PDA

View Full Version : Pony hunter

MarvelousSauce
09-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I am vending at a horse show this weekend and decided I needed a sample "in action" shot to practice with and to put on display, since all my horses are pretty much head/bust and usually without tack. So this is my first piece with a rider. Reference photo was kinda crappy and I wish I'd done a larger size! Mostly pastel pencil/NuPastel/Caran d'Ache on Touch paper, 8x10".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Sep-2013/1335271-pony_in_progress_small.jpg

Mostly done, but critiques and suggestions are welcome... also debating whether to add in a background or leave it empty...

pastel65
09-08-2013, 01:29 PM
This is wonderful. As to background, not sure it needs it but I am always at a loss for what to put in backgrounds. I would take a copy of it and "play". I'm sure some more experienced artists will have some ideas. Pam

Dea
09-08-2013, 04:59 PM
I agree with Pam, this is excellent.
I think the plain background looks good, leaves the focus on the horse and rider
Deanna

Dcam
09-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Great combo of background and subject. Any background "stuff" would detract from a wonderful rendering of horse and rider.
:thumbsup:
Derek

MarvelousSauce
09-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks, folks! :)

Ruthie57
09-10-2013, 03:18 AM
Good work! You got a real sense of movement. Doesn't need a background IMO. I'd be more concerned about ruining the painting by putting in a BG last.

JustinM
09-10-2013, 11:17 AM
Very nice.

In regards to the background question, I think it could have been stronger with a background but also think that with the level of finish and detail you have on there I would not try to add in a background at this late time. Ideally you work both foreground and background so that the edges dont look "added" at the end (gives a finished painting a halo effect) so if it was me, on this particular painting, i wouldnt add in one, but I would consider adding them on future works. Just my 2.

MarvelousSauce
09-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Thanks Justin! Backgrounds are tough for me--I'll definitely have to play around more so I'm confident with trying one out next time.

Rockport123
09-10-2013, 03:35 PM
It has a great sense of force and movement, you can feel the weight of the horse jumping over the rails! At this stage I wouldn't add a background.