PDA

View Full Version : Undercover Artist 3

Rockport123
09-10-2013, 03:57 PM
Hi Everyone!

This is the third in a series of self portraits I've done wearing a hood of somekind. I love the interplay of color and shadow that the hood creates.

Originally this was going to be done as a pencil/charcoal drawing, so it's done on a recycled Startmore gray-toned drawing paper. Well, one thing led to another and I ended up doing it in pastel. The sticking point is it's not the greatest paper for pastel, very thin tooth. It's 99% done, so I'll turn it to the wall for a few days and look at it with a fresh eye to finish.

It's 18"x24" using all different hard and soft pastels.

Hope you like me!
C&C's always welcomed

Marlene :wave:

pastel65
09-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Like it very much. Great colors. Pam:wave:

sketchZ1ol
09-10-2013, 07:33 PM
hello
expressive , and a distinct palette/marks !

there appears to be an issue with the alignment of the features ;
using the outline of the head as reference for the for the sense of a 3D shape ,
the eye on our left is high . ( look up Andrew Loomis - Very thorough )

i realize that there is close detail for the eye , and repositioning can be a chore .
> a slight shift of the jaw/cheek outline and the line of the mouth could be an alternate solution ...

just my thoughts .

Ed

Rockport123
09-11-2013, 07:46 AM
Pam- Thank you so much!

Ed- Thank you so much for your observation, I will correct the left eye, shouldn't be a big deal. I failed to check the alignment a final time at the end of my painting session. Thanks again!

Ruthie57
09-11-2013, 11:05 AM
I love the colours! I agree with Ed about the eye appearing a little too high.
If it were me (and it isn't so just ignore this if you don't agree) I would push the darks a little more. The shadow from the hood, the lips and under the nose and eyes, under the chin. Just a suggestion. It's great as it is!

Rockport123
09-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Hi Ruthie!

Thanks, actually it is darker than what the photo suggests, I couldn't get it any darker without throwing off the whole color values. I've already adjusted the eye, looks much better!!!!