PDA

View Full Version : Still Life with Pears

Mado
09-01-2013, 01:42 PM
This is on Canson Mi-Touch, brown,32x 32 cm,Sennelier and Schmincke pastels, personnal photo.

I'm not happy at all with the surface on which the bowl and the vase rest : it is supposed to be covered with glass and that's why it is so reflective.
But it does not read as glass does it ?
Don't know what to do ...
C and C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2013/974816-77-poires.jpg

pastel65
09-01-2013, 03:10 PM
Very nice painting. No need to even worry about if it reads like glass. Pam

Theodorablau
09-01-2013, 05:36 PM
Mado, I really like the sense of light in this! Regarding the glass that doesn't look like glass; could it be that the reflections need to show the same transition of values as the objects which are reflected? At the moment these reflections read as a solid block of colour without any variation in it. Have a look at my 'Peonies' thread if you like; the flowers are reflected in a shiny wooden surface. Do you see what I mean?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1318568

Ruthie57
09-02-2013, 04:34 AM
No it doesn't look like glass....does it matter? Dorothea has a good point. Even on a shiny wooden surface shadows have transitions of colour and value. On the other hand, in this case, maybe too much variation in the shadows could detract from the Pears, the stars of this show, which I think you have done beautifully! Maybe this one is best left as it is?

Mado
09-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks a lot Pam, Dorothea and Ruthie.

You are right Dorothea ! I wonder how I missed this point. I've never thought about it to be honest.

I'm going to follow Ruthie and forget about glass for this time but in this case, are the cast shadows right ? With the light coming from the upper right corner shouldn't they go more on the left ?

(In case someone answer this question, don't be crossed if I don't reply quickly, I'm leaving for the hospital in an hour or so and don't know when I'm back...)

Theodorablau
09-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Mado, you are right, if these are supposed to be shadows, then they have to go to the left. Does your reference photo help?

Flojingle
09-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Wow! This is beautiful:) I love the Rembrandt lighting and golden color palette. The. Blue is a good offset to all the warmth. The forms are very nice and I don't read the ground as glass. If that's what you want then you may have to observe a bit further until it comes. I think that you would see the light/dark shading of the underside of the bowl and the jar reflected into the glass surface and perhaps not as dark. A lovely piece. Great work!

rugman
09-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Lovely painting! Really enjoy your colors in this.

Mettaphorica
09-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Agree, lovely painting, lovely colours.
cheers
Donna

Mado
09-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks John, Ron and Donna.

Mado, you are right, if these are supposed to be shadows, then they have to go to the left. Does your reference photo help?

Here is the ref Dorothea, but it does not help much as the light source comes more from above.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Sep-2013/974816-ref.jpg