PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pastel Monthly Challenge, September 2013

aolaranora
09-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Good late morning to all!

I have to take hosting responsibility for this month, due to the fact that our scheduled host is ill (and hopefully will get well soon!).
Mean while for those of You who doesn't know, my name is Tatiana and now You stuck with me and my stuff for whole September.

For our new to this forum people I will briefly go over rules of our monthly challenge.

The rules of this challenge are pretty simple: use Your imagination and show us what can You do with those Oil Pastels. We will work side-by-side and learn from each other.

You are free to post a "WIP", either to show us your process or if you need help and advice. We are all friendly and happy to help.

Please tell us: What support you used including any surface prep.
The finished size of your painting or sketch.
The brand of Oil Pastels used.
Whether you have used anything as an underpainting.

Other mediums may be used to complement, but the work must be primarily oil pastels.

Oil sticks and oil bars may be used. Wax pastels are welcome too.

You have a whole month, but if you are unable to post by the end of month , the thread will stay open....so You can do it at later time.

Most importantly - ENJOY and have fun!

Here is my selection of images for this month, like usually I'll attempt to give You variety of subjects, so everyone can make a pick...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2013/177144-DSCF8824.JPG

This one for our car lovers.
And here is a link to high resolution image too, if You need it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=175797&ppuser=177144

Another popular subject for those who like to work on flowers:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2013/177144-DSCF8367.JPG

...and high resolution link:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=175796&ppuser=177144

One of my personal favorites of all times - hay bales. Enjoy, if You like those!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2013/177144-IMG_2939.JPG

High res. image:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=175799&ppuser=177144

Couldn't resist, but here is another landscape for You:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2013/177144-IMG_2961.JPG

and a link to it: http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=175798&ppuser=177144

And to give You a something different for change: please welcome the Mr. Gator!... He is making so good model. At my opinion any way.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2013/177144-IMG_02601.JPG

If You want to see him more up-close and personal, here is a link:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=129941&ppuser=177144

Now it will be a good time to start planning You painting of the month.
I'm not expecting You start painting over Holiday, but if You do - good for You!

Looking forward to see what everybody will come up with. Good luck!

Flycatcher10
09-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks Tatiana, great photographs!

aolaranora
09-01-2013, 03:13 PM
You are very welcome, Mary! Glad You like my choice for this month.

Pat Isaac
09-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Thanks, Tatiana for hosting.....great choices.

Pat

aolaranora
09-01-2013, 04:26 PM
You are welcome, Pat! Let see who will have time to play with those choices!

crafor
09-01-2013, 06:16 PM
"Other mediums may be used to complement, but the work must be primarily oil pastels.

Oil sticks and oil bars may be used. Wax pastels are welcome too."
Are we to understand that the main medium can be oil bars, rather than oil pastels?
Ella

aolaranora
09-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Hello, Ella!
Good question, thanks for asking. I personally do not see anything wrong, if You use oil bars for Your painting and posting it here. We have oil bars thread at oil pastel forum, so really - why not?..

Yannse
09-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Wow! I love those pictures, great choice !Thanks , I am in my long weekend , I will do it in my beach sunset . ;)

lalflen
09-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Yahoo! I would love to try that Sunflower with my oil bars. Ella, thank you for asking!

aolaranora
09-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Jiemin, Linda, You both are very welcome, glad You like September's references. Pick whatever is inspiring and enjoy the process.
Maybe I need to get my Oil Sticks out too?... Hmmm... didn't try those for a while!

Yannse
09-01-2013, 11:27 PM
:cat: I am coming.:lol: It is on Strathmore pastel paper,8x10in. ,Mugyo and Reeves oil pastel.
:) http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Sep-2013/1111142-560849_552329414828681_1612396742_n.jpg

aolaranora
09-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Jiemin that was quick!
What an adorable Mr Gator! LOVE!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

tuscanny
09-02-2013, 03:03 AM
Hi, Tatiana. Thanks for the lovely photos. I've just finished this painting of sunflowers so I hope its alright to post them instead of the single sunflower photo. Its 30x40cm primed hardboard with grey underpainting. I just had to find out myself how difficult the yellows can be and decided to finish off all yellows before moving on to darker colours in future.
C+c welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2013/1256189-sunflower_2.jpg
Christel

dgodlove
09-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks for being our hostess with the mostest this month. :thumbsup: This will be the first time I've taken advantage of the monthly oil pastel paint challenge. Where and how do we post the WIP, and the finished pieces. :confused: Donna G.

As usual, I found the answer to my dilema after I posted the question. Sorry. Donna G.

thevaliantx
09-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I hope it was you that took the picture of the alligator. :lol:

dgodlove
09-02-2013, 09:52 AM
I did this one a while back and working on another right now. But thought I'd give you guys a chance to comment on this one. I am rather new at oil pastels, but learning more every day. The substrate is MiTientes Touch, gray, Mungyo soft oil pastels for artists, some Erengi Art Aspirer. 5 x 7 framed to 9x12 http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Sep-2013/813482-Sunny_Day_195.00,9_x_12_OP20120820OOLS.JPG

Pat Isaac
09-02-2013, 10:09 AM
That is a great gator.....and the eye is perfect!
Lovely vase of sun flowers, Christel and nice reflections in the vase.
I like the close crop of the sunflowers, dgodlove, and you could have fooled me about being new to oil pastels. Nice value ranges.

Pat

Flycatcher10
09-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Hey Jiemin, great looking gator! nice water movement and reflection, and the gator melds in with his surrounding perfectly. Wow you rendered him really well. I like the color choices - really well done!

Hi Christel, good work on the sunflower. Yellows are tough, but you managed nicely here. Good form on the flowers and vase, like the reflections as well.

Hi DL and welcome to Wetcanvas and Oil Pastel Forum! :wave: Great job on your sunflower, real nice crop of the photograph as you made the piece your own. You worked the Ops really nicely to get the shadows and highlights of the sunflower petals, and the middle is a beautiful job - those little details aren't always easy and you managed this nicely!

aolaranora
09-02-2013, 11:23 AM
All right.. easy answer first... thevaliantx - BINGO! It IS indeed my picture of the Gator. And we have sort of long-term personal relationship with this one. It is the same place in the wild me and mu husband were returned to for a few years to do photoshoot of Florida's wildlife. This time my dearest hubby managed to tap "his majesty" on a head (with his bare hand) to get him interested enough and pull his snout out of the water. Don't even ask... I have a good insurance policy for this guy, this is as much as I can do living with this sort of break neck.

Donna, great painting and yes, we post everything just right here on this thread. You did fine with posting, if You have any progress photos and want to share those too, You can do so. I really see nothing I can critic in painting Your posted. It is great, just do another one. For being "relatively new" (BTW, how exactly "relatively new"?) to the medium You do really well!

Christel, You just learned it by experience - yellows in OPs are perhaps the hardest color to manage. yet, I believe You did great job on those. The only problem I see with Your painting would be not handling of color of sunflowers, but not taking enough time to something what wasn't that impotent (evidently) for You at this painting - the vase.
Sunflowers are rendered well and have some nice 3D effect going - some looking at viewer, some looking away, well done! Vase is just present. Compare to the flowers it is much more simplified, somewhat not even (non-symmetric) drawing and slightly looking "cut out" compare to the rest of painting. I'm not sure I would do anything with this particular painting, just for the next time put more into drawing part before switching to color (what we all want to do here). I do like value gradation what You have going in Your background. It was nice idea, I want to see more of those. In whole painting really vase is the only part what needs some improvement. Do not totally give up on Your yellow color. You did WELL.

dgodlove
09-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Thanks to you all for posting comments. I like and respect all comments, good or perhaps not so good. Tatianna, relatively new, as far as oil pastels, is less than 12 months. Soft pastels less than 3 years. Graphite is over 60 years, during which I dabbled with acrylics. Really crappy at acrylics. Even worse at watercolor. but I was proud of the sunflowers. I am 67 years young and learning new things most days. I didn't really get started until I retired. But I plow into what I like with full force and painting is just the same. You may not know this but you have had a part in my finally joining the Oil Pastel Society. Thanks. Life is good to me.:wave:

AJC302010
09-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for taking over Tatiana. Good pic choices, especially the alligator and the car. I have a hard time with red, not turning the highlights into pink so this one I need to try, hopefully sometime this month.

tuscanny
09-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks Pat, Mary and Tatiana. I'm enjoying the challenges every new painting brings.
Beautiful croc and sunflower paintings!

aolaranora
09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Donna, 12 month, yes,.. it is relatively new... But it mean nothing. Some people getting good with it very quickly. You just have a feeling - this stuff works for You..
Acrylics.. I'm no good with those either and mostly ignoring those. Have few tubes of this and that, just for some utilitary purposes. Never would attempt to do full painting in it. Just not entirely my thing. You are not along here!

AJC302010, reds are next hard after yellows. I had all sorts of issues while working on my latest Amaryllis painting when it came to reds. The rest was easy. One of the secrets to handle those colors -You need to leave it along at some point and let it dry/get harder a bit before You continue with highlights etc. Otherwise they start mixing together.

tuscanny, You are very welcome! Looking forward to see more of Your works!

RainySea
09-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Beautiful sunflowers. . . both of them!

Love the gator on Strathmore paper. . . the texture is really nice! Beautifully done.

Yannse
09-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Danna, I like your sunflower . Oil pastel is my favorite media, you will love it. Some time people tell me how long they were worked on media, I feel pressure. As time flys I feel better now. Art is to remember a period of life time,and art is very personal, everyone have different opinion,their beauty,because unique. I want to enjoy myself and perhaps grow as painter. Let's forgot the age . Paint can be daunting when approached alone, enjoin OPS and watch our reward grow.
Christendom, yellow is very hard to paint, your sunflower looks nice in blue vase , just the photo is small for my eyes.
I am going to take my English class tomorrow , looking forward to see more of art works!

tuscanny
09-03-2013, 03:15 AM
The vase bugged me so much that I corrected it.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2013/1256189-sunflowera.jpg

aolaranora
09-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Looking MUCH better, tuscanny! Vase is definitely improved.
If it was bugging You a lot, m suggestion for the future - when it comes to something what has to be geometrically correct, as still life subject, make sure You did correct drawing first, then switch to Oil pastels and don't worry about it any more. Drawing doesn't really have to do detailed, drawing, but main outlines are essential. I care less if You can draw it by hand, use the greed method or any other. The only word of caution - if You are planning to work with light colors (us yellows), try to avoid graphite in Your initial drawing. It can mix with oil pastels and give it a dirty look. I was there and done it this is how I ended up working on toned surface and putting outlines of my floral subject in white. Much safe that dark.

lelo
09-03-2013, 12:56 PM
thanks Tatiana for the inspiration :)
once i saw these photos i had this crazy funny scene in my head :D ,, and had to put it on paper hope you like it.
your CCs are most welcomed as i didnt quite finish.

aolaranora
09-03-2013, 01:17 PM
This is so great, Asmaa!
Thank You so much for this wonderful version of Yours. Love it!

tuscanny
09-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Thank you Tatiana for your comments. I'll remember that tip about the graphite mixing with the light colours.
Asmaa, I can see you're having fun. Love it.

robertsloan2
09-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Great photos, Tatiana! I especially like the landscape with sheep in it and of course the gator. He was a pleasant surprise and Iím going to have to have a go at the giant reptile. I always thought gators were cool.

Yannse, your gator is so striking! I like all the different textures you got, the way you have a loose effect but still got so much detail. He looks very dramatic and dangerous. Well rendered and beautiful, the background has an almost abstract feel thatís gorgeous.

Christel, your sunflowers are cool. Looks like you painted them with heavy washes, getting something a lot like an oil painting with them. Well composed, I like the jazzy look of the blue vase and yellow flowers. Especially after you corrected the form, it still has that jazzy look.

DL Godlove, wow. Your sunflowers are gorgeous. I like the texture of the centers and the way you used washes to contrast with that rough texture. Beautiful pointillism suggesting the seeds, great shapes on the petals. Like the strong colors too, the blue-greens in the background set off the subject well.

Lelo, ROFLMAO!!! I love it! Your cartoon of the gator, sheep and red car - thatís just fantastic. Hilarious and beautifully drawn.

Now I've got to do that gator myself. He's just calling to me. I love nature, love reptiles and was inspired by some gator art years ago to try some experiments with color. This is going to be fun!

aolaranora
09-03-2013, 04:44 PM
Robert... So great to see You here! Can't wait for Your version of the gator it should be another "something with something".
I'm not sure if I will be able to paint anything to submit for the challenge this month. But maybe. I love those sheep in a field too... I want to do those in pastel sometime.

robertsloan2
09-03-2013, 11:46 PM
You don't have to wait any longer! I couldn't wait either... he's #4 in my Door Art series. As soon as I saw the reference I knew I wanted him on my door. The green light in the hallway (walls are mint green above the cream wainscoting) will alter the colors a bit.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2013/70184-Door_Gator.JPG
Door Gator
9" x 12"
Homerun PAS oil pastels on Bogus Recycled Rough paper
photo reference by aolaranora for Sept. 2013 Oil Pastels Challenge

And here he is with the entire Door Grouping, having moved the snowflake. Didn't want to take it down completely, those became a small trademark when I put them up my first Christmas here and got lazy till I didn't have to put them up again for following Christmas. Now I just like them.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2013/70184-Door_Art_Group_2.JPG
Proof to my neighbors and anyone visiting that I can draw real good. :D

I am using the same oil pastels throughout this series for consistency among them. Eventually I plan to fill all five of the panels, so that'll be a total of ten OP pieces.

aolaranora
09-04-2013, 12:34 AM
Robert, I saw HIM on Facebook first!... I'm in love!..

We are getting a "cute Gator" collection here and it is only beginning of the month! I want more!

lelo
09-04-2013, 06:43 AM
Tatiana ,Christel, Robert , thank you all for your nice words so happy that you like my lil drawing :)
the gator character is a known cartoon figure but the sheep is my creation still working on making her looks more evil :evil: she is going to break his heart lool :D

Christel yes! i am having lots of fun , this one is dedicated to my little daughter :heart: who was drawing by my side.

i have to say Yes working with red in small areas (A4 canson ) can be a nightmare ! the high lights turns pink so easily :confused: it took lots of erasing , scratching , waiting to get it right.

ai2ai
09-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Tatiana, thanks for hosting. My hayroll impression.
Jiemin - that's impressive, beautiful textures and colors, very nicely executed! DL -striking flowers, great textures too. Robert - like your fun collection. Christel - well done on the still life. Lelo - sure funny!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Sep-2013/315161-hay_roll.jpg

Flycatcher10
09-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Christel very nice changes to your vase. Final still life is a wonderful painting - needs framing.

Lelo - nothing like combining all three characters in your painting. Wow it works great - love the animation and I'll bet your daughter really enjoyed this piece! So nice to see where your imagination took your painting!

Robert - now this is a real creative way to decorate your front door! I had the same kind of door on my apartment over on Pine Street when I lived in San Francisco during the 80's, never even gave a thought to doing something like this. Love the Gator - "here's looking at you!" Beautiful blue gator - liking his heavy texture and lumps.

Ai2ai - always a pleasure and your version of the landscape is loose and lovely. Wonderful choice of colors.

aolaranora
09-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Ai2ai, this is a beauty! So much dynamic and movement in this littele painting. Very strong work, congrats!

tuscanny
09-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Nice croc, Robert. Great idea with the door.
Ai2Ai, I love the texture in your haystack painting.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

ai2ai
09-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks Mary, Tatiana, Tuscanny.

thevaliantx
09-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Another haystack.....Monet lives on! (very nice haystack painting, I must say)

tucscanny, if you look closely at the bottom of the vase, the left side of the bottom has a hard transition going from line to ellipse. Ellipses have no sharp turns, they're circles tilted. You can still EASILY fix this one by either scraping away paint and adjusting the ellipse or extending the width of the ellipse and moving the side(s) of the vase out ... pick your poison! Personally I think the vase looks too skinny, but that might just be me (yeah, I wish, lol)

Tatiana, making SURE that the drawing is as desired BEFORE adding color is something that I'm working with my son on right now. He's only seven, and right now he's mostly using oil pastels (we've tried acrylics together). It hasn't taken him long at all to figure this out. I really do not know much about the master artists of the past, but it seems that ALL of them were master drawers before they ever got serious about adding color to their work.

aolaranora
09-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Drawing is important when it comes to Still Life or better yest - to portraiture. Not so much with landscape. But I'm totally agree, You have to have some drawing concept before switching to color work. Makes life much easier.

tuscanny
09-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Thanks, thevaliantx. Fixed my ellipse but I won't post again. It does help to know where to check for details/mistakes.
Christel

MervB
09-05-2013, 02:55 AM
Just started on this one - mainly Sennelier, Neopastel and Jaxon oil pastels (God knows, they are all in a old box including some I pickup in Egypt) - on Art Spectrum Pastel paper - 9x12inches using shapers to blend - if it looks like I know what I'm doing - fool ya!!

robertsloan2
09-05-2013, 03:53 PM
ai2ai, wow! I love that Impressionist hayroll landscape, it's so beautiful. Gorgeous rich color and the way it dances together is so great. Lively strokes and so much motion too.

Merv, very cool beginning! I like your palette and what you're doing, can't wait to see more.

thevaliantx
09-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Good to see you, Merv! :wave:

What were you doing way out in the middle of BFE, that would have you buy oil pastels? Did you intend on visiting an oil refinery, but got the wrong address? :D

aolaranora
09-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Merv, I believe You handling those color shapers of Yours just fine. So far all is looking good, just keep on going. Love Your pallet!

dgodlove
09-05-2013, 07:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2013/813482-100_1724.JPG First stage-make the drawing :cool:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2013/813482-100_1725.JPG Second- lay on some local color :eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2013/813482-100_1727.JPG third- add lights and darks :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Sep-2013/813482-100_1729.JPG Finish up- 8x10 MiTientes Touch (Tobacco) Munygo extra soft, NeoPastels, Sennelier :crossfingers: :crossfingers:

aolaranora
09-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Donna, absolutely beautiful rendering of that hay roll. Bravo! I love to paint those things too... much fun. Not sure even how to look at those - landscape or... Still Life?.. :angel:

Marvell
09-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I got my ref photos and sites mixed up, lol, but thought I'd post this here anyway if that's ok. Blues aren't showing up right on this photo I took for some reason. OP on Multimedia Pastel board, 8 x 10, ref photo by Pat Isaac.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2013/978164-3_Pears_on_a_Table,_OP_2013bx800.jpg

aolaranora
09-07-2013, 03:44 PM
No problem... Beautiful painting, Marvell! I like all about it. And even it is wrong thread.. Thanks for posting! Those pears are delicious!

Pat Isaac
09-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Yes, nice piece and thanks for using my photo.

Pat

tuscanny
09-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Donna, beaut of a haystack. I like the purple in the shadow.
Marna, awesome.

Flycatcher10
09-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Donna your landscape is awesome, really like seeing your WIP. The colors used were a beautiful combination especially that punch of purple against the yellow for the hay stack. Nice lighting.

Marna love your pears - shapes and colors are wonderful. I couldn't help but notice the beautiful table cloth with the background - shows delicate and elegant with the slight fold and hint of edge. Perfect.

dgodlove
09-11-2013, 08:09 AM
Marvell-Love the pears. Glad you got lost! We would not have had the opportunity to see these. Thanks all for the comments. First time at a challenge. I don't think it'll be my last. I actually got off my chair and began to paint again. Thanks Tatiana!

Pat Isaac
09-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Almost missed the wonderful haystack, Donna. The texture of the hay is just right.

Pat

Marvell
09-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Thank you, everyone for the kind comments on my pear painting. I'm enjoying oil pastels more than I thought I would. I had such poor quality OPs before and can see what a difference better quality OPs make. I'm still using medium quality ones and can't imagine how nice it is to work with the really good ones! Hope to get some Sennelier OPs soon. I'm really enjoying all the great paintings here!

dgodlove
09-13-2013, 03:57 PM
I am having a difficult time in posting the jpegs. I don't know what is wrong. The insert icon is circled in blue. Can anyone explain what that means. Sorry guys.:(

Pat Isaac
09-13-2013, 05:02 PM
I am not sure what you are using for your images, Donna. I tried the image uploader is it is working fine.

pat

RainySea
09-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Asmaa, that is such a fun drawing. . . the car is well done and the animal critters are so cute!

Robert, love the gator (and the whole door). The eye is perfect. . . he looks very sly.

Ai, love the colors and strokes in your hay bale scene. I can feel movement when I view as if I'm out there on a Fall day feeling the breezes through the trees/grass. Nicely done.

DL, your hay bales are also great. How do you like using the OP on Canson Touch? I have not tried that support.

Marv, beautiful pears. Nice texture.

dgodlove
09-13-2013, 09:52 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2013/813482-100_1752.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2013/813482-100_1753.JPG http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Sep-2013/813482-100_1762.JPG
I am really not happy with this one. Please comment on suggestions. I feel I failed this one. :(

aolaranora
09-14-2013, 12:40 AM
Well, well!... I really wouldn't call this one a failure. Reference is not that easy and getting try on it already shows that person has some guts...
One thing what I would do different, if I would be painting... The main person here is a Mr Crock. It is given. I wouldn't use so saturated yellow what is competing with Your main player. I would tune it down a bit and then perhaps develop a Gator ( a bit more contrast here and there a bit sharper edges here and there) some more... Right now all stuff there is beautiful, but there is too much of value and color competing with each other. this is my only problem. But I personally like it. You should too. It is nice painting, yes, it could be improved, but I can say the same about most of painting I see including all those I painted.:wink2:

Pat Isaac
09-14-2013, 08:28 AM
I wouldn't call it a failure either. I think Tatiana has given you some good advice.

Pat

dgodlove
09-14-2013, 09:30 AM
And I think I'll take it. !!

RottumArt
09-14-2013, 03:54 PM
Hi All,

Here an impression of the sunflower. I wanted to give the painting a slight abstract quality, in which I think I succeeded reasonably.

Greetings,

Renť

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Sep-2013/1364228-zonnebloem.JPG

dgodlove
09-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Rene, I truly like it. I especially like the different colors in the leaves. I would not have thought of that. I would now. Thanks

tuscanny
09-15-2013, 12:37 AM
Dgodlove, you picked a subject I didn't see chance for. Am Looking forward to seeing your update.
Rene, I like how your background colours merge. The red next to the green attract my attention.

RottumArt
09-15-2013, 03:32 AM
I used complemantary colours to give the picture more interest, since the composition isn't that dramatic. The greens of the leaves are offset with reds which give, at least in theory, more depth and interest to the area. Same goes for the petals of the flower which are contrasted with blue. The drawing is one big experiment since it is only my second OP painting, my first of a flower.

aolaranora
09-15-2013, 01:48 PM
Renť, lovely done painting what definitely shows personal style.
My favorite part here is the way You handled that background. Gradual changes from blue to red looks very attractive, yet, complimented flower on all possible ways. One word- congratulations!..

AnnKB
09-22-2013, 10:27 AM
an attempt at OP (mainly Neopastels) on watercolour paper which I've never used before,with a quick wash of red inktense pencil .
still not sure about WC paper but will play some more as I have several pads of off white paper and I don't really paint! I also struggle with landscapes but practice makes perfect!
Yannse - love your croc and Ai2ai love the texture in your haybales.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Sep-2013/973128-HaybalesOPWCpaper.jpg

aolaranora
09-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Hello, Ann! Welcome to monthly challenge!
Watercolor paper is perfectly fine for Oil Pastels. Lot of artists use it.At my opinion You did wonderful job with this little landscape. I love that place and painted it several times myself in pastels and oils ( I don't have OP version yet).
I enjoy Your rendering of round bales just as much as those background trees full of fall colors. Well done and thank You for posting!

Pat Isaac
09-22-2013, 10:47 AM
What a great sunflower...I love the colors in the leaves.

Pat

Pat Isaac
09-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Nicely done, Ann. I often see scenes like these on my way to VT.

Pat

AnnKB
09-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks for your kind comments. I normally prefer soft pastels for landscape attempts <gasp> but am not giving up on OPs. that one I did in an hour and a half but I think WC paper would be good for building up lots of layers over a period of time.

I hope to do the sunflower next on some smoother pastel paper.
thanks for posting a great variety of photos
Ann

tuscanny
09-23-2013, 12:43 AM
Ann, I like your use of colour. Nice.

poulpi
09-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Hi ! Here is the red car, on A5 sennelier pad with neopastels. I am not very proud of it, but still had fun to do it.

tuscanny
09-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Poulpi, I like your painting especially the redness of the car.

Pat Isaac
09-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Important that you enjoyed doing it. I like the bright colors.

Pat

aolaranora
09-30-2013, 01:48 PM
I think it is nice try, very fresh work and I'm very happy somebody painted that cute thing... I'm with Pate here: most important part - is having good time. We all have art work we wouldn't include at juried shows, never-less this kind of work is where experience is coming from.

gakinme
10-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Tatiana, thank you for these great photos. I know it's October but I only finally have the motivation to draw one tonight.

Dollar Store oil pastel in Fabriano Artist Journal 6◊9 inch.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Oct-2013/86669-croc_op.jpg

Flycatcher10
10-16-2013, 07:26 AM
Real nice Sandra! I especially like his eye and the patterns that you caught on his skin.