PDA

View Full Version : Portrait (Where to go from here?)

PredatorSlayer1
09-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I had a family friend request a portrait of her son and grand daughter. I'm very happy to be doing this and pleased with how the painting is coming along but would love some expert advice on where to go from here. Thanks in advanced, Eric

This painting was done on a arches 7" X 10 1/4" 140 lb cold pressed watercolor block with primarily Winsor & Newton paints.
http://i44.tinypic.com/o03sev.jpg

Yorky
09-02-2013, 04:24 PM
What a beautiful composition. I'll leave it to the experts.

Doug

olliewood0702
09-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I think keep on doing what you are doing Eric. You just need to finish up the clothing and it's looking GREAT so far. Maybe some highlights in her hair and a touch more color in the skin of both. Nice job so far.

pjartwc
09-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Hi Eric, You have a wonderful portrait! Love the simple background. I think the eyes are fantastic. The little girl's mouth is a little weak. Perhaps a light pink on her upper lip - just to give it a little color. The man could use a little more definition of a chin. Again, not much, just a suggestion. I think you need some bright value. Perhaps in the girl's dress NEAR THE FACE, and lightening as you go down. You want all attention focused on the face.
This is going to be cherished by your friend.

teaberry222
09-04-2013, 03:31 AM
Keep going, you're doing a great job. Nostrils and mouths will need a little more value, and his sideburns and hairline near the sideburns should not have such harsh lines - try a little softening here and there, like you did with the rest of his hairline. Lots of emotion coming thru! Good luck.

maryinasia
09-04-2013, 03:34 AM
love how you did the top of his head/hairline

Valri Ary
09-17-2013, 01:29 AM
That dark dark in between their faces and again under her hair keeps pulling my eyes there. And shouldn't there be a bit of her neck in there, showing just a little bit? I want to look at the rest but the dark draws me in.
Maybe once you finish it all it won't be so strong.
I'll be back!!

PredatorSlayer1
09-17-2013, 08:56 PM
As I worked on this painting I was thinking about entering it in a contest that I was told about a couple months ago. The deadline crept closer and closer so I decided that I was not going to make it in time. Than on the day of the deadline I decided to go do a little painting on it and things started to come together very nicely. My wife was very impressed and convinced me to enter it. I than rushed to get it framed and was within about 10 minutes of the deadline for entry. I'm very new to watercolor portraits but think it is defiantly where my heart is with painting. I'm looking forward to sharing this with local people and even more excited to present it to the owner. This is my first commissioned piece. I do wish I had some time to work on it a little bit more to show her neck and some other things but I think I will leave it and move on to the next.
http://i43.tinypic.com/27zx0s6.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/9qzho5.jpg

PredatorSlayer1
09-17-2013, 09:11 PM
That dark dark in between their faces and again under her hair keeps pulling my eyes there. And shouldn't there be a bit of her neck in there, showing just a little bit? I want to look at the rest but the dark draws me in.
Maybe once you finish it all it won't be so strong.
I'll be back!!

Thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately I did not see this until after I had it framed and entered in the gallery. I really see what you are saying and wish I could fix it. Thinking back you have pointed out some things in my other paintings that really have helped me. Thank you for all of the advice.