PDA

View Full Version : Home made casein glue storage

Cara Vaggio
09-01-2013, 10:47 AM
I am saving naturally occurred curds on my skim milk, to use them in the future for casein glue. It doesn't happen often, but sometimes it is inevitable to see curds forming in your milk, especially when the container is small and it has been inside the fridge for a few days. When I notice some curds, I let the milk outside the fridge for one day, until all the whey is separeted from the curds. Then I drain it, wash it. Now, I know how to use it for casein glue, mix fresh curds and Hydrated lime powder, proportions 5:1 (you can use teaspoons), then add enough water and stir until you get a ketchup like consistency. But, what if I want to save the curds for the next year? Questions:
1 Can I dehydrate the curds in the microwave, slowly, until they become crust, hard as a stone? Or it will become useless casein for glue purposes?
2 Can I store the fresh curds inside vinegar inside the fridge?
3 Can I store the fresh curds in airtight bags, and keep them in the freezer forever?
4 Is it better to store the curds or the glue?

Edradour
09-07-2013, 04:23 AM
I'd avoid the microwave, it may change your protine structure

In my fridge I have been storing washed home-made casein* for about three to four weeks - that is still fresh.

*Skim milk, sour cream started and vinegar

Cara Vaggio
09-21-2013, 08:57 AM
This video helps a lot:clap:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwhjGK95aNE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwhjGK95aNE)