , it presents a great learning experience .

Ed

pastel65
09-13-2013, 09:12 PM
Very nice. Fur is impressive. I would just check a few measurements. For example the top of both ears line up in photo but in picture you have left ear lower. Also very end of the pink area of nose on animal's left side in picture lines up with the outside edge of the left eye. A little off in painting. Perhaps turn both over and check the drawing that way. Now I admit I am not good at drawing and struggle all the time which I guess is why I am in to checking how things line up. I hope you don't mind me mentioning this. I wrote this at first late night and then deleted but decided to mention it today. If the two weren't show together I probably would not have even noticed these slight differences. Pam

Mettaphorica
09-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Hi Pam
Don't hesitate, that's why I asked for C&C's. I was aware of the misaligned ear, although in the ref pic they don't match up evenly, yet on screen here, they do. That said, it's true the ear on my cat is an eensy bit over.
Nell mentions the nose, too, but for the life of me I'm not seeing it. I lined up nose with eye using my mouse (because that is what you are seeing), but I'm not quite seeing what you are. Can you elaborate?
thanks again, I'm glad you piped up
cheers
Donna

Mettaphorica
09-14-2013, 12:24 AM
Hi Ed
Yes, the ref pic has 'presence' which is what attracted me to it, along with those temperatures. I deliberately didn't include the tree as a detail...though would if it was suggested. Mine has come out softer, sure, not as sharp, and yes, quite a bit different from the ref pic. Are you saying it was not a good one to try? (I've just received that comment for the giraffe licking the squirrel).
thanks for commenting
cheers
Donna

hello
good work with proportions and textures .

the ref pix has a ' presence ' , a character of animal and environment
held together by the temperature ,
muted/greyed colour ,
and then the sharpness of the eyes , face , body ...

- some might argue about imitating the pix ,
but to me , it presents a great learning experience .

Ed

pastel65
09-15-2013, 07:52 PM
I hope I can explain - the first time I viewed the picture and the painting was on my ipad - I was able to expand picture to edges of viewing screen to see where features intersected. If you run a ruler on the very edge of the left side of the nose, on my screen it lines up with the very outside of the left eye of the animal where the blue and black meet at the left top part of the eye. When I did it on the painting it ended up in the middle of the eye, which means the nose needed to be wider but as you said, maybe the way it shows up in posting is different from the actual because it is a "picture" of the "Picture". :confused: Pam

Mettaphorica
09-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Thanks, Pam. I'll take a look at it more closely from your directions.
thanks again
cheers
Donna

JustinM
09-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Its coming along lovely. The only area of concern, imho is teh nose/mouth which appears to droop down. Even forgetting the reference image, if you put your hand over the mouth/nose area the painting is nearly perfect, but something in that are (i believe it is the angle/perspective, as Pam is alluding to) is just not quite right.

The handling of fur is amazing. Well done indeed.