PDA

View Full Version : Begonia x posted in pastels

Sarah Dowson
09-02-2013, 01:31 PM
This is my first post here. I hope you like this.

As I have a lot of close up flower photos, I thought it would be good to paint one, just for fun.

This is painted on Fabriano Ingres Pastel Paper, the smooth side. I didn't like it very much for this painting. I think next time, I may use a black support.

The orange in the background is not quite as bright as this.

I used mostly pastel pencils with a few soft pastels. Size 10"x10"

C&C's welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2013/1304117-Begonia_finished_web.jpg

marionh
09-03-2013, 04:27 AM
Sarah this is lovely and good use of colour. My only comments would be to try to go a little darker in the centre and shadows to give more depth and add a leaf or two to ground the flower which looks like it is floating a little.

PS this would look really good even more macroish (is that a word :lol:) by increasing the size of the flower to cover most of the canvas and have a couple or three edges going off the canvas. But that is another painting (HINT!)

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.

Sarah Dowson
09-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Thank you Marion for your really helpful feedback. I totally agree with what you are saying. I tried to get more detail and depth on the centre of the flower but couldn't as I had filled up the tooth. I won't be using this type of paper again, next time I will be using a sanded support. Anyway, it was my first floral painting and a true learning experience.

There will be another, sometime soon, I hope.

Thank you again. Sarah

Charlie's Mum
09-19-2013, 06:18 PM
You have done some lovely work in this Sarah, particularly for a first floral.
Marion has given good advice and as this is on paper, when framing, you could crop it to her suggestions - always good for stopping the subject from 'floating'!
It could look like this -

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Sep-2013/30494-Sarah_-_FB-Begonia_finished_web.jpg

I agree with you that a black support would probably look good - great impact!:)

Vivien Maloney
09-20-2013, 01:30 AM
Welcome to the Forum Sarah!

A lovely pastel painting, but I do like the more close-up crop with a frame as Maureen's suggested. It would also look great on a black paper too!
Fabriano Ingres is a very light paper to use, and as you discovered, you probably wouldn't use it again. If you wanted to use Fabriano paper, Fabriano "Tiziano" would be a better choice - lots of colors and a bit heavier. But Canson Mi-Teintes paper is heavier still and will take more layers of pastel. Then of course you can go for something heavier again, like the sanded papers. I use Art Spectrum Colorfix paper a lot - takes lots of layers and doesn't need fixing to hold the layers before framing. That's the fun of pastels - experiment!