PDA

View Full Version : Lion in the Spring Sun

JustinM
09-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Amongst my usual portraits etc Ive been sneaking in some...what i call "Animal Portraits" - basically head & shoulder images of animals i have photographed myself.

This fellow was sunning himself on one cold calgary day & I loved the play of light against his noble golden fur. Will do a full length painting of him in time im sure but for now, I give you this "head and shoulders" painting.

Mostly Rembrandt, some Mungyo Handmade & Conte Pastel Pencils. 12" x 16" on Canson paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2013/60943-maas,justin,lion,in,the,spring,sun.jpg

Mettaphorica
09-04-2013, 09:22 PM
Wow, he's just beautiful, stunning! I love the blues and jewel colours you've captured. Well done!
cheers
Donna

Mettaphorica
09-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I just looked at your online gallery. You do have a definite, recognisable style. I loved 'the phone call', I looked at it first and was quite taken with it - it was intriguing, and then I saw that it got Juror's Choice - I'm not surprised. Well done.
cheers

pastel65
09-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Wonderful painting. Pam

bobbymac
09-05-2013, 04:43 AM
Well done, I really love the colour and overall feel of the painting. You might look at the location of its pupil in the left eye (our right). It does not appear that both eyes are looking in the same direction. Bob

JustinM
09-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I just looked at your online gallery. You do have a definite, recognisable style. I loved 'the phone call', I looked at it first and was quite taken with it - it was intriguing, and then I saw that it got Juror's Choice - I'm not surprised. Well done.
cheers

Thanks so much for the kind comments, Donna.

The painting in question is of my wife & was done in acrylics. I liked it conceptually but found it difficult to achieve the soft/vs/hard edges required for my vision of it...and then I started doing pastels :)

I am actually working on a smaller (i believe more emotional) version of it in pastel right now (slight variation in pose etc) but have put it away for a few days to reflect before i finish it.

JustinM
09-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Well done, I really love the colour and overall feel of the painting. You might look at the location of its pupil in the left eye (our right). It does not appear that both eyes are looking in the same direction. Bob

Bob! Great eye - no pun intended - i never noticed this. I went to check back on my reference & it actually was this way (thus my never noticing it!) but your suggestion is a great one as it is sticking out like a sore thumb to me now that you have brought my attention to it :) Thankfully it should be easy enough to correct ;)

Donna T
09-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Wow! His fur is beautiful and you did a great job with the light on it!

robertsloan2
09-05-2013, 06:26 PM
He's beautiful. Love the sunlight and his expression. I love cats anyway and you've got his features so rich and effective, his expression is so natural and evocative. You caught him in a great mood and I'm sure you got a fantastic reference when you saw him - that and a good memory for color of light!

gecko99
09-05-2013, 07:27 PM
This is really very striking - I also admire your style very much :)

Nicole

JustinM
09-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks Donna, Robert & Nicole.

@Nicole - the funny thing is that all during art school I (like most of my peers) was feverishly trying to "develop a style," as we (believed) thats what our teachers told us to do.

Then something happened. Never in my life have I seen one word make such a difference. My most important teacher, an illustrator name Rick Sealock pulled me aside and said "you do realize we are trying to get you to develop YOUR style, not "A" style, right?"

My response was "i dont have a style, thats just how I paint" to which he gave me a very sly grin. Of course lightbulbs went off and from that moment forward I attempted to embrace how I painted and stay away from developing some "specific" style (which more often than not means copying someone else's).