PDA

View Full Version : 12 X 18 still life (NEWBIE)

dollardays
06-25-2001, 02:31 PM
I finished this a little over a month ago. It was my first attempt at a still life with pastels. (Maybe my last. LOL) Any comments appreciated. The kind of critique I get here at home is: "Aren't pears more yellow than that?" The ones I bought WERE green- so I made them green. Well, I am rambling...

Thanks,

Nora

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jun-2001/basketnfruit.jpg

billyg
06-25-2001, 05:29 PM
Welcome Nora,
Careful were you put your highlights,eg on the capsicum. Dont forget to use your darkest darks and lightest lights as plays against each other. If you had made the background a little lighter there would have been no need for the white edge. ( Some will say that Cezanne always used to do that) Hehehe.
Enjoy painting and lets see more soon.
Billyg :D:D:D:D

TeAnne
06-25-2001, 07:41 PM
Very nice still life. :) Don't stop doing them :D

Ohju
06-25-2001, 10:47 PM
I like Paul Cezanne's work...and your darks are great! I like the techture and the colors used, background is excellent! Good job, I say!:clap: ~Julie

dupliKate
06-26-2001, 10:08 PM
I like it Nora!. I tried to draw a braided basket once.....thought I was going to smash it in frustration. I am therefore particularly admiring your basket. Makes me want to try again!

Karen;)

dollardays
06-26-2001, 10:27 PM
... from everybody who responded to my post.

BILLYG: Yeah, I pretty much did the background without thinking or planning, just throwing a little color here and there. Problems like this could be eliminated by doing value sketches beforehand, I suppose. But who has the time??? Thanks for the advice.

KAREN: I love baskets, they're all over my house. I found the easiest way to do this one was squint at it a lot, after awhile a pattern seemed to emerge. Still, I did a lot of correcting, wasn't much fun. Will probably put the fruit in a bowl if I ever do another one. :D

Nora

dollardays
06-26-2001, 10:44 PM
... from everybody who responded to my post.

BILLYG: Yeah, I pretty much did the background without thinking or planning, just throwing a little color here and there. Problems like this could be eliminated by doing value sketches beforehand, I suppose. But who has the time??? Thanks for the advice.

KAREN: I love baskets, they're all over my house. I found the easiest way to do this one was squint at it a lot, after awhile a pattern seemed to emerge. Still, I did a lot of correcting, wasn't much fun. Will probably put the fruit in a bowl if I ever do another one. :D

Nora

mclaughlin
06-27-2001, 05:04 AM
Hi Nora,

you know, "they" say that Degas' Dancer-Pastels are wrong in color and movements, but how wonderful are they to our eyes...

keep on

Victor
07-01-2001, 12:30 PM
Hi Nora, I too once tried to paint a basket and nearly ended up a basket case myself so I know what its like. This is a beautiful painting so don't stop now....:clap:

Vic

Renee
07-01-2001, 02:07 PM
Dear Nore,

I hope this is not your last still life - my initial reaction was "Oh Wow!" The background and basket a luscious and the colors are rich. I like it.

The orange orange and lavender garlic keep grabbing my eye so that I need to make an effort to release my eye to look at everything else. But that is somewhat relieved by the intricasy of the basket. My only critique would be to do something to get the orange and garlic out of "isolation". I don't know, maybe I'm not making myself crlear here. I think you might have had the solution right from the start - maybe make the pear more yellow to bring in some of the orange color and contrast with the garlic.

Anyway, I like the power and freedom. You go girl!

Renee

dollardays
07-01-2001, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I am still pretty new to these forums, but I have to say that everyone is very supportive and helpful with their recommendations. I probably won't change anything with this one because I've already framed it but I think I will attempt another still-life thanks to everyone's comments on this one! I will just keep this one always because it was my "first" :D Thanks again. Nora

gmc
07-01-2001, 07:26 PM
Nora,
I was looking for this painting. I just wanted to add how lovely it is. I enjoy viewing it. I too know the difficulty in rendering baskets. You did a beautiful job. I wanted to add, for me, the background is so outstanding. I am not sure it were done on purpose or one of those happy artistic accidents, but look in the upper right hand corner of the background. As plain as day is the Crucifixion of Jesus on the Cross. At least thats what I see. Thank you for sharing. geri aka gloria

dollardays
07-02-2001, 07:10 AM
Now that you point it out... I see it. That is so cool! Thanks for pointing it out. I never would have seen it. It wasn't intentional but a "happy" accident, as you said.
A fellow Christian,

Nora:)