PDA

View Full Version : Journal pages - quilting blocks and fabric

melanie
09-10-2013, 04:18 PM
I've recently picked up my brushes for the first time in at least a decade and started a watercolor journal. The pages I started yesterday are of some quilt blocks and a new stack of fabric I bought for my quilt. I wanted to add some text floating across the pages to journal about my quilt, but the stack of fabric on the book just looks so lonely. I started to add some shading with my PITT pens, but I just made a big mess (to the right lower edge of the book).
I'm really struggling with how or where to add shading to make this not look so flat. I attached a photo of the fabric stack, and there's no noticeable shadow for me to duplicate. Any advice for adding shadows or depth to the fabric stack?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
Melanie

Yorky
09-11-2013, 02:22 AM
Lovely design. I don't think shadows are so important in journal pages. This is a record of your designs.

Doug

pjartwc
09-11-2013, 04:36 AM
I think it's fine the way it is! Looks like you're going to have fun with your quilt.

painterbear
09-11-2013, 05:22 AM
Melanie,
Welcome back to the wonderful world of watercolor painting. :D

I like your journal pages very much. My art instructor keeps telling us to use our journals for various subjects and trying out new ideas. :thumbsup:

I think if you look at your reference photo, you might find that the part of the book cover facing the viewer is slightly darker in tone than the top part where the light is hitting. Also, the table the pile is sitting on really acts like a shadow giving a darker tone beneath the stack. You might try suggesting the table top. :D

Sylvia

LynnM
09-11-2013, 09:18 AM
This is a really nice start to your journal! good advice ^^^^^. And the quilt looks very interesting too....multi-talented :)

Cyntada
09-12-2013, 12:58 AM
I think the most important thing is the soft little shadows that separate the folded quarters and provide depth between them. You nailed this; it's so 3D I want to reach over there and touch the fabric! I'd just put a slice of tabletop like Sylvia said, or a big soft blur to suggest the fabric is "on" something, and leave it at that.

I need to do more writing in my own journals, that's a great idea. There's usually a story behind the painting and it would be nice not to forget these as time marches on.

What a fun page you've created!