PDA

View Full Version : Rob's September 2013 Sketches

robertsloan2
09-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Starting off the month with the same Stillman & Birn 7" x 10" Beta journal, the latest piece in it was done just last night. I worked from a photo with Prismacolor watercolor pencils and some Sakura white watercolor for the whiskers. Tried to use a white pen for whiskers but that didn't work well. Really, next time I should try embossing the whiskers and working over them dry, since I wound up doing this as a dry piece instead of washing as I'd planned to. But I like it, one of my better Ari portraits.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2013/70184-Ari_Portrait_post.JPG
Ari Portrait
7" square roughly, Prismacolor watercolor pencil used dry and Sakura watercolor (white) for whiskers.

Actually not entirely from the photo. While I worked on it, he came up and sat in front of me intelligently watching what I was doing. I checked my colors against the real cat and tweaked the photo a little on his face details too, since he is so beautiful and cooperated so well. So funny that when I didn't need him to pose, he came and sat still for 15 minutes!

DrDebby
09-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Beautiful portrait of Ari.

robertsloan2
09-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Purr, thank you!

Now there's today's - a continuation of the Door Art project. I'll have ten sketches up all done with the same oil pastels on the same paper, all 9" x 12" (but overlapping a little under the tape wherever they do, the center may not always go mechanically down the middle depending on borders of paintings.)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2013/70184-Door_Gator.JPG
Door Gator
9" x 12"
Homerun PAS oil pastels on Bogus Recycled Rough paper
photo reference by aolaranora for Sept. 2013 Oil Pastels Challenge

And here he is with the entire Door Grouping, having moved the snowflake. Didn't want to take it down completely, those became a small trademark when I put them up my first Christmas here and got lazy till I didn't have to put them up again for following Christmas. Now I just like them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2013/70184-Door_Art_Group_2.JPG
Proof to my neighbors and anyone visiting that I can draw real good. :D

I like the way he bridges between the velociraptor and modern nature art.

vhere
09-04-2013, 03:35 AM
Ari is so beautiful ;)

DrDebby
09-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Of course you draw well! Cool gator.

robertsloan2
09-05-2013, 08:39 AM
Purr thank you! I had fun with that gator, this project is a big kick for me finally decorating my door. I plan on filling all five panels with oil pastels artwork but may get bolder and looser as I work toward the bottom.

This is the first sketch in a new journal. I got a Stillman & Birn Beta hardbound journal that's got cold press paper instead of rough like the smaller journal. I like its texture too. Still 180lb paper, very strong and I'll probably use a lot of watercolor and other wet mediums in it later on. But page one had to be something cool to open up the book.

This building is across the street from the clinic I visit weekly. So I'm pretty familiar with it in all seasons. I penciled first and then inked with Pitt Artist Pens after reworking several sections for accuracy of proportions and angles. Perspective is entirely by eyeballing it. I took a reference photo for color in case I had to finish later, but the photo's from a slightly different angle at a different time of day, an hour later. I might try working from that sometime too.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2013/70184-Korean_Church_Sketch_9-4-2013.JPG
Korean Church on S. Van Ness Avenue in San Francisco, CA.
8 1/2" x 11"
Pitt Artist Pens landscape and grays sets
Stillman & Birn Beta journal heavy cold press watercolor paper.

DrDebby
09-05-2013, 03:05 PM
Great architecture drawing.

vhere
09-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Good one

I love the Beta and delta, the paper is just so gorgeous to use.

Joan T
09-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Nice variety of subjects and materials for sketching, Robert!!!

robertsloan2
09-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Dr Debby, thank you!

Purr, Joan! Thank you! I like the variety that I've been doing.

Viv, they are. I love all my Stillman & Birn journals but the Beta and Delta have a special place in my heart. I've almost filled that 7" x 10" so I'm happily contemplating which one to use next, have a couple of choices for "medium size" as opposed to Pocket Size or "letter size or bigger." I have that 8 1/2" x 11" Beta hardcover started, but that's too big sometimes. It'll be slow to fill. I've also got a 6" square one and might really enjoy the square format, can't remember if that's a Delta or a Beta, but it's wire bound and lovely and square. I think it's 6" might be 7" - it's in that range, not real huge but not little like the watercolor Moleskine.

Which is what the latest September Sketch is in. I had my Pocket Watercolor Moleskine in my vest pocket when I did not bring extra supplies on an appointment trip. So there I was outside the clinic again watching a male pigeon wander around pecking at seeds or crumbs. Studied him for several minutes and then as he walked under a car decided to go in. Sketched him fast in pencil and then painted him from memory. What I set out to memorize (body form, gesture and the arrangement of colors on his head and neck and chest) came out true, which I checked on him or another one on my way out. I'm very happy with this as a memory sketch, small and simple as it is.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2013/70184-Pigeons-Memory-WC.JPG
Pigeons from Memory
Daniel Smith watercolors on pocket Moleskine watercolor journal
From memory, minutes after a five minute bird watching study, gestures to remember head-body shapes and proportions also color patterns of head, neck and chest, general patterns on body, wings and tail. I don't think those are precise to the exact bird since I simplified them but probably within the normal range of pigeon patterns.

vhere
09-26-2013, 05:46 PM
I totally agree , the beta and delta are awesome. You can do anything with that paper. I took a Delta on a painting trip to Northumbria. I knew the northern, an east coast light, would be very different from the clear bright light of Cornwall, so chose the warmer coloured delta to play against those cooler colours. It was perfect. :)

Nice pigeon attitude and colours.

DrDebby
09-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Delightful pigeon sketch.

RainySea
09-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Rob, I've commented on most of these in other threads but wanted to say that the gestures sketches of the pigeons are wonderful. . . and you did good at remembering the colors for later as well! Nice.

robertsloan2
09-26-2013, 10:50 PM
Wow, thank you! The colors were a big part of it. Came as close as I could - it'd take some Luminescent colors in the Daniel Smiths to really describe them. I love the iridescence on pigeons' necks and heads. This was a particularly bright male too. I might play with him at home with some photo references too, where I do have some luminescent colors to glaze over the hue to really get its effect.

Here's a pastel sketch for Spotlight and my Sketch Wall, currently hanging behind my chair above the watercolor autumn landscape and next to the pink lilies on brown paper one - a nice grouping leaning to earth tones and warms once I put it up.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Sep-2013/70184-Pears_BrightestInBunch_9-2013_Spotlight.JPG
Brightest in the Bunch
9" x 12"
Girault pastels on Aquabee Hemp paper
Photo reference by Pat Isaac, in Sept. 2013 Pastel Spotlight challenge

Sketch wall is now on three walls and growing!

DrDebby
09-27-2013, 04:59 PM
Nummy pears. And such wonderful colors they come in.

RainySea
09-27-2013, 06:09 PM
beautiful pears, love all the color tones on them and wonderful highlights

robertsloan2
09-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Purr, thank you both! I love doing pears. Luckily I still had one uneaten!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Sep-2013/70184-Fruit_Still_Life_9-28-2013.JPG
Still Life, Pencil Sharpener and Fruit
7" x 10"
Sakura Koi watercolor (24 color set) on Stillman & Birn Beta journal, heavy rough watercolor paper. From life.

I meant to do this as an underpainting, but kept working on the watercolor and it decided it wanted to be a pure watercolor painting. I like how it came out. It's a little bit stronger than the photo shows.

Joan T
09-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Nicely done, Robert!

vhere
09-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Very nicely done with the colours reflected and the different feel of organic and man made forms.

DrDebby
09-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Wonderful still life.

robertsloan2
09-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Purr, thank you! I went up to post them in Artwork from Life and realized that yes, they fit the current Scavenger Hunt. So naturally I went back today to comment and got drawn into doing some more Scavenger Hunt items from life. Especially different views of someone special, of course!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Sep-2013/70184-Scavenger_Hunt_9-30-2013.JPG
Scavenger Hunt #331 items 4-8
#4: Useful Paring Knife
#5: Brown Ari
#6: Portrait of Ari (He moved)
#7: Close Crop of Ari's Foot (He moved again, flopped on his side)
#8: View from the Bottom of my Zippo Lighter
7" x 10" page in Stillman & Birn Beta series journal, extra heavy rough watercolor paper.
Sakura Koi pocket watercolor set 24 color - waterbrush and pans, some penciling with a #2 pencil.

I had to coax my main model out from under the chair for this, but he contentedly dozed off again under my walker in plain sight for a good ten minutes. Long enough to get all the views of him in!

He's gone back under the chair again now. Hehehe, I'm jamming them in at the end of the month, go fig!

DrDebby
10-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Super sketches. Glad to see Ari popping up again.

RainySea
10-02-2013, 03:42 PM
Cool life sketches. . . Ari is such an inspirational model to use from life I am sure. I can only draw cats from photos right now as none live around here.

vhere
10-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Lovely Ari :)

robertsloan2
10-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Purr thank you! Awww Rainy, I need to post more good Ari photos for you then. I know you have your sweet dogs to paint too, but no cats around is such a sad thing. Ari is very inspirational. He is so beautiful that if I don't want to do anything else, I still want to sketch him.

Debby, so happy you like him so much too!

Purring at you, Viv. Will have to draw him some more!

christinemlr
10-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Really enjoyed looking at this thread Robert, such great variety of expressions of your world. The Ari sketch is simply brilliant.
Xina

JennyMK
11-01-2013, 04:14 AM
Love Ari! He really is beautiful!