PDA

View Full Version : Shed Study

Davkin
09-05-2013, 11:56 PM
I'm on vacation this week so I decided to visit an area of the state today I haven't been to in at least 20 years which was long before I got interested in art. Sanpete County, Utah is sensory overload for an artist! If I had my pastels with me I think I would have booked a room and spent the night so I could get a few plein air paintings in. I didn't have pastels, (or any other paint medium) with me so I settled for spending a few hours taking photos, well over 300 of them! Take your pick, historic buildings, 150 year old houses, pioneer homes, log cabins, barns, barns and more barns, old tractors, ranches, canyons, rivers, etc., etc. you'll find it here and plenty of it. I came home inspired and found the energy to do one small, quick study inspired by one of the photos I took;

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2013/201970-shed_study-01.jpg
The funny thing though is if I showed you the ref photo you wouldn't recognize it. :lol: I don't beleive I've ever deviated so far from a ref photo for a painting. This is 10x8 on Uart, Polychromos and Rembrandt pastels with an acrylic ink underpainting.

David

DAK723
09-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Very nice and painterly!

Don

water girl
09-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I like it! That shed almost has a personality of its own!

Ebowalker
09-06-2013, 05:14 PM
i love the softness of this...very beautiful!

Davkin
09-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Thanks Don, Karen, Christina. It came out a bit too soft really, that wasn't my intention.

David

allydoodle
09-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Nice job on this David. It's great to see you working with pastels again. You haven't been around for a while.

Davkin
09-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Thanks Chris. Pastels aren't really a medium I focus on anymore, I just get the urge to dig them out and play with them occasionally.

David