PDA

View Full Version : Mist at Dawn - comments, please ...

BobH
06-25-2001, 02:45 PM
This is an exercise from a book by Jack Reid. The lesson is titled "Mist at Dawn".
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2001/mistatdawn3.jpg

I had to stitch two scans together, thus the vertical line. And I think the colors are being washed out a little. This is my "self-critique" - sky is too light, the sunrise color is too much a straight line, should have used higher value colors and wetter paper to allow more blending, the rocks could be darker to heighten the contrast between the first sunlight touching the trees and rocks and the shadowed areas. Hmmm, what else am I missing, I'm sure there is more to learn from this one!

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it! :)

Bob

T-Rex
06-25-2001, 04:02 PM
Hi Bob,

Very well done, I haven't been doing watercolor for too long now but I do believe you see a lot more wrong than is there, I like it. I guess of all your self-critique notes the one thing that hit me when I first looked were the hard edges so maybe a little wetter, and you can always glaze over the rocks to deepen their value. Keep at it, the horizon looks terrific, good for you:clap: .....Karen

taghera
06-25-2001, 04:50 PM
Hi Bob, your being pretty hard on youself there, to me your picture looks great, i do however agree that the rocks could have more tonal values, everyone sees a picture different, and this one reminds me of calmness and solitude. well done. :)

Studio224
06-25-2001, 06:01 PM
Bob,

I see here something very delicate, very discreet. It's calm and quiet. I like it for its calm. Show us some more of your paintings. I am curious to know if they have the same delicacy in them...

Anne-Claire

Javier
06-25-2001, 08:10 PM
I think the reflections in the water are excellent -- they give the water movement.

I like the painting -- nice work.

j

BobH
06-26-2001, 08:43 AM
Karen, Hugh, Anne-Claire and Javier ... Thanks for your comments, I appreciate them. As I mentioned, this was an exercise from a beginning watercolor book so I was comparing my effort to that of the author. So I noticed differences. And I see a bunch of stuff that I'll do differently (hopefully better) the next time. But I do like the picture. I'm just beginning and this is one of my favorites.

Anne-Claire - No one has ever used the words "delicate" or "discreet" when talking about my paintings! Some of my stuff is about as delicate as mud-pies!! ;) LOL

Bob

Studio224
06-26-2001, 08:59 AM
Ok Bob... So we'll see next time one of yours, ok?...

Anne-Claire

sun_merman
06-26-2001, 05:17 PM
Have to agree with everyone else. I think you are being to hard on yourself.

I like the feeling this piece evokes!